Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk motorcycle helmet

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Our oldest put the bug in his dad's head..."I'm gonna put a copper strip on my helmet".
The Mister hummed and hawed and then put a copper strip on our sons' helmet....then the brain started churning big time!

He then made this...yes, a motorcycle helmet, yes, he has worn it to town and yes, he gets some awesome looks!

steampunk001.jpg
[/IMG]

/|\

One of the Regulars
I like it. Needs a Victorian-style fin on top though.

Of course if you saw my bike in the other thread, you'll know that it doesn't really go with my ride. I still like it, though.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
scottyrocks said:
Good question - drilling through the shell makes this virtually useless helmet even more so.

I find your comment a bit snarky for my liking.

This is more of an art peice, something that one who was interested in "Steampunk" items might like.

The copper is pounded to shape and small holes are drilled for the rivets to go into.
While he has worn it to town on ocassion, IMHO, I find it no more "useless" than any other 'jockey' style helmet, myself preferring to wear a full face.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
/|\ said:
I like it. Needs a Victorian-style fin on top though.

Of course if you saw my bike in the other thread, you'll know that it doesn't really go with my ride. I still like it, though.

He thought of that and putting brass gears on it...of course they seem to harder to find now that I want them!
It doesn't really go with our 'ride' either but it is alot of fun to watch people's faces :)

He should make more of them..bet they sell!
HD

That was my thinking, selling them more for 'art' than actual wear. Maybe E-bay?

Edward

Bartender
Etsy is probably a better bet than ebay, but definitely those would sell. Might be worth considering a similar design of bicycle helmet? Pretty much impossible to find a cool vintage vibe one of those...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Honey Bee said:

This is more of an art peice, something that one who was interested in "Steampunk" items might like.

The copper is pounded to shape and small holes are drilled for the rivets to go into.
While he has worn it to town on ocassion, IMHO, I find it no more "useless" than any other 'jockey' style helmet, myself preferring to wear a full face.

As an art piece I find it quite fascinating. I love looking at it.

As a 30+ year rider, I have lost too many friends, too many to head injuries that could have been prevented by decent headgear, to take such helmets seriously as 'protection.' Sorry if it came across that I didnt like the artwork. I do. I just wouldnt wear it.

I still don't know why such curt remarks must often be included in certain threads. I suppose somehow it's hot-button topics that alert those who know what surely must be best for everyone to insert their displeasure...even if only in some small cutting way....with an ever-ready argumental lecture waitng in the wings. I've ridden motorcycles since 1964..and have my own opinion about helmets. In my state wearing one isn't madatory...so I can wear...or not wear what I want. I know that infuriates some....but the scolding tatics sure get old...and always beg to transform a pleasant thread into a dread thread. I suppose I am contributing to it...but it just seems so damn unneccessary...
HD
Who said anything about ...protection?

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
scottyrocks said:
As an art piece I find it quite fascinating. I love looking at it.

As a 30+ year rider, I have lost too many friends, too many to head injuries that could have been prevented by decent headgear, to take such helmets seriously as 'protection.' Sorry if it came across that I didnt like the artwork. I do. I just wouldnt wear it.
Glad you liked the art work. That was my point.

:eek:fftopic:
Your friends chose which helmets to wear...or not to.
My grandpa gave many years in the military so they had this freedom.
My point was to share my husbands' creativity of which I am proud of...as for his choice of helmets...that's his choice. On an MC, going as fast as most do and/or how others respond to MC's on the roadway...and I do know this first hand, been there, seen it....The Mister says I should leave it at that.

Mav

A-List Customer
<sigh.> Cool looking helmet. That said, there is statistical analysis and insurance data that says wearing a helmet is a waste of time, and if this was back in the my biker days (and a member of ABATE when it was in the early days of "A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments" and not whatever namby- pamby thing it goes by now) I'd quote those stats, but I just don't care anymore.

Cool looking helmet.'Nuff said.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Honey Bee said:

I say this not to be snarky, but just a word of caution since you said your son has been wearing it around town. I don't know if North Carolina has a full effect helmet law. However, if it does and an officer takes a close look at the helmet your son could get into trouble with it. A modified shell is illegal here on the West Coast as it is deemed "unsafe" and not to manufacturers specifications, so I'm just trying to give you a heads up. Also, I agree with you, half shell helmets are pretty useless. Full face all the way!

That said, I think it looks really neat!
If your husband is up for it, I think it would be neat to make one with a brown leather cover and the brass and copper piping and base.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Atomic said:
I say this not to be snarky, but just a word of caution since you said your son has been wearing it around town. I don't know if North Carolina has a full effect helmet law. However, if it does and an officer takes a close look at the helmet your son could get into trouble with it. A modified shell is illegal here on the West Coast as it is deemed "unsafe" and not to manufacturers specifications, so I'm just trying to give you a heads up. Also, I agree with you, half shell helmets are pretty useless. Full face all the way!

That said, I think it looks really neat!
If your husband is up for it, I think it would be neat to make one with a brown leather cover and the brass and copper piping and base.

Here in California u must have DOT helmet or it's $150 ticket... Our youngest found that out first hand...Oldest could pull out badge...the Mister just takes his chances.
Men. Whadya gonna do?

I will put the bug in his ear about a leather one! That'd be cool!

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Honey Bee said:
Here in California u must have DOT helmet or it's $150 ticket... Our youngest found that out first hand...Oldest could pull out badge...the Mister just takes his chances.
Men. Whadya gonna do?

I will put the bug in his ear about a leather one! That'd be cool!

For some reason I read your location as North Carolina the first time I looked. Sorry for that! Yes, California is pretty strict on everything. I've recieved my share of budget helping notices from the CHP!

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Atomic said:
For some reason I read your location as North Carolina the first time I looked. Sorry for that! Yes, California is pretty strict on everything. I've recieved my share of budget helping notices from the CHP!

LOL! Maybe one from my son!

"Welcome to the Republic of Cal-ee-for-nya comrade!" :eek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was not intending to be preachy. Motorcycling, and especially helmets, can be a touchy subject among long-time riders.

I am all for freedom of choice. Years ago, I went to Albany on a pro-choice rally with ABATE of NY. There were over a thousand bikes, and therefore even more people (couples) in attendance. I think that, during the parade into the capital, that I was one of maybe a half dozen riders wearing a helmet.

I was asked by more than a few people why I was wearing a helmet at an anti-helmet rally. I replied that it was not an anti-helmet rally, but a pro-choice rally, and although I choose to wear a helmet, I will defend their (and my, if I so chose) right to choose to not wear one.

You could actually see the light bulbs go on over some of their heads.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Looking at that brass beauty makes me want a Rocketeer replica helmet so bad I can taste it... and it being metal I imagine the taste is not that good.

But I still think it was the best example of Deco/steampunk I have ever seen...

I'm sorry, I digress, I think it is a great looking helmet... he should try a full faced one next... like the Rocketeer's.

Mind like a steel trap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy