Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steerhide Cheyenne

Dav

One Too Many
Good morning
I placed an order with Aero yesterday for a Cheyenne in black heavy steerhide, very much inspired by this one
004-12.jpg

Just wondered if anyone can give me a good reason not to have the steerhide but to change to FQHH instead? I already own a FQHH highwayman so this time I thought I'd try the steer as I preferred the look and feel of the steer in the samples I received.
I'm just a little concerned that I may be disappointed after owning such a fine FQHH jacket?
Any opinions would be greatfully received

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hey Dav... your picture link appears to be broken... can't see the picture.
Since you already own a FQHH jacket I'd personally recommend going with another material jacket. I've heard the steerhide is heavy... possibly heavier than the FQHH, except for the aged tan steerhide which is lighter... it's the same weight as the midweight horsehide.

Since you liked the steerhide samples I say stick with that. :)

Congrats on your Aero jacket order! You and I both basically placed our orders at the same time so hopefully we'll get ours close to the same time too. :D

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Dav, I cannot offer any reason not to get steerhide. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a hard time deciding. I'm fairly influenced by what all the other Loungers prefer and have come to conclusion that the FQHH might be the greatest thing since petrol. However, Will’s heavy steerhide is under represented here on the FL and my guess is it’s every bit as lovely in the long run. I personally would love to see some detailed pics of Aero's steer. I vote for the steerhide.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Nice photo - Mr Sierra Charriba always looks great!

Regarding the hide choice - I've never seen or handled a jacket made from Areo's heavy steer, so my experience is limited. However, Amanda did send me some samples when I was choosing my Highwayman and I ruled it out and went with the heavy front quarter horse - I felt the heavy steer was just too stiff and heavy to be practical. Only my personnel feeling of course.

Cheers

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks gents for the feedback,
I understand what you mean about it being too thick to be practical it is a concern of mine, but I'm hoping after some hard wear it will break in nicely.

Peacoat

Bartender
Aero's steer is thick and heavy, but break in is not difficult. You just need to follow some of the natural beak-in recommendations in other threads--no washing, please!--and wear it some. You won't be disappointed.

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
Hello, friends. Yes, steerhide is stiff, heavy and thick but also is practical. I love very much my Cheyenne and many people ask me where I bought it, to imitate. But also, many people say that is too much heavy, so you must be ready to his weigth, because you really will feel it .

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks again for the advice
You know how it is, you wake up in the morning and start to think you've made a mistake
Well my mind is settled now, I'm very much looking forward to the challange of such a stiff hide, now for the really hard bit, the wait.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I much prefer their steerhide to their horse. I have seen the FQHH and I have their midweight horse. I have 6+ oz steerhide from them and I just love it. It feels more like a motorcycle jacket, which is what I wanted. Its heavy, its stiff, and I like the grain more. I wanted the heaviest stiffest leather I could get from Aero. I was shocked when Amanda steered me away from the FQHH and towards the steer. I talked to will and told him I wanted the heaviest brown steer he had and luckily he had just enough of some very heavy leather to make a full jacket from it. I think the FQHH develops a nicer patina and has a beautiful shiny appearance, but it lacks the grain I like. My steerhide jacket has a very pebbled grain that the FQHH just doesnt have. Im in love with their steer. My next Aero will also be steerhide. I know Im the minority, but there are a few of us out there.

Dav

One Too Many
I agree with you about the pebble effect that is one of the things that drew me to the steer over the horse.
Here is a photo to show the differance
Steer on left horse on right
027.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
I never knew that Aero's heavy steer had such a great amount of grain. The samples I received a couple of years back were almost undistinguishable from heavy FQHH. Same smooth surface and waxy feel but a tad thicker. The sample looks good and appears to have a good weight behind it. Good luck with the jacket. (Everything considered? Correct size, details, etc...?)

Dav

One Too Many
JanSolo said:
(Everything considered? Correct size, details, etc...?)
Thanks JanSolo I went through it all with Amanda plus I already own a highwayman so am reasonably confidant I've got things correct.
I will post pictures in your 3/4 length coat thread when it arrives.

JLStorm

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
I never knew that Aero's heavy steer had such a great amount of grain. The samples I received a couple of years back were almost undistinguishable from heavy FQHH. Same smooth surface and waxy feel but a tad thicker. The sample looks good and appears to have a good weight behind it. Good luck with the jacket. (Everything considered? Correct size, details, etc...?)

I think its hit or miss. Even some parts of my jacket are more grainy than others. Honestly, I think the coolest look is when you have a panel thats really grainy and then another that isnt...I have no idea why I like this. They will find an extra pebbled looking hide if you ask. Id look at my jacket for more details, but its back at aero, I miss it!

PoohBang

Suspended
If it were me, I'd go horsehide. There is a reason most people consider horse the best... because it is. Look at vintage jackets, all the top shelf ones were horse, not steer.

If it's a price thing then go steer, as they were the cheaper of the two. Also resell value will be lower on a steer than a horse.

JLStorm

Practically Family
PoohBang said:
If it were me, I'd go horsehide. There is a reason most people consider horse the best... because it is. Look at vintage jackets, all the top shelf ones were horse, not steer.

If it's a price thing then go steer, as they were the cheaper of the two. Also resell value will be lower on a steer than a horse.

Thats a very heavily debated (and heated) argument. Trying to choose which is better always seems to come down to a subjective decision. Leather processing has changed, hide weights have changed that are used, thread and treatments have changed. It was well put by one member on the forum a while back, that you will be dead before you can make a decision on which leather wore better, because regardless, both last a very very long time. My personal opinion is that steer is tougher and better protection, its available in thicker weights for less cost due to sourcing restrictions on horse. The increase in weight is probably what makes it feel more protective. Horse does seem to have a bit more stretch which may be why it seems to last longer than the old steer, but I really believe a lot of that is the tanning process used. Either way, you'll be in the ground before a modern day steer or horse jacket wears out.

I have asked Aero this question as well. They believe that both hides have their pluses and minuses, but not when it comes to durability, waterproofing, or longevity. They warranty their heavy steer the same as the FQHH, even though its not mentioned on their website.

As far as resale value, you really have to look and net profit. Horse costs more, it should resell for more, but what are the net proceeds? Additionally, a bigger question would be, will you be reselling your jacket? I have each one of my jackets custom designed for me to my particular measurements...no way am I reselling anything. I may buy more in the future, but I wont sell a single one.

Yes, horse is more expensive again due to sourcing requirements and shipping costs. Another thing to think about is what is considered "natural" death. One of the reasons I will most likely not buy horse again is some of the stories I have heard from ranchers "in the know" about ways to ensure a "natural" death. Im sure a few people give the large majority a bad name, but its enough to weigh on my conscience. Ya, cows are slaughtered, but Im eating them anyway and the death is less painful than some of the horse stories I have heard.

Anyway, I didnt want to take the thread off topic, but it I have seen many people swayed towards horse because of this "but its the best!" argument, when in reality, the reasons to choose one over the other are more about looks, feel, and break in periods than function. No reason to dissuade anyone who is perfectly happy with steer just because your opinion differs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner