Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steerhide Cheyenne

Dav

One Too Many
JLStorm you raise some very valid points and not off topic at all.
For me the choice was purely down to look and feel of the hide.

PoohBang

Suspended
since the post was directed at me since I was quoted on it.

I started what I said, with "If it were me."

The Cheyenne is more of an overcoat so it was made to get a lot of weather and Horse is usually a more weather resistant leather than steer.

Yes, Steer is usually thicker than horse, unless it's draft, or Bull hide is even thicker if you want to go there.

As far as resale value, Horse is worth more because it's horse and only so many jackets are made of horse. Hence the value is more than the dime a dozen cow or steer.

and not to start another thread but...

I'm not sure how the animal is killed is a choice of which to buy. Really? Have you ever seen a cow slaughtered?

No cow or steers are natural deaths... they're all slaughtered. If horse is natural then it's the only one, so you'd have more of a chance on getting a "Natural Death" animal in horse then bovine.

And if you were worried about killing an animal for it's skin then maybe you shouldn't be wearing leather in the first place.

the choice of the jacket's leather is totally up to the buyer (if given one).

again, if it were me, I'd go horse.

We can discuss Black or Brown later....

JLStorm

Practically Family
PoohBang said:
since the post was directed at me since I was quoted on it.

I started what I said, with "If it were me."

The Cheyenne is more of an overcoat so it was made to get a lot of weather and Horse is usually a more weather resistant leather than steer.

Yes, Steer is usually thicker than horse, unless it's draft, or Bull hide is even thicker if you want to go there.

As far as resale value, Horse is worth more because it's horse and only so many jackets are made of horse. Hence the value is more than the dime a dozen cow or steer.

and not to start another thread but...

I'm not sure how the animal is killed is a choice of which to buy. Really? Have you ever seen a cow slaughtered?

No cow or steers are natural deaths... they're all slaughtered. If horse is natural then it's the only one, so you'd have more of a chance on getting a "Natural Death" animal in horse then bovine.

And if you were worried about killing an animal for it's skin then maybe you shouldn't be wearing leather in the first place.

the choice of the jacket's leather is totally up to the buyer (if given one).

again, if it were me, I'd go horse.

We can discuss Black or Brown later....

Actually, I was quoting you, but it was more directed at the general population who think that horse is the best but may not have a reason. A lot of people parrot others when they say horse is the best. I think a more appropriate response is really that they just like horse more. Its like the Ferrari vs Lamborghini debate when it comes down to hides this good. Like I said, Ive just seen a lot of people who are new to this level of jacket and the options available swayed towards horse by opinions that are stated as fact. Either choice is fine, but I am just hoping that maybe someone reads this thread who really wants steer and follows through with their order rather than switching to a leather they really didnt want or need, simply because someone said its better.
I dont want to turn this into a horse vs steer battle, there are enough of those on this forum. I'll just run two things by you.

1. Aero who makes the coat states their the chrome tanning process they use generates hides that are equally water "resistant". I know people have different opinions on this one and most lean towards Horse for water resistance, in fact enough people lean towards horse that it may be the case in general. However, the people who source the leather and make the jackets have stated that in their opinion its the tanning processes and chemicals which fill the pours of the leather that make both resistant to water up to a certain point. They do not believe that its the leather itself for their jackets. Other jackets may be different depending on tanning and hides, etc. I suppose Aero could be wrong on this one, but I do trust Amanda and Will when it comes down to these kinds of things.

2. Did you know that starvation, dehydration, and heatstroke are considered natural death? Did you know that certain people will leave horses no longer able to work, ride, or of use to them separate from other horses so they eventually starve and or dehydrate which is exacerbated by their isolation from the rest of the animals, since they are a social species? This counts as a natural death and they can recoup funds from the animals hide. They make no money on a hide if the animal is put down by a vet or shot by an owner. I'd rather be the cow. Im sure the majority of horse deaths are not in this way (or at least I would like to thinks so) considering the lack of strict governance, Id just assume not be part of the process.

That may not bother some people and thats ok, Im certainly not telling anyone else what choices to make, but it bothers me. I had thought that the natural death requirement was a great idea until I talked to some people around me in the horse industry. Now I think the laws need to change and oversight must be much more strict, but until then, I just cant buy more horsehide.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I'm an animal lover to a degree and I've never contemplated the ramifications of the so-called "natural death" stipulation for horses. I have no doubt, human nature what it is, that it can make for a sad scenarios for some horses. This does bother me and I'm glad to have a bit of education on the matter and my perspective widened.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Dav said:
JLStorm I'm still sticking with the steerhide as I haven't heard a good IMO reason to change.

You will love it. Im telling you, it took a few emails from Amanda to convince me to go steerhide, but Im glad I did. All the other factors aside, I just enjoy the feel. Its not better or worse than horse or goat, its just different. Aero's steerhide (at least on my jacket) is similar to the stiffness of a thick buffalo (not that american buffalo stuff) or if you have ever had a good pair of bullhide boots. Its serious stuff.

Another thing and yet another reason I stick with Aero. They lost money on a sale convincing me to go with steer. How many companies would do that? I was asking to pay for FQHH and they said no, you really want our steerhide, which was at least $50 GBP cheaper. I just love them. Will and Amanda are just amazing. Like I said, that jacket is back at Aero. I lost weight and it didnt fit anymore. I loved that particular hide so much Im having them recut the jacket to fit. They are the best.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I'd like to see some Aero steer that's had some miles on it. The thing I like most about all the Aero HH I've seen is the way the finish wears so that in less than a few years you have a nice patina going that so many here covet. I'm sure their cowhide ages similarly.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Tony No-Toes said:
I'd like to see some Aero steer that's had some miles on it. The thing I like most about all the Aero HH I've seen is the way the finish wears so that in less than a few years you have a nice patina going that so many here covet. I'm sure their cowhide ages similarly.

Mine isnt old enough. I personally dont think any leather can beat the patina of their FQHH, especially in brown or cordovan. There is just something about that horsehide. Id love to see some photos too.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Dav said:
I agree with you about the pebble effect that is one of the things that drew me to the steer over the horse.
Here is a photo to show the differance
Steer on left horse on right
027.jpg

I was just looking over an old email with Amanda regarding my jacket and she did mention that the steerhide was very difficult to tell apart from the horsehide based on looks alone. The leather I got just may have happened to have that nice pebble effect. If you really like that, you may want to let them know and they will be more than happy to choose a hide that has the more pebbled effect in the grain.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I suspect how they wear would come down whether the hides are chrome tanned or vegetable tanned. Oil-pulled steer would probably develop some interesting characteristics fairly shortly. I think I'm going to score some cowhide samples from Aero and throw them out in my backyard and see what happens to them. I'll cut off a piece of the original to compare them to after some time.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Tony No-Toes said:
I suspect how they wear would come down whether the hides are chrome tanned or vegetable tanned. Oil-pulled steer would probably develop some interesting characteristics fairly shortly. I think I'm going to score some cowhide samples from Aero and throw them out in my backyard and see what happens to them. I'll cut off a piece of the original to compare them to after some time.

Interesting idea. The FQHH and heavy steer are both chrome tanned. Id be interested to see the results. I still put my money on FQHH for the better patina.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Sierra, I love your photos on Aero's website, especially the first one that opens the customer photo page. I believe it's a Cordovan horsehide halfbelt? You added another chest pocket? Did the color bleed? Did you hotwater treat it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW