Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
My research into the Cavanagh Edge has me not entirely convinced that the Mode Edge is same thing. I'm about 5% skeptical that it may really be their Re-Enforced Edge under a different name, considering the Re-Enforced Edge was a process patented by Stetson to compete with the Cavanagh, and required specialized equipment, whereas the Cavanagh mostly did not.

If Stetson invested heavily into this equipment and kept it running over the years, then it would make sense to keep using it, as the labor to produce it was negligible when compared to the labor it took to make a Cavanagh.

If the Re-Enforced Edge was nothing more than a short-lived experiment, then Stetson would have eventually turned to the Cavanagh method.

Part of this mystery is why Stetson switched names from Selv-Edge to Mode Edge. Same thing, different name? Different processes? I haven't found that out yet. I really need to track down an old-timer from Stetson that might remember, but I just haven't taken the time.

Brad

Razzman

One Too Many
Jeboat, thanks for the input. It seems that everyone wants to keep the western style ribbon as is. I wore the hat today and I'm starting to appreciate the look.

Carouselvic, and Brad Bower thank you for the information. Does that mean this hat only dates back to 1977-1980?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic, one of the more useful dates on the trademark record is the First Use date, and in the case of this artwork, Stetson gives May 1948 as when they started using it. Many of the hat companies didn't think to trademark things until years later. This is one of the later registrations I've seen for an earlier piece, but I've no doubt that Stetson was accurate with the date.

So Razzman, your hat could be anywhere from mid-1948 until the early Sixties, I would say. To be on the safe side, just call it the Fifties.:) I'm not sure the name Mode Edge was even in use until the Fifties. That part is hard to date, as Stetson never trademarked Mode Edge, just Selv-Edge.

Edit to ask one other thing: Is that sweatband over two inches tall? It looks like it. In any case, it's a good clue that this is an older hat.

Brad

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Trademark

Yes I also went back to the archives and also found that 19480500 date. The 00 made me think that it was numeral rather than a date. My Bad.

Razzman

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
7X (xxxxxxx clear beaver quality) stetson. I sild a different ribbon that fell off of another stetson of mine, over the existing thin ribbon, to mix the look up a little. I like it this way.

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

I like what Dinerman has done with a spare ribbon. I guess I could change the look of the hat and at the same time not alter the original western ribbon look. Now I have to find a couple of spare ribbons. I would gladly pay to have one made.

ideaguy

One Too Many
That's one beautiful hat-and I wouldn't change the ribbon either.
Looks like it's a 7 3/8's from here though...and you're only a couple of
hours away...see you soon:D

nulty

One of the Regulars
At first this hat seemed an anomaly. I had always thought that Cowboy Logo to be a 70's thing at least. The sweatband and hang tag though both looked 40's and those 2 things seem more date exclusive as to when they were used so I would think 1940's is not far off

Nice hat.....

Duck

Practically Family
Sweet hat!!

Razzman, that is one nice hat. The hat in my avatar has the same liner and sweatband as yours, except it is 3X. Certainly older than the 70's as I have one of those and the design is a silk-screen with plastic over it.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I could make you a black 3/8" grosgrain like the one on my grey Dobbs I pictured. Might make a nice contrast to the neutral color of the hat. Let me know by PM.

dean

Razzman

One Too Many
Ok, here is what the hat would possibly look like with a regular ribbon. I just put it on loosely to see what it would look like. I really like it. I know I had this in another thread but I thought I would combine it here.

a>

a>

J.T.Marcus said:
Razzman, You've got a definite winner in that ribbon on that hat!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Oh yes, I enthusiastically agree. Coming from a 4-ligne devotee, that's high praise indeed.
Gotta love what Dinerman did with his too, eh? I'm thinkin' it's the edge (Selv or Mode or whatever it is) that makes the wider ribbon seem more "right."
As to finding ribbon ... This is a good illustration of why almost any old hat is worth saving from the landfill: there's usually something there -- a sweatband, a ribbon, a liner -- that you'd be glad to have a some point.
New ribbon is available from online suppliers, and even my local fabric store carries a fairly wide assortment. I doubt that any of it is the equal of the vintage stuff, but what is? And what the heck, only we hopelessly obsessed sorts would have much appreciation for the difference.
Still, a ribbon salvaged from a moth-eaten old hat with a hole at its pinch can indeed live another life.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
tonyb, watch out for new ribbon that has no cotton content. You need part cotton so the ribbon will shrink to fit the taper of the crown. You can salvage cotton/rayon ribbon from another hat or buy it new from a supplier like this

http://www.hatsupply.com/grosgrain_sweats.htm

It cannot, however be found at Wal-Mart or most fabric stores. 100% polyester just won't work!

J.T.Marcus said:
tonyb, watch out for new ribbon that has no cotton content. You need part cotton so the ribbon will shrink to fit the taper of the crown. You can salvage cotton/rayon ribbon from another hat or buy it new from a supplier like this

http://www.hatsupply.com/grosgrain_sweats.htm

It cannot, however be found at Wal-Mart or most fabric stores. 100% polyester just won't work!

So what's the trick to getting it to shrink? And must it have cotton? Or will rayon work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner