Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, here we go. I acquired a 7X Clear Beaver a few weeks ago from the bay, or maybe I should say I stole one. The price was pretty much unbelievable I thought. When I received it, it was creased to a teardrop that was not to my liking, so I opened the crown up and tried to recrease it. The old crease was an old crease and just wouldn't come out.

IMG_1354-1.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

On the advice of my friend, JtL, I sent the hat to Chicago for a clean and reblock. Optimo returned to me what looked like a brand new hat.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1357-1.jpg

IMG_1358-1.jpg

IMG_1359-1.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

BobC

Next, I packed this one up and sent it to Motown for Jimmy to crease for me. This is my first fedora creased Open Road, and I'm sure it'll get more wear than my others have.

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

The brim felt of this one is fairly stiff, but the crown is very soft, smooth and dense. It has a very sturdy feel to it.

Thanks, Jim. It looks KILLER!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Next, I packed this one up and sent it to Motown for Jimmy to crease for me. This is my first fedora creased Open Road, and I'm sure it'll get more wear than my others have.

IMG_1410.jpg

The brim felt of this one is fairly stiff, but the crown is very soft, smooth and dense. It has a very sturdy feel to it.

What a beauty! So now all the others get mothballed? :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:

Wow! That looks great on you, Bob! I was keeping my fingers crossed that the crease would work for you -- guess I don't have to worry about that anymore...;)

Very nice lid -- and, now that I see it in context, I think it would actually work in a variety of settings for you. Very sharp look, my friend! :) Congrats! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

jimmy the lid said:
I was keeping my fingers crossed that the crease would work for you

Cheers,
JtL

I never doubted for a second. Why would I? And don't worry, I won't take it on the cruise because you know who might want to cut the binding off. :eek: :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
I never doubted for a second. Why would I? And don't worry, I won't take it on the cruise because you know who might want to cut the binding off. :eek: :D

Whatever could you mean by that? ;)

-------------

So, Optimo was able to re-block it and save all the original trimmings? That is very, very cool. Wonderful hat, Bob.

--------------

But I am thinking that I could improve it and give it a more custom look with some pinking sheers. Then it would match nicely with some wingtip shoes. Heck, that hat's travelled all over the place already, what's one more trip, this time to Florida!?

:D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:

IMG_1413.jpg

Bob and Jimmy, I've had two 7X's like this, and both were very stiff, especially the brim. The one I still have has all the markings of Bob's, including similar size tag, so I'm guessing they are of similar stiffness.

Are the 7X's from the '60s stiffer than the older ones? I don't mind the crown being a little stiff, but the brim is like cardboard. I remember a thread about this topic, but have been unable to locate it. Thanks

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Below is some information Dinerman provided me in a PM once. I trust he won't mind me sharing his insights here:

"I love 7x felt, and I've owned more than I probably should, but when I see one at a reasonable price, I try to snag it.

I've found a huge variety in the quality and properties of the felt.

-early '40s mode edge fedora
thin dress felt with a very fine mode edge. Not particularly stiff, but super dense.

-50's mode edge fedora
thick felt, remarkably malleable, will hold go to any crease without steam and go back without leaving any marks.

-1956 retirement mode edge fedora
heavy dress felt, wide, thick mode edge. Not floppy, not particularly stiff.

-'50s wide brim cowboy hat
paper thin felt, but very stiff. Creases *POP* in and out, but you need steam to change or set anything regarding the crease or brim shape.

-'late '50s /'60s wide brim cowboy hat
Nearly identical in dimensions to the previous one, but it has Heavyweight, relatively stiff western felt, but the softest (to the touch) and finest of the bunch.

- '60s Open Road
Thin, stiff, and with an almost almost flat brim. This same kind of flat brim was also on my Stetson 100 OR. Interesting, because it seems later '60s-'90s Open Roads (the regular kind) have such highly curled brims

- '60s open road-esque (not marked as an open road, but identical otherwise)

Stiff felt, obviously beaver, but poorly finished and relatively coarse, even for a regular hat. The finishing of the inside and ribbon is very nice, however.

And I'll add this as well, though not quite-
- '70s 7X open road (not clear beaver, but a lot of markings were the same).
Complete piece of junk for the x rating- much worse than say, a '60s royal stetson.

So it's really a crapshoot. Of the ones I have/ have had, there haven't been two with the same felt."

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:

So it's really a crapshoot. Of the ones I have/ have had, there haven't been two with the same felt."[/I]

Thanks for posting that information Gene! (and Dinerman).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
How do you know its 7X? I only see one[huh]

Which leads me to a theory on X's:
X's are the number of Beaver Belly Felts needed to make up a hat body. The younger,smaller (and softer), the more it takes and the better the quality.

Works with Kittens and Baby Seals too.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's also not marked as an OR, but I'm feeling generous. ;)

As to the number of pelts, how would that factor into the change from the 5XCB to the 7XCB? As far as I can tell - with a 5x sample size of only 2 - they're the same stuff.

Smaller beavers?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
It's also not marked as an OR, but I'm feeling generous. ;)

As to the number of pelts, how would that factor into the change from the 5XCB to the 7XCB? As far as I can tell - with a 5x sample size of only 2 - they're the same stuff.

Smaller beavers?

Exactly. Just like Veal--the younger the Cow the more tender the meat. But what the animal was eating is also a factor so absolute consistency is difficult.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
But are 7XCBs finer than 5XCBs? I think only feltfan and Carter own 5XCBs, but maybe JtL checked out feltfan's when they met.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo