Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 7X

The second 7X I've gotten. This one has a great embroidered liner of the "Last Drop" scene. Also has the "MODE-EDGE" mark perpendicular to the sweat. Love the brown mid-height ribbon (1 7/16"). Made special for H.H. HOTTES. Brim is 2 15/16" and crown is 5 1/4". Felt is of course that great moldeable clay.

B

7x_brown_1.jpg

7x_brown_2.jpg

7x_brown_3.jpg

7x_brown_4.jpg

7x_brown_5.jpg

7x_brown_6.jpg

7x_brown_7.jpg

7x_brown_8.jpg

7x_brown_9.jpg

7x_brown_10.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful. Is that the thicker felt?

Mr Hottes wrote to Forbes in 1971:
5262085996_da6d160829_o.png

Time Magazine 1939:
5261492215_d4560183b6.jpg

He was in a Mechanical Engineering Fraternity at Illinois('30) Pi Tau Omega

Last edited:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
The second 7X I've gotten. This one has a great embroidered liner of the "Last Drop" scene. Also has the "MODE-EDGE" mark perpendicular to the sweat. Love the brown mid-height ribbon (1 7/16"). Made special for H.H. HOTTES. Brim is 2 15/16" and crown is 5 1/4". Felt is of course that great moldeable clay.

B

Well, Buler -- now you gone and done it! That is just an absolutely fantastic vintage Stetson. An extraordinary lid. That felt, with that size and color ribbon -- absolutely beautiful. Congrats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

(Incidentally, the overall look of that lid -- especially the ribbon -- reminds me a bit of my Mallory Nokabout).

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Man, for as rare as these are, they're really popping up this month. Congrats to both of you.

Buler, that's got to be only about the 4th or 5th mode edge CB I've seen, and two or three of those were the incredible retirement hats. It seems that only a select few ever received one of those.

Here's a 7x clear beaver that arrived today from Arizone... excellent condition but with a few issues to deal with. Some shrinkage evident - size is closer to 6 7/8. And though the sweat is fully attached to the reed, there is some loose stitching between the reeding and the hat. The felt is marvelous - I understand the moldable clay description now... I have no other hats that feel like this. So I will work with it a little before deciding whether to have it professionally cleaned, reblocked and restored. The latter would lose the original sweatband, I guess. The hat was affordably priced at eighty-five dollars so there is room for a few more dollars to restore it if needed.

Update - new sweat will be needed... it had shrunk a full size and no nudging would budge it. Will post pictures when it returns from refurbishment.

openroad.jpg

silk.jpg

inside2.jpg

bow.jpg

openroad2.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Alan,
A hat of that quality would be well worth the time and $s to get it right IMHO :) Hell, start wearing that puppy and you'll get your M3 back out and start shootin Tri-X again :) ( might have to substitute Ilford HP5 though :) ) Nice, nice hat guy .
Onward thru the fog :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
Alan, very nice hat. Sorry to hear about the sweat. I would hate losing the sweatband on a 7XCB, but as you said you have some premium felt there so it's probably best to make it a great hat for wearing. With all these great hats coming out of the woodwork I'm remaining hopeful I'll score one someday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW