STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Razzman, Oct 17, 2007.

1. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thanks for that reference. I'm going to have to study my western creases to decide where to go with this one. The felt is ready and willing to listen to opinions. The centerfire is nice from the top and sides, a little odd from the front, I thought.

2. Jedwbpm

Jedwbpm One Too Many

If you watch the Original True Grit John Wayne's hat is creased in that style.

Jeff

3. alanfgag

alanfgag

I decided to send my 7X Clear Beaver Homburg "the Intrigue" to Optimo for some cleaning and a new sweatband. I removed the old one so it wouldn't get lost in the process and to my surprise, found a short novel in code written on the back side. Wonder what it all means...

[​IMG]

4. Chinaski

Chinaski One Too Many

Wouldn't it be cool to know the actual answer to that riddle, Alan? Kind of like it would be cool to know who actually shot JFK.

5. fluteplayer07

fluteplayer07 One Too Many

It's the key of the Mayan doomsday prediction...

...I've got nothing. [huh] Doesn't look like Gregg Shorthand, or any shorthand, really. Just a bunch of numbers that were probably production line codes and stuff.

6. alanfgag

alanfgag

I thought it looks something like my daughter's palm the day of a math quiz... but I'm open to your theories. Keep 'em coming.

7. alanfgag

alanfgag

return of the Intrigue

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to send my 7X CB homburg (the intrigue) to Optimo for a renovation. All in all, it was in pretty good shape save for some soil in the felt and sweat that had soaked through a stained the ribbon. But it was a 7 1/4 and my best efforts to pad the sweatband left it lacking in comfort to the point where I felt I wouldn't wear it much.

Graham cleaned and blocked it to my size (22 1/8"), installed a new ribbon and sweat, put in a lining (which I might not have) and added a wind cord. The clear beaver felt still shows the patina of 60+ years of wear. The fit is just right. The 7X felt in this hat is the best of my three CBs. I'm happy to have it feel as good on my head as it feels in the hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tommyK likes this.
  8. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Beautiful.

9. randooch

randooch I'll Lock Up

The seller maybe measured the long side of the oval opening? Just a guess. That sure is a sweet hat, Alan, and the crease suits your features very well.

10. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Those look like lottery numbers to me.:)

11. Sweet hat, Optimo did an excellent job on the makeover.

12. animator

animator One of the Regulars

Beautiful!

13. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thanks... Optimo is a pleasure to work with.

14. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

I was wondering what ever happened to the intrigue.

15. Joshbru3

Joshbru3 I'll Lock Up

Thats still the most interesting 7x CB that Ive seen. I love every detail about. It reminds me of my Dunn & Co with that brim flange style. Its just beautiful and you wear it extremely well, Alan!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

16. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thanks Josh! The 7XCB's have that wonderful moldable felt, but it's amazing how well this one takes to being pushed around. It goes back and forth between a fedora crease and a traditional homburg center dent like nobody's business. Now that it fits well I expect it will be a favorite in the rotation.

cheers,
    Alan

17. alanfgag

alanfgag

7XCB Open Road

Yet another... a bit heavier and a bit stiffer than my earlier posted dress western model. Luscious... and this one is the real Open Road McCoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ross Young and tommyK like this.
  18. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

It's hard to follow the Intrigue, but that's not too bad.

19. HatsEnough

HatsEnough Banned

I'll be adding my 7X Clear Beaver when it gets here...

20. HatsEnough

HatsEnough Banned

7X Clear Beaver Fedora

[​IMG]

Gentlemen, I have to say that I am impressed as heck with this Stetson. I love this hat.

Condition-wise, it is almost perfect. On the crown there are a few spots, but they are light and will likely come out fairly easily. The stitching in the sweat is perfect. The interior is perfect. I don't think this thing has been worn much if at all. This ritzy piece was originally bought in Atlantic City. No gamble on this hat… it is a sure thing.

It is a wonderful light tan color. It may have been called silverbelly, but of that I am not sure if it is a tan or a silverbelly. The brim is 2-3/8 and there is a wind trolley string and button.

The felt is dense and pliable and holds its shape so well. It feels wonderful.

This is definitely a solid piece, not a cut down and re-furb from an Open Road model (as someone wondered from the ebay sale). This was made as you see it in the late 1950s. (The Stetson logo on the sweat and the liner both have the leaf instead of the stars.)

I am going to keep it in an empty Stetson 100 case I had laying around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few numbers written under the band and the regular re-order and ID stickers, but nothing else. It has the plastic shield between the hat body and the sweatband (not sure what it is called). The liner is sewn in, not glued.

I probably paid more than I should have, but I could not pass this one up. It fills the 7X, clear beaver hole I had in my collection. I guess since I already have a Stetson 100, this one was my holy grail for a while.