Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

HatsEnough

Banned
Congrats, HE, I was tempted to go for that but decided against it. Glad you got it. I love the wide ribbon brim binding !

That binding is kind of interesting. It is a bit wider than any OR binding. It's a 5/8 binding. The whole thing is soft as a baby's butt, I have to say. But not in the least floppy or limp.

HatsEnough

Banned
I just got my Open Road 7X in the mail.
My pair of 7X Stetsons...

scaled.php

scaled.php

The one to the right is a 7X Clear Beaver fedora with a 2-3/8 inch brim.
The other is an Open Road (marked Open Road) 7X.

HatsEnough

Banned
Yes, I very much like that bound edge fedora 7X. It is soft as silk, too. I feel very fortunate to have wound up with it, I have to say. The new OR is great, too, but it is just your average OR-style, you know? That other one is something out of the ordinary, I think. Even the color is amazing. I guess it is still silverbelly, but it is almost white. Even in the photo above you can see a major difference in color. It really is a beauty. (my only complaint is that I wish the brim was larger, but still...)

.... Even the color is amazing. I guess it is still silverbelly, but it is almost white...

Clear Beaver hats are natural, undyed beaver fur felt. This is different than Silverbelly which is supposedly only the silvery beaver belly fur used to make that felt.
They are 2 different "colors" and can be a varying range of colors given the content of the fur used for the specific runs.
CB will have fur from all over the beaver used which can yield a different "natural" color that that of just using the beaver belly fur.

HatsEnough

Banned
My 7X Clear Beaver Open Road with an embroidered "Last Drop" liner. Brim 2-3/4.

This makes my third 7X Clear Beaver Stetson.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

It has a paper price tag inside that says it was originally sold at "Cottrell's" with a price of $50 on it.

So, this one confirms something I've been noticing with Stetson's high end hats. My 100 is a 7-1/8 and so is one of other 7X Clear Beavers. They both fit almost like a 7-1/4 on me -- not quite that large but looser than other 7-1/8s. My Stetson 10X is a size 7 and so is one of the 25s and both fit a little large, almost but not quite like a 7-1/8. My other 7X is a 6-7/8 and fits like a perfect size 7.

So, to my head, all the high end Stetson hats I have seem to fit almost a size larger than the size noted on the size tag.

Weird.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
That hat makes one want to own it. If I could find a clean hat that looked like this one in my size, I would be willing to part with big bucks to own it.

HatsEnough

Banned
The only reason I went for this one is because it had the embroidered "Last Drop" liner. Other wise it is the same as my other 7X Clear Beaver Open Road. Now I have an Open Road with that liner and I think I am done with Open Roadies. I have a 3X, two conversions (big ribbons replacing the thin and one with darker brim binding added), two 7X Clear Beavers, two Twenty Fives, then two brown ones. I think I have more than enough Open Roadies at this point!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
The only reason I went for this one is because it had the embroidered "Last Drop" liner. Other wise it is the same as my other 7X Clear Beaver Open Road. Now I have an Open Road with that liner and I think I am done with Open Roadies. I have a 3X, two conversions (big ribbons replacing the thin and one with darker brim binding added), two 7X Clear Beavers, two Twenty Fives, then two brown ones. I think I have more than enough Open Roadies at this point!
That is indeed a handsome hat. Based on what you say, you truly have "Hats Enough!"

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Here's my "new" Stetson 50 7X Clear Beaver.

One of the more modern examples, but I really like the styling and the feel of the felt. The hat seems to have been hardly ever worn and is in great overall shape. First thing I did was steam out the original crease and change to my usual center crease:

D328190-L.jpg

D328196-L.jpg

D328212-L.jpg

D328205-L.jpg

D328206-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk