Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

DJH

I'll Lock Up
gtdean, DJH,

How stiff (or not) is yours?

From what I'd read, I was expecting mine to be quite stiff. Pleasantly surprised that it is quite supple. Not Borsalino or Stetson 15 supple, but certainly not cardboard. The feel is unlike any of my other hats - I wondered how people could describe felt as feeling like clay, but that is pretty close.

The main thing is that it is a really nice hat to wear.

The crown is very supple. I store it mostly open crown & easily dry crease it as shown. I like those long side dents.
The brim is not as soft as my Borsalino but not near as stiff as my 100 from the same period.

JBS branding iron pin from my pardner Rusty....

HatsEnough

Banned
The brim is not as soft as my Borsalino but not near as stiff as my 100 from the same period.

This is what I find with the 100s, the 7X Clear Beavers and the 1990s 10X I have, too. The brim is fairly stiff, but the crown is supple.
The 7X that I had from the 80s or 90s (no metric on the tag) that just said 7X (with no mention of beaver anything) was stiff as a board all over. It was simply unexceptional all the way on every level. That is why I got rid of it.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here is my 7X Clear Beaver Open Road
As it arrived...
5bc2146c.jpg

61b0391f.jpg

36e0710a.jpg

aa23e3ab.jpg

b433dc5f.jpg

2b81cdbd.jpg

1db6d768.jpg

KGrHqRlYE6CCS3zjRBOgnGcwjrw_12.jpg

I think your pinched front is good... maybe try to sharpen the angles a bit with a diamond crease to the top of the crown? It's nice to show what that unique 7x felt can do.

Nice hat, Mike... enjoy it!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I think your pinched front is good... maybe try to sharpen the angles a bit with a diamond crease to the top of the crown? It's nice to show what that unique 7x felt can do.

Nice hat, Mike... enjoy it!
Thanks Alan. I was actually shooting for a crease that was kind of a cross between one I saw on one of your hats and one from michaelshane. I put this crease in both my 7XCB and my 100 so I will most likely change one slightly so they are different. I'll give your diamond crease a shot to see what it looks like. Both of these hats dry bash so easily (as you already know) you can pretty much put a different crease in every hour if you want.

You probably can't tell it from the picture but this one actually has negative rake.

Thanks Alan. I was actually shooting for a crease that was kind of a cross between one I saw on one of your hats and one from michaelshane. I put this crease in both my 7XCB and my 100 so I will most likely change one slightly so they are different. I'll give your diamond crease a shot to see what it looks like. Both of these hats dry bash so easily (as you already know) you can pretty much put a different crease in every hour if you want.

You probably can't tell it from the picture but this one actually has negative rake.

Interesting... David's 1960's or so 7x posted previously also seems to have the crown a bit higher in the back with a center dent. A diamond crease will serve to bring the rear of the crown down of course. These are great fun to bash... though once you find one you like it will probably help you resist the temptation to rebash hourly. 8^)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy