Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STETSON 7x CLEAR BEAVER QUALITY

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
So what's the trick to getting it to shrink? And must it have cotton? Or will rayon work?

The standard recommendation is to soak it, then iron it into a near semi-circle, or iron it with a steam iron. This will aproximate the fit. I usually still have a slight gap, at the top, once I've sewn the ribbon in place. I then dip my finger in cold water and dab it on the ribbon, till it is entirely soaked. Then let it dry completely. By the next day, it will usually look like a factory installation. (Sometimes the soaking has to be repeated, especially if it is a wide ribbon, or if there is considerable taper to the crown.)

There must be cotton in the ribbon. 100% anything else will not work!

Cotton/rayon blend is what you are looking for.

So the application of heat and moisture (ironing, in other words) will swirl the ribbon?
Would it be advisable to reverse an old ribbon, so that the inside surface becomes the outside (visible) surface? Will it swirl in the opposite direction?

ideaguy

One Too Many
both ribbons look fine; however, being the contrarian that I'm cursed to be,
I'd try a ribbon about half the size of the one you slipped on; the hat has a definite Western feel to it (IMHO)-and going with a wider ribbon seems to make a transition that tries hard, but just misses the mark by a whisker...

just my opinion...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_0547.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
How's the felt feel?

I've never handled felt that's even similar to it. Likening it to clay is pretty accurate; it's quite easy to mold, but retains whatever shape it's given.

Though I'm sure that a figure like this will never emerge, I'd love to know how many CBs and 100s were made over the years. At their high prices, it couldn't have been too many (relatively speaking).

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
carouselvic, one of the more useful dates on the trademark record is the First Use date, and in the case of this artwork, Stetson gives May 1948 as when they started using it. Many of the hat companies didn't think to trademark things until years later. This is one of the later registrations I've seen for an earlier piece, but I've no doubt that Stetson was accurate with the date.

So Razzman, your hat could be anywhere from mid-1948 until the early Sixties, I would say. To be on the safe side, just call it the Fifties.:) I'm not sure the name Mode Edge was even in use until the Fifties. That part is hard to date, as Stetson never trademarked Mode Edge, just Selv-Edge.

Edit to ask one other thing: Is that sweatband over two inches tall? It looks like it. In any case, it's a good clue that this is an older hat.

Brad

Brad,

I've got a Sovereign with Mode Edge stamped into the sweatband and a date of 1949 on the backside of the sweatband. You may have already gone earlier than this, as I see this is an older post...

Bernie

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
XPLSV said:
Brad,

I've got a Sovereign with Mode Edge stamped into the sweatband and a date of 1949 on the backside of the sweatband. You may have already gone earlier than this, as I see this is an older post...

Bernie

Bernie,

No, I haven't been able to get any kind of firm date, so your 1949 date is VERY helpful! I've written it down in my notes now. Thanks!

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Black Stetson 7X w/ 2-3/8 Brim & Cattleman

3706669012_94a1580c14_b.jpg

3704337013_6056fc582a.jpg
3704337189_c816670e21.jpg

3706669148_e551f23eba_b.jpg

3705145700_b527b19d04.jpg
3705145100_ca661d320a.jpg
3705145328_c3e57ea1e0.jpg

The crown is definitely Western, a Cattleman with tapered sides. This hat came in a battered Stetson 100 Box. Its really a true black, unfortunately the camera wasn't compensating for the tungsten light source.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll be sure to put mine up here, but I'll stand down for now. Mine is on its way to Optimo for a clean and block. It really wasn't very dirty but a freshening will be good for it. And I want to get rid of all traces of the previous crease. I'm anxious to see it and touch it in all it's glory when Optimo returns it. It's a most remarkable hat. Then for the crowning jewel it's going to JtL's house for the application of his most excellent teardrop.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gene, I have to say I almost failed when you started talking exacto knives on the brim of yours, but it turned out fantastic. I knew it would, sir. I've seen you wear too many wonderful hats before. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner