Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Austral Question

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I like the simple, uncurled flat brim of the hat, but the open crown is something I don't like. I live out in the middle of nowhere with not much access to someone who could professionally crease the crown.

How difficult would it be for me (at home) to turn that open crown in to a telescope crown?

Anybody that has experience with the hat know if that would still leave enough head room?

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I thought of another question: does anyone know how stiff the brim is? I bought a Resistol hat off eBay that came with an easily shapeable brim. I literally used up about two bottles of hat stiffener on the brim to get that "ain't goin' nowhere" stiffness.

Also, anybody that owns one---got any pics?

I'm debating if I want this or something similar.

I'm just really becoming a fan of that stiff, flat brim as opposed to a "shaped" one.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I think bowlerman has posted photos of his.
Have you handled one of these buffalo fur felt hats?
Fairly coarse stuff...

No, I haven't.

I noticed a couple of websites are actually offering the Stetson Revenger in buffalo felt. Looking closely at the photos the brim appears to be really thin. My Revengers have a brim about 3/16" thick. These new buffalo felt ones look paper thin. Maybe that's not a problem?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I myself had the opportunity to handle an Austral during our visit to the Garland outlet at FF3, and again at a high-end ranchwear store in Las Vegas. I was not very impressed.

The buffalo fur is very course and, when new, the felt is as stiff and resilient as a springboard. I didn't mind that too much as it would keep in the rain. The most damning aspect of the hat, at least the ones I tried on at the outlet, is the thread quality and stitching on the inner sweatband. The thread they used was thick and taught like wire. It had no give and actually removed skin from my forehead as I was trying it on (I'll concede that it was a snug fit, but still..).

It looks great, though, and it's tough. The issues I had may be due to my head shape. To answer the original question, though, I don't believe there's enough crown on the Austral to go with anything but the shallowest creases, unless you were wearing it WAY up on your head.

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
You may want to look at the Resistol Showdown it comes in 4 1/4, 4 1/2 and 5" brims with or without bound edge and in Silverbelly, black, stone, and acorn. it is a 7X hat the 10X version is called the Saguaro and come in silverbelly and back. The open crowns are 5 1/2".

Jeff

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
The buffalo fur is very course and, when new, the felt is as stiff and resilient as a springboard. I didn't mind that too much as it would keep in the rain. The most damning aspect of the hat, at least the ones I tried on at the outlet, is the thread quality and stitching on the inner sweatband. The thread they used was thick and taught like wire. It had no give and actually removed skin from my forehead as I was trying it on (I'll concede that it was a snug fit, but still..).

It looks great, though, and it's tough.

These actually sound like recommendations in my world. I've bought two Stetson Revengers and one Resistol hat off EBay now that looked like they were in excellent plus condition, but the sweatband stitching was pulling out of all three hats. I wear a hat to get abused, like someone in the Old West who really had to wear it for use. If it looks like it would hold up to a complete lack of TLC, then the hat may be for me.

The issues I had may be due to my head shape.

My head is a long oval, and I confess the photos make the hat look like a round shape.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I will say it is a sturdy, sturdy hat, and the next best thing to a helmet. It just wore like a crown of thorns on me due to that razorwire stitching, but I'm a long oval as well. And at the time the Buffalo collection was relatively new, I believe, so perhaps that was an isolated case or they've worked out the kinks. Had I been thinking at the time, I would've tried a size up and padded out the sweatband.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Had I been thinking at the time, I would've tried a size up and padded out the sweatband.

Interesting. I wonder if I should do that. I wear a 7 1/4 and it fits tightly (which I like) because I keep my hair cut really short. I wonder if I should go up to 7 3/8?

They say a hat tends to shrink if you get it sweaty in the summer, and I'll certainly do that.

EDITED TO ADD: Well, I went ahead and ordered the 7 3/8. The vendor I used is quoting 4-6 week delivery so I'll try to remember to update this thread when I get it.

Last edited:

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Got another question:

During my research I uncovered a couple of places making "Boss of the Plains" replicas (basically the same hat). One offered it with a "Texas flat crown."

Not knowing exactly what that means other than what it looks like--if I can't have a telescoped crown is there a way to take the Austral I've got on order and get a "Texas flat crown" out of it?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hey, sorry I missed this before. I do have one. It's great, but yes, intended to stay open. You won't have any room for a telescope. Mine fits perfectly and it has one of the most comfortable sweatbands I've ever felt. The fur is rugged and coarse but probably has only a very small percentage of actual buffalo fur.
The crown is low, flat, and has rounded edges, similar to a sugar loaf, but I've seen photos online of the same hat with sharper edges. Will post a photo later.
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I'd talk to Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters about how to iron out a flat crown
1000_texas-flat_bosstown.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Oh, yes, I think you could get it reblocked with the sharper edges. +1 on gtdean 's comment. Talk to Mike.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot