Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson BSA hat with grosgrain sweat?

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I ran across a hat yesterday at a thrift store which I'm now thinking I should have purchased. Hopefully it'll still be there so I can pick it up today or Friday.

The hat seemed to be made of a floppy wool and had a long chin strap running through it. The sweat was grosgrain and was stamped "Stetson" on one side and "Boy Scouts of America" on the other. It was covered in cat hair and might have been too small for me, so I put it back down and headed for the register since they were getting ready to close. Wish I had taken some pics, but my hands were full.

After getting home and thinking about it, I realized the hat might have been a campaign hat which had lost all of the stiffener. I had no luck in searching the forum, unfortunately, but a web search turned up several BSA hats made by Stetson. All of them I found *were* campaign hats, but each had a leather sweat instead of grosgrain.

Any ideas on this one?

Stetson makes a wool crusher for BSA. Don't think Stetson BSA campaign hats are still being made.
bsa3.jpg

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I checked the thrift store after the holiday and found the hat still there. They had everything half-off, so I HAD to buy it.
Here's a few pics after I spent some time removing the car hair. Might not be completely clean, but it's much better.

Top down
97fc1404b382be7c88a3b0aac70a6e1a.jpg

Underside
cfe4c4c223dbeadf1a01d532a350a374.jpg

Stetson stamp
cfdcfb828cf184b0f0067abaee87176c.jpg

BSA stamp and former owner's initials. Interesting since my first and last initials are M and L.
09d338c99cae60e78cb8ca373d2c6ffd.jpg

The hat fits, but the crown is low enough that I won't get much of a crease in it. Still, it should be good enough to use for a camping hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy