Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Fashion Collection 1940s Stratoliner Fur Felt Fedora Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The right number engines or not...... the damn pin is ugly.
PERIOD.

Then don't wear it! :) Even if I had an original, I would not wear it in my hat. Not a big fan of hat pins in felt Fedoras. In Tyrolean and mabe a Panama with a pearl stickpin. :) I like the hat and looks like a Stetson I'd buy :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Wasn't the Boeing C-137 also known as "Stratoliner"? I'm willing to give a little slack on this (just a little, mind you) That's what I thought this new pin was supposed to look like?

The C-137 was a version of the 707 made in the '80s. It was called the "Stratoliner" as well. The "Stratoliner" the pin was used on was refering to the Boeing 307 of 1938. Only 40+ years difference there :) (also propulsion method, one was a prop plane the other was a jet :) Small differences I know :) )

Onward thru the Fog :)

T Rick

Practically Family
You're right, the pin looks pretty poor, at least in that image (hoping maybe it was a prototype or mock up, but I doubt it). A repro would be my solution too (I'd want it to have a pin).

For those unaware, this is an image of a classic Stratoliner aircraft as associated with the classic hat (though I think the hat pins specifically were TWA, not AA).

boeing_307stratoliner_davidlednicer.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I'm wondering why hats like this one don't seem to get much attention here. A Biltmore, open crown -- seemingly much more on target in terms of style for those looking for an OR or Strat clone.

I'm wondering why hats like this one don't seem to get much attention here. A Biltmore, open crown -- seemingly much more on target in terms of style for those looking for an OR or Strat clone.

The only issue I have with the Miller you're point out Jimmy, is the color selection. Why so limited? This is indeed what we have discussed wishing HatCo would offer with the Open Road = Open Crown, especially at 5 5/8".

Jedwbpm

One Too Many

I don't remember who but some one said they were going to get one and report back on it.

Jeff

PS I did a search frussell should have one very soon if not already to tell us about.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The only issue I have with the Miller you're point out Jimmy, is the color selection. Why so limited?
Because that's what's sold to the typical buyer in the recent past - in part because that's all they can buy. Chicken, meet egg.

I don't know what would convince hat makers to offer a few unique colors - probably nothing short of an all-out boom in fedora sales.

I happen to have one of those Biltmore OR/Stratoliner-style hats around here somewhere, a black one, which I bought at least a dozen years ago. I was attracted to it by its "traditional" style, what with that relatively tall, relatively straight-sided crown and all. And it came to the retailer open crowned. I liked it enough that I contacted the manufacturer directly, hoping to get 'em in colors other than the two or three they had in stock at the local retailer. But Biltmore wouldn't go for that. They wouldn't do go-arounds on their retailers. Good for them, I suppose. And good for me, as it turned out. The hat just didn't hold up for a darn. The brim got all wonky and the crown dimpled and it just looked cheap and shabby after only a few exposures to light rainfall ("light rainfall" is what we get here more days than not, it seems, at least for most of the year). I could reintroduce that hat to a block and flange, but it just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

So, like so many of these (sorta) reintroduced styles, it fell a tad short. In most cases, it's the style that isn't quite right, as has been opined here in regard to the new Stratoliner. In the case of the Biltmore, it was the quality that didn't quite make the grade. Too bad, that, seeing how it really was a nice lookin' lid fresh out of the box. But then, that was quite some time ago. Here's hoping they're making better bodies up there in Guelph these days.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
I like the new Strat, mostly - if I could get the crease out of an Open Road or Roadmaster, I suppose it would wind up looking like that. I can sport a 2-1/2" brim much better than the 2-3/4" of an OR/RM. The tail of that pin is seriously wonky, and overall it looks pretty sorry.

Re: color, I have an Ashland in Cordova and the color is a very dark, rich brown, with slightly reddish or mahogany undertones - it's a nice color. It is on the Stetson color chart at the Fedora Store, by the way - it's in row 3, fifth from the left. The hat pictured must be silver belly.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OK. I just ordered one in black. I need another casual black so this one will fit the bill.

Once I get it, I'll report back.

This will be the very first brand new fedora I've ever bought.

frussell

One Too Many
Oh Tonyb - you have shattered my hopes. I am still indeed waiting for my "Open Door," as Miller Hats is a bit pokey, and neglected to mention that they didn't have my size on hand in Silverbelly until a few weeks had passed. I hope it is better quality than the one above previously owned by my favorite hatmaker. I'll let you know. I'm mixed on the new Stratoliner. To me, any progress in the hat arena by Stetson is good, but I agree that a bound brim Nostalgia might have captured the tone of the original better. Stetson's newer low-crowned hats look silly on my giant head. Frank

T Rick

Practically Family
I like the new Strat, mostly - if I could get the crease out of an Open Road or Roadmaster, I suppose it would wind up looking like that. I can sport a 2-1/2" brim much better than the 2-3/4" of an OR/RM. The tail of that pin is seriously wonky, and overall it looks pretty sorry.

Re: color, I have an Ashland in Cordova and the color is a very dark, rich brown, with slightly reddish or mahogany undertones - it's a nice color. It is on the Stetson color chart at the Fedora Store, by the way - it's in row 3, fifth from the left. The hat pictured must be silver belly.
Thanks, guess I missed that! Sounds like a nice color. The one shown sure doesn't look like their Silverbelly either. Of course with lighting and such, then various monitor settings, who knows. Seriously considering one in Cordova.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I happen to have one of those Biltmore OR/Stratoliner-style hats around here somewhere [...] I liked it enough that I contacted the manufacturer directly, hoping to get 'em in colors other than the two or three they had in stock at the local retailer. But Biltmore wouldn't go for that. They wouldn't do go-arounds on their retailers. Good for them, I suppose.
Hmmm...Could problem number one with the hat trade be built-in unresponsiveness to the consumer?

Are they more committed to keeping in good with the relative few brick/mortar dealers remaining than in getting lids onto heads by any means practicable?

And if they are so committed, in an age where even compleat idiots can and do turn e-commerce to their advantage...for pete's sake, why??? :eusa_doh::rolleyes:[huh]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy