Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Mercury Fedora

hatflick1

Practically Family
I keep seeing an old print ad up for bid on ebay which advertises a Stetson Mercury fedora from the 20's. I can't run the link because it is a current auction.
My question: Is there a contemporary fedora that resembles or somehow duplicates the Mercury style and dimensions? It appears to have a high crown, perhaps a 2 1/4" brim???
Any info will, as always, be much appreciated.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
49069.jpg

BOL31EQCGkKGrHgoOKiIEjlLmKVwBJt2wWT.jpg

Looks pretty similar to a later open road with the brim down all around.

The ad copy has me thinking it's a lightweight felt of the sort that's hard to find in a recently made hat, at least in anything other than a custom. Brim looks about 2 5/8.

I can certainly appreciate why you like it. It's a sharp look. The good news is that many an Open Road (and their ilk) have quite similar dimensions (although they vary quite a bit). Vintage ones are quite plentiful, and prices in general are down a bit right now. Reblocking and flanging such a hat to more approximate the hat in the ad is no great challenge.

And you could get an all-new one made.

hatflick1

Practically Family
Thanks for the feedback. I immediately went into my hat closet and started reshaping my Open Road. In fact, I had not noticed that the Mercury featured a thin ribbon ala the Stetson classic.
One hat I had thought might approximate the Mercury is the Akubra CEO, but I can't tell if the crown is vintage 20's high.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
That would be interesting to see...a CEO converted to a Mercury.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap If it looks good...I bet there'd be a run on CEO's...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21