Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

dawgvet

Familiar Face
What is the general feel of the new Stetson Nostalgia vs the current Akubras? I have a fawn Camp Draft and really like it, especially for the price! How bout a head to head ;) comparison?
Thanks
Jed

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
dawgvet said:
What is the general feel of the new Stetson Nostalgia vs the current Akubras? I have a fawn Camp Draft and really like it, especially for the price! How bout a head to head ;) comparison?
Thanks
Jed

Thats something Id like to know about, too. The Nostalgia looks good. What moves it down a notch for me is the reported shrinkage problem, though.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
That and the dye coming off when it gets wet! What the ...? Don't they remember how they made them 50 yrs ago? Just do it that way again! I don't hear much complaining about the Feds.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
dawgvet said:
That and the dye coming off when it gets wet! What the ...? Don't they remember how they made them 50 yrs ago? Just do it that way again! I don't hear much complaining about the Feds.

Ya, thats right. Okay, I guess I no longer need to see that comparison. :rolleyes:

HATCO

Vendor
It's not dye. It's powder. The powder is used to give a uniform appearance to the hat and cover up any mottling and give it better shelf appeal. I have a couple of akubras that I've bought and they don't have powder, but they do have mottling.

carter

I'll Lock Up
As noted elsewhere,

A light application of Scout Felt Hat Rain & Stain Protector makes a big difference in protecting the powder finish on your hat. It is available on-line as well at most western hat stores.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
What ever happened to the Whippet resurrection idea? I can't seem to find one in my size at an affordable price [huh].

Oh well, I never liked the wide brim binding anyway :p. The only reason I don't own a Nostalgia is due to the wide ribbon - somebody hypnotize me PLEASE ;).

carldelo

One Too Many
Here it is

CRH said:
What ever happened to the Whippet resurrection idea? I can't seem to find one in my size at an affordable price [huh].

Oh well, I never liked the wide brim binding anyway :p. The only reason I don't own a Nostalgia is due to the wide ribbon - somebody hypnotize me PLEASE ;).

Here's the revived Whippet at the Stetson site - not sure who has it - searching Stetson Whippet just gives a truckload of vintage links. I know Bencraft will get it but it's not listed on their site yet - I think they were planning for the fall. The Roadmaster shown here looks nice as well.

http://www.stetsonhat.com/collections.php?prod_id=74

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Can I point out that the modern Whippet is nothing but a Chatham with a bound edge. Same felt quality, same dimensions and same precreased shape. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this hat as my current best hat is a Chatham and it has survived rain, but it is not the same as the 1940s Whippet.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Nothing against the Chatham, and it "discount" cousin the Downs (same basic hat), but I don't like the current Whippet. Which is odd for me because I prefer bound edges. But like the Chatham better.

If I want a modern Whippet clone, I'll buy a Nostalgia and have it bound. [huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
Hmmm, your comment is interesting NB, as I am actually considering having a bound edge added to my Chatham. The brim has become somewhat rippled with age and I don't have a flange to iron it properly. An under- or over-welt sounds cool also, but I'm not sure how much of the brim that would consume.

Stetson had a bound-brim, Sovereign quality hat called the Hampton, which was essentially a bound brim Chatham but with a silk finish. As far as I know, it was only offered in black, which is not a color I favor and the brim binding looks extremely narrow. I've heard it mentioned here favorably a few times - it appears Quality Hats has some remaining stock:

http://www.qualityhats.com/hampton.htm

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
JohnnyB53 said:
If it comes down to the Nostalgia vs. the Fed IV, make the comparison against the Fed IV Deluxe to put them in the same price range.

For that $140, the Nostalgia has a softer, slightly more luxurious feel, a uniform brim width, and wider ribbon. The Fed IV sacrifices a little bit of felt feel and finish for assured durability and weather- and shrink-resistance, dye that won't run, a 1-5/8" ribbon (very nice mid-width ribbon), and slightly dimensional brim.

This is a good comparison.

Here are both hats, new and open crowned (Stetson with feather):

stetson_v_akubra.jpg

stetson_v_akubra_2.jpg

Dixon

New in Town
Thanks for these pics.
I've got a Fed Dlx (Brown) and a Nostalgia. I've wondered how a the grey Fed would compare in color.

This is super helpful, thanks.

D

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carldelo said:
Stetson had a bound-brim, Sovereign quality hat called the Hampton, which was essentially a bound brim Chatham but with a silk finish. As far as I know, it was only offered in black, which is not a color I favor and the brim binding looks extremely narrow. I've heard it mentioned here favorably a few times - it appears Quality Hats has some remaining stock:/QUOTE]

I have a Stetson Hampton in a tawny color similar to the color Stetson calls bark. It is a very nice hat, but the crown is not as high as the Nostalgia. Mine is higher than that of my Chatham however. Its a nice hat and I like it; very good quality I think.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

HatRak

Familiar Face
Blackthorn said:
How have they held up over the last year or two? Do they fall apart/shrink/colors run, or has Stetson solved that problem and now they are dependable?

I have a hat coming for Christmas. I just have to pick one out, now. I'm trying to decide between this:
http://www.getahaton.com/Stetson_Nostalgia_Fedora_p/tf320c0324.nostc.htm

and this:
http://www.jjhatcenter.com/index.php?productID=115

Both are open crown and come in gray, which is the color I will buy.

Personally, I'm liking the Biltmore. Besides, the Stetson must have been real popular. There's only one color (caribou) and two sizes left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy