Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Pinnacle

Arasen

New in Town
Was looking at purchasing a Stetson Temple, but after reading about quality issues with modern Stetson's I started to look at the Pinnacle. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this hat or if anyone knew Stetson's quality issues extended to their top-line dress hats? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

lc1484

One of the Regulars
BF is right. I have a Pinnacle in caribou...It is a nice hat, the crown is a little short for me....I bought a Nostalgia just recently and prefer that hat more, even though it is not beaver.....If you can get a used one, I would get it there, but if you are ready to drop the money for a new Pinnacle, I would just order a custom VS from Art...you will be glad you did...I have a 2nd one on order now.

Larry;)

HatFan

New in Town
I have a Pinnacle, wearing it today as a matter of fact, and I have been very pleased with it. The felt is soft and the hat is light, although I wish it had a 2 1/2 brim instead of the 2 5/8...just my personal preference.

I don't have any experience with the custom made hats, so I can't chime in much there, but you will see from the feedback on the lounge that they are held in high esteem.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
I love my Pinnacle!

I have a Pinnacle in black, pictured in my avatar. It's one of my favorite hats. Yes, it cost about as much as my two hats from Vintage Silhouttes, but it fills a different niche. The hats from VS, with their taller crowns, are more attention-getting. As such, I feel that a more moderate hat is called for in some situations.

I think the quality of the felt on my Pinnacle is as good as any modern hat I own, and I have no complaints about this hat. It's an excellent hat that is just right for many situations. Isn't that what it's all about?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
ScottyBlues said:
The hats from VS, with their taller crowns, are more attention-getting. As such, I feel that a more moderate hat is called for in some situations.

Art can make you a hat with a shorter crown, in a simple color, and with a plain ribbon. Many of us order big, bright hats with fancy ribbons because we can, not because we have to. A hat from Art will be made just for you and to your specifications. Why buy something off the rack when you can get a bespoke hat, made from the same 100% beaver fur, but with vintage ribbon and far better workmanship, for the same price?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I like the Stetson Pinnacle very much.

People can opine about customs all they want, the pinnacle remains a good hat.

EDIT: Just occured to me, you may also wish to check out Beaver Brand, if you are looking for a quality "off the shelf" hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that anyone has said that it's a bad hat. I've simply stated that for $300, one can do better.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I have some experience with this hat.

The Pinnacle is not, as noted above, a bad hat. It is 100% beaver felt in a production hat. It is also readily available. But, it does not approach the number of steps used or the finish of a Custom Hat. IMHO, the Pinnacle is a pretty good $100-150 hat.

However, in support of Lefty's comment, the Pinnacle is not the equivalent of a $300.00 Custom Hat. Nor should it be considering the individual steps, custom fit, and finish of a Custom Hat.

If one must have a $300+ hat, spend your money wisely. Order and wait to receive a Custom Hat.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Lefty said:
I don't think that anyone has said that it's a bad hat. I've simply stated that for $300, one can do better.

Hm? I didn't mean to imply that they did. Very sorry, bad choice of words on my part.

The subjectivity of expensive hats and hat purchases in general is going to bite us here. :D

Neil

A-List Customer
Pinnacles

I have two. Bought 'em from Carter on this very lounge. They're nice. Felt is good grade, and I kind of like the lower crown. It's classic looking, although I understand that towering, untapered crowns seem to be all the rage.
Anyway, I paid a lot less than $300. I don't think the Pinnacle is worth $300, or even $350 which is what it goes for in some quarters.
I can only repeat what everyone else here has said: For that kind of dough, go custom.
(I'm getting an Optimo for Christmas, and at that point, one of the Pinnacles is going to have to take its place in the classified section of this site).

warbird

One Too Many
carter said:
The Pinnacle is not, as noted above, a bad hat. It is 100% beaver felt in a production hat. It is also readily available. But, it does not approach the number of steps used or the finish of a Custom Hat. IMHO, the Pinnacle is a pretty good $100-150 hat.

However, in support of Lefty's comment, the Pinnacle is not the equivalent of a $300.00 Custom Hat. Nor should it be considering the individual steps, custom fit, and finish of a Custom Hat.

If one must have a $300+ hat, spend your money wisely. Order and wait to receive a Custom Hat.

Well said!

HATCO

Vendor
Our Pinnacle goes through the same number of steps as any other hat, manufactured or custom made.

A pure beaver hat for $100-150 retail? There is no way. We would lose money. Unless the retail shop wanted to make zero $ on the markup.

Just curious what do you think it costs us to make a royal quality dress hat?

I'd like to know your guesses. I won't be able to tell you if your right or how far off you are but it would be interesting to see.

Royal Quality should retail for about 135-140

carter said:

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll start on the guesses. I would say it costs you $75 to $85 to manufacture a Royal Quality. That is manufacture-only and nothing else such as shipping, etc. added.

I'd also like to tell you that I like modern Stetson hats! I own a Miller Humphrey made by Stetson (Imperial felt), a Stetson Hampton, Dexter, and one that is a Dexter-style finish and center-dent with a short 2-2 1/8 brim in black and that had no name tag on the rack so I don't know the model (all in Sovereign felt), a Gun Club, a Stetson shantung straw OR, and a Grade 8 panama Center-dent. I think they look sharp and wear well, though we don't really get much rain around here and when it does I don't stand out in it to test my hats for dye fastness. I would like to see more Stetson hats made with the taller, less tapered crowns.

Vintage-only guys, please don't excommunicate me from the Lounge for sacrilege but I do think Stetson/Hatco gets beat up pretty badly sometimes.

HATCO

Vendor
Sorry, I should be more clear. :) We sell wholesale to retail. How is retail price arrived at? The simplest is called keystone. Which is basically doubling the wholesale cost.

If Royal Quality retails for $135 - $140 that means we wholesale it for $67-$70.

So again what do you think our cost is in making a Royal Quality Felt Dress Hat?

Mr. Paladin said:
I'll start on the guesses. I would say it costs you $75 to $85 to manufacture a Royal Quality. That is manufacture-only and nothing else such as shipping, etc. added.

HatFan

New in Town
I agree with Paladin and Dewhurst. I own Stetsons in my collection and I believe they are well built, nice hats. The Pinnacle in particular is a very fine hat. Even though it is a bit expensive, I did not pay $300, but I would guess that any 100% beaver hat is going to be more expensive than a non-beaver, custom or not.

carter

I'll Lock Up
HATCO said:
Our Pinnacle goes through the same number of steps as any other hat, manufactured or custom made.
(I may be incorrect but) I have seen felts worked and pounced multiple times by a custom hatter until they have just the right finish and texture. This can be a very exacting and time consuming process. I do not believe the same number of steps are taken in working the felt on a production hat.

HATCO said:
A pure beaver hat for $100-150 retail? There is no way. We would lose money. Unless the retail shop wanted to make zero $ on the markup.
No disagreement on retailers and their mark-up. However, paying the same price as paid to a custom hatter for an equivalent quality felt doesn't make sense to me. The prices paid at the HATCO OUTLET are certainly very reasonable.

HATCO said:
Just curious what do you think it costs us to make a royal quality dress hat?
When did we shift from 100% beaver to Royal Quality? [huh] I don't know but my guess is less than 25% of retail.

I'm not saying that Stetson's aren't good hats. I am saying that IMHO the value is not the same as that of a custom hat made expressly for a specific customer.

I have many Stetson hats both new and vintage as well as custom hats and hats from other manufacturers. I enjoy them all.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I hesitate to weigh in on this because these discussions never end well, but I will try to make one point and then slowly back away.;) Comparing a production hat of any kind to a VS is really unfair to both. The deal breaker for me with current production hats is the styling and limited color options, not the felt quality. Most, not all, current hats sport low crowns and a very bland color spectrum. Thats my opinion and I am not trying to convince anyone.

HATCO

Vendor
I know more about the furfelt blends than the pure beavers. :)

I'll go try and find out how many times each hat goes through on a pouncing machine. I know it's a minimum of 2-3 in different grits.

Prices at the outlet store are reasonable b/c they are 2nds. :)

carter said:
(I may be incorrect but) I have seen felts worked and pounced multiple times by a custom hatter until they have just the right finish and texture. This can be a very exacting and time consuming process. I do not believe the same number of steps are taken in working the felt on a production hat.

No disagreement on retailers and their mark-up. However, paying the same price as paid to a custom hatter for an equivalent quality felt doesn't make sense to me. The prices paid at the HATCO OUTLET are certainly very reasonable.

When did we shift from 100% beaver to Royal Quality? [huh] I don't know but my guess is less than 25% of retail.

I'm not saying that Stetson's aren't good hats. I am saying that IMHO the value is not the same as that of a custom hat made expressly for a specific customer.

I have many Stetson hats both new and vintage as well as custom hats and hats from other manufacturers. I enjoy them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24