Stetson Retro Panama Straw Hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Fedora64, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Fedora64

Fedora64 New in Town

2. simmonsgc

simmonsgc Familiar Face

Nice enough hat

Hi-- I think I have one of those. I'm wearing it in the picture in this post.

They're nice enough hats, I suppose. Mine has the black ribbon as in the pic you posted, and a cotton sweat as opposed to leather. It's a nice light hat, relatively course weave...but whaddya want for $50?

Your mileage may vary, but I like mine. Gets me to the bus stop in the summertime! Good luck with whatever you choose....

Cheers,
    GC

3. Fedora64

Fedora64 New in Town

Thank you Sir!

4. Bill Greene

Bill Greene One of the Regulars

Got one, and it's GREAT. Not the best hat in the world, but I can't afford that anyway. For what it is, it's a 9 on a scale of 1 - 10. You'll love it.

5. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

I've heard good things in other posts about the Retro, too bad it doesn't come in XXL or I'd have one myself. You might also take a look at this Panama from David Morgan:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319

It's very similar in its proportions, and has some nice features (pinch reinforcing, wire in the brim) which may justify the slightly higher price. I'm considering it now as it actually comes big enough, but I haven't pulled the trigger. Of course if you bought one and reviewed it, that might help me make up my mind, hint, hint..... ;)

6. texashatman

texashatman Familiar Face

Mine was a little "dry rotted" when I bought it. It has 3 breaks in it now but I just put a band-aid on the inside and a little elmers wood glue and I still wear it a lot. You can't see where I've patched it but I wish I had manipulated it a little more at the store before I bought it. It was my first straw hat so I didn't really know what to look for. It is comfortable as heck though.

7. Duper

Duper Practically Family

8. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

I found it to suffer the selfsame primary shortcoming of other contemporary Stetsons; THE CROWN IS TOO DOGGONE LOW!
    Other than that, a nice, cheap Panama. Cheaper in fact at Falkoff's than anywhere else I've found. I now get mine w/ higher crowns from Panama Bob.

9. skyvue

skyvue Call Me a Cab

I'm beginning to think Stetson has something against those of us with larger heads.

When you think of it, if a company like Stetson would cater to, rather than ignore, large-headed guys, they'd be appealing to a market that can't turn that many other places for hats.

Smaller headed guys can stock up on amazing vintage hats, and often for no more than they'd pay for new hats. But big-headed guys don't have that option -- we have to buy new.

So where is the love for us, Stetson?

10. Fedoraadorer

Fedoraadorer New in Town

I have this hat and love it. A good value for the price paid.

11. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

Carldelo, I pulled the trigger on the David Morgan Panama. I'll let you know how it is when I receive it. Looks like a nice hat.

[​IMG]

12. RBH

RBH Bartender

Like Rick I think its a nice enough hat... but the crown is to low for me.

13. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

Looking forward to the review. I never did pick up a Milan from the Hat Guys, simply because I already have one (duh...), but I don't have a Panama yet. I've never handled a straw with a wire in the brim - the reinforcement in the pinch looks interesting too.

14. DRB

DRB One Too Many

GC, you and your wife look like you are having fun in that picture. The idea to remove the proprietary ribbon and replace it with a necktie is clever. It works for the hat. I would have never known that the hat was modified.
    The hat looks good but I spent a little more and got this for $100
    [​IMG]
    Should arrive tomorrow. I don't want to invest alot of money in straws because I live in Vermont. We got 9 inches of snow last night. 2 trees are down in the drive way. Should be fun going to work.

15. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Well I go the hat today. Well worth the money. Unfortunately, I think I am going to return it. Some hats fit lop-sided on me because my head is not perfectly symmetrical. This is one of them. I think I am going to stick with ordering from Art Fawcett from now on. He has that conformer thingy that measures your head exactly.

P.S. 9 inches of snow became 15. Odd weather.

16. equity space

equity space New in Town

I bought one in Miami three years ago and love it. The feather fell out though-need to find a replacement.