Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Temple or Akubra Federation?

forstorp

New in Town
Howdy,

a week a go I landed a mint Stetson Temple (mink) that fit perfectly. Late one night and early one morning I was so happy because of this hat. During breakfast, while I let the hat hang casually on the staircase, I heard my dog ( a yellow lab) busy with something. I worried and caught him in the process of tearing the hat to pieces...we did not talk to each other until the next day.

Now I have question for you guys (and I know there are plenty of you out there with lots of knowledge and opinions) concerning the choice of hats (I will leave the question of domesticating dogs to another thread). The Temple was exquisite and fits me like a glove (or like a well fitting hat should). But I have also been glancing at the Akubra Federation which seems only to be available from Australia (no UK och US shops carry them as far as I can see).

My question is: what would be your choice, and how would you argue in this hat selection case?

Tomcat

New in Town
Like I said in the other post, Akubra outdoes a modern Stetson by leaps and bounds these days.

I used to have a Federation. If you get one, you might want to go with tone from hatsdirect.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=59&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

I liked the one that I had only the felt was a little too thick for me (I live in a hot climate)

The deluxe one may be better.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=65&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

Mine wasn't deluxe and I have heard that the deluxe ones are better.

I went with a bushman or squatter typa hat of superfine quality and you can shape it as you like. And is only $60 US money right now plus shipping, of course.

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=20

I try to stay away from the Indiana Jones look, but I get those comparisons anyway. Harrison Ford did a lot for Fedoras but he did make some of us that wear them looks like extras in the next big Steven Speilberg film.

Colt

Familiar Face
Howdy and Welcome Forstorp!

My vote would have to go to the Federation. I own a both and as much as I like the fit of my Temple the Fed is a much better hat for the money and does not have the Taper like the Temple. Just My .02 cents.

Colt

forstorp

New in Town
Well, thanks for all the comments! I know I have arrived with the right group of people! I can tell that a few of you shy away from the Indy look - actually I am not sure myself, apart from being associated with upcoming studio productions, I am quite short and I fear that the 6 inch crown will rise like a twoer on my head. So far I have been indulging in quite modest fedoras, but I guess sometime it is right to step an inch or two.
I have learned that the federation deluxe is only available in 'loden' (i take it to be the greenish color of Austrian outerwear). How do you guys feel about that color?
So, given that the Akubra gets a lot of credit and that your opinions about Stetsons seems to be that they are not as good as they used top be, did any one of you try anyother model of the Akubra than the federation. There are Bogarts and CEOs and all other sorts of shapes.

So, now when the dog chewed my new hat I am struggling to get ahead...

Tomcat

New in Town
yea, Loden is dark brown..I used to have a Akubra in that color.

I have had several differnet Akubras...I have a Stylemaster and a modified Bushman hat right now.

Here is my experience with the Akubra...its really a matter of preference.

Very well built hat (espeically for the money) The imperial felt hats are a little thicker and not as soft as you might like, but it is not too stiff. The heritage felt is softer and still holds up. The superfine felt is light wait, but still rugged, but they are all nice.

You may do well with a Biltmore hat, as well. They are good hats too. Like I said, it is hard to tell you exactally because it is just a matter of preference.

One more thing, I wouldn't buy an Akubra from David Morgan (I did once and they had those hooks inside them for attaching a chin cord, which I thought took away from the look of the hat). You may do better off to buy one directly from Australia...which is very easy these days through the Internet.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
You wern’t able to wear the Steson Temple for very long, did you? Once these fedoras see water they start to taper and can’t undo the damage. They’re made like disposible hats but priced like a mid-range fedora that’s supposed to last a very long time.

I bought the Akubra Federation Regular and it held up like a charm. I believe you’re supposed to wear a fedora in all weather and not have it ruined with in half a year.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
If I were you looking for a nice brim for a good price, I wouldn't limit yourself to Stetson or Akubra, especially given your sensibility.

Just check out Vintage Silhouettes, owned by Art Fawcett. Talk to Art. He'll set you up with the perfect fedora that doesn't have to look like Indy or Bogie. You'll be glad you did. He has more hats in more styles than the classical god of western theism himself.

G

Wconly

Familiar Face
forstorp! Your story is amazing ..from a variety of reasons! Back in the 80's, I managed to find one of the Stetson Temples, when it was still the Lucas licensed 'Indy' hats! Had a prop plane in the liner and was not a bad hat. I had just got it looking the way I really wanted it to look after wearing it almost night and day for about three years. Then one night (while I slept), Grizbonk (my newly aquired, at the time, cocker puppy) decided the hat looked like a great treat -- by morning, my fedora was no more! Couldn't really get to angry with the little beasty, as he was just a pup and, after all, I am the one who left it sitting on the top of a chair that was clearly accessible to him! Never forgave myself for this oversight, but it certainly made me that much more cautious w/all future hats! What can I say exept -- good hat, bad dog! All Regards....W>

Victor

One of the Regulars
I agree with checking with Art for great service and selection. If you want a hat that is not a particular "character" hat, but just a fine hat for you then rt is yoru man. If you do want to have an Indy hat I don't think anyone makes them better than Fedora (Steve Delk) who makes the Adventurebilt hat. It is as true to an Indy hat as they come and is made from pure beaver which is a step up from the hat used in the movie. its a really sweet hat and the price is right as well. I would check out www.indygear.com/forum to learn more about the Adventurebilt. I have one and love it. Much better felt than an Akubra to be sure!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Pure beaver

I have three of Steve Delk"s hats all in pure beaver. Just give him a call at 662-327-1397. He makes a great hat. If you don"t want the Indy look order it open crown.

His prices just can"t be beat. The average hatter charges $600.00 and up for the 100% beaver fur felt fedora.

They will put fancy names, numbers even tell you it a special run of beaver felts from a private felter. Its all hogwash just a way to make you think you getting the very best.

Steve AKA Fedora here at the lounge builds a great hat for a fair price. If you want a all beaver hat that will last the rest of your life and then some.

A friend told me once buy the hat "NOT THE HYPE"!! :) :cool2: :)

Victor

One of the Regulars
I think that all I can say is that when it comes to the hat world I am spoiled. Other than a Stetson that I bought at a western shop that had very good customer service the only *fine* hat that I own is The Adventurebilt and the only hatters that I have had personal dealings with have been Steve and Art, both top of the line in my opinion. With these guys one need go no further except perhaps ebay or antique stores for a bargain on vintage and then if you get an old but fine beater these gentlemen can reblock and clean it up for you so that it will be as close to brand new as the original felt will allow!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Correct

I have had personal dealings with have been Steve and Art, both top of the line in my opinion. With these guys one need go no further except perhaps ebay or antique stores for a bargain on vintage and then if you get an old but fine beater these gentlemen can reblock and clean it up for you so that it will be as close to brand new as the original felt will allow![/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head. :cheers1:

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Old Hat have you tried emailing one of the moderators at Club Obi Wan? Some of them even post here. I had a similar thing happen to me and they were able to rectify the problem. They may not even be aware of the problem.

forstorp

New in Town
Howdy, thanks for all the recommendations on hats!

First of all: I have to admit that this is not the first hat that my dog chews. Actually he dug his teeth into an Akubra Stockman that was hanging at the door knob after we had been walking in the rain. Stupid of me to put it there, and while he was still a puppy I could not be too angry with him (but maybe, that is precisely a reason for being angry with puppies, to make them learn). When the same dog destroiyed my new Temple, I went bezerk because I regard hoim as a mature dog - as if a mature dog would ever respect hats! (stupid of me - again).

Quite a few of you have recommended the Fed from down under and I think I'll go for that. Consultation with Art or Steve will wait (but thanks for showing me the best sources) until I am better off - any way it is not so easy to negotiate a hat while being at different sides of the ocean.

I also mentioned that I am bit hesitant at putting a six inch 'tower' on my head, since I am quite short (173 cm - whatever that will be in feet and inches). So what do you think: will a short person look less fitting in a six inch hat? Or am I just negatively opinionated?

Victor

One of the Regulars
HMMM, thats a good question. I personally find the Indy hat a bit tall for me (I am six feet) so you might want to try on a few hats to find your right shape. My Adventurebilt bashed the way I like it is about 4 3/4 inches at the top of the pinch, about 4 1/4 inches at the lowest part of the back and 5 1/4 inches at its tallest point. It is a little less than 6 inches when open crown but you lose some when you shape it. I believe that I wear it bashed a little lower than most indy purists but it is a matter of preference and a half an inch does make a difference in the way it looks!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Forstorp...

Get help for your dogs or they/he/she will continue down the slippery slope of destructive behavior. I happen to be a professional dog trainer and would be happy to discuss some behavior modification techniques with anybody interested. Dogs and puppies of about three months can be trained to leave items alone while the owner is not present. If there is any interest, let me know.

forstorp

New in Town
Biltmore Bob said:
Get help for your dogs or they/he/she will continue down the slippery slope of destructive behavior. I happen to be a professional dog trainer and would be happy to discuss some behavior modification techniques with anybody interested. Dogs and puppies of about three months can be trained to leave items alone while the owner is not present. If there is any interest, let me know.

Thanks for the offer! Actually, my dog is quite well behaving. It is not that we have a great problem with him all the time. He happens to have destroyed two of my hats, and as a puppy, he did some real damage to the furniture. Now he i s just sleeping and waiting for us to take a walk or to eat or to chew an occassional bone.
If you wish, I would like some advice anyway. We thought of getting another labrador puppy within a year or so and then I guess these behavior modification techniques would become handy. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo