Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "The Avenue"

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I have never seen a Stetson "The Avenue" here on the Lounge or in any auctions on the 'Bay. Never even seen an ad for one. This one comes from johnnyphi's treasure trove. The lid is a beautiful medium shade of gray. The felt is actually fairly thick and somewhat stiff, but with a soft finish. I think this one could hold up for a good long time.

A couple of interesting features include the fact that the stitching on the sweat goes around a layer of reed tape -- even though the sweat is not reeded (thanks to Art Fawcett for this insight). In addition, the brim has an overwelt that is very nicely done. It is very flat and smooth, with three rows of stitiching that also show through on the backside of the curl.

I love the full brim, which is 2 3/4". I focused on putting circular side dents in this one (as I did with my Dobbs 20), then I let the rest of the crease fall into place. It wound up with a diamond crease, which I think looks sharp on this lid.

OpenCrown-14.jpg

Liner-15.jpg

TheAvenue.jpg

Center-6.jpg

Edge2.jpg

Diamond.jpg

Left-4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, Gents. Here are a couple more detail shots of the brim edge treatment:

Edge.jpg

ReverseEdge.jpg

A 1950 Stetson ad for the Flagship touts the new "Wafer Edge," which looks extremely similar. A 1954 ad for the Custom V also appears to feature this edge:

1950Flagship.jpg

1954CustomV.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy...that is a fantastic hat!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Maybe now that Hatco is back, maybe he can shed some light on some of these "unknown" hats...[huh]

hatflick1

Practically Family
Great looking hat, I agree.
From the one close up of the brim treatment, the felt appeared to be wool. Is it? Is there a tag under the sweatband?
I believe Stetson made wool toppers at that time. That's why I ask.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys.

Hatflick1 -- It's not a wool lid. The photo you're referring to was taken with a macro lens, so the fibers tend to stand out in detail.

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been waiting to see your post for this hat, JtL, then I updated my e-mail here and couldn't post all weekend. The Stetson looks fantastic!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Very impressive, Jimmy!

Jimmy...

This is the perfect hat for you... and an education for all of us. Your descriptions, detailed photos and related advertisements are the incredible.

Well done, my friend!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy