Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetsons

Griff

New in Town
Hey Fedora friends. I'm new to this and to fedoras. My one Grandad wore Stetson rancher hats and my other Grandad wore several different fedoras.
I've always fancied the fedora hat so decided to order one.
I ordered a Stetson Lodi from The Fedora Store. Seemed like a good starter. After reading on this site and some other opinions about fur vs wool (even though it has cashmere in it) I think I'll try and change my order to a Stetson Chatham. I'll find out tomorrow if the Fedora Store can or will change the order. I just placed the order Wed of last week. Since the order will take 4 to 6 weeks to fill I'm hoping I can get the change in time.
Would be curious to hear what you all think about the 2 hats and if it will be worth the money and trouble to change. I realize the Lodi is a blend of wool and cashmere blend ($119) and the Chatham is higher end fur felt ($189). Still like to know opinions and info. I may have to keep the Lodi. I like the style and seems to be a decent hat. The Chatham if a fine looking hat also.

Really like the site. Have learned a lot and think it's neat that there is a group of men and women that like to live and keep history alive with the great vintage look. I love watching old period movies and see how the people are dressed in the 20's - 40's. Love the Jazz Age look .
Hope to hear from you all.

cuz ever woman's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man --- ZZ Top

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There's nothing wrong with Stetson fur felts (I've worn a Temple for years), but I suggest that you do a search and check out the dozens of threads here on Akubra fur-felt hats. There are many Akubra models in the $100 range that may suit you better than the Chatham, and frankly, they're better built (for one thing, the sweatbands are much more comfortable) and nearly indestructible. Stetsons are somewhat flimsy in comparsion, and some tend to lose their their shape, or have their dye run, in the rain. And with current converstion rates, the Akubras cost less.

carldelo

One Too Many
The Lodi and Chatham are the same shape - Stetson calls it profile 10. There is also the Stetson Downs, which is the same shape made from Royal grade fur felt, between the Lodi and Chatham in quality. It is definitely worth paying the extra for fur felt over wool, in my opinion, especially if the wool is that expensive - that's a steep price for the Chatham, it can be had for quite a bit less. If you want to save a bit, I suggest you look around for a Downs, and check Bencraft for the Ashland or the new Stetson Whippet. The new Whippet is basically a Chatham with a bound brim, and is a very nice looking modern fedora. The Ashland is just a Downs with a underwelt brim (turned under and stitched) - I have 2 and like them very much.

Dr. Strange is correct that Akubra are less expensive than Stetson - I would quibble about the quality statement, though. I think Stetson felt is nicer and prefer the more modest crown dimensions, but it's true that Akubra last a long time and have really nice sweatbands and liners. The issue for a newbie is ordering a hat sight-unseen from Down Under, when you're not 100% sure what you want ahead of time. An Akubra is almost not returnable as the shipping is such a large fraction of the cost of the hat. Although a new Akubra could generally be sold on the lounge at a small loss if you find you don't like it - I've disposed of 2 that way rather than returning them.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Having worn a Chatham for about six months last year (until I found a nicer hat by chance at a county show) I can say that it is indeed a nice hat and it will survive several heavy downpours. It's what I'm wearing in my avatar. However, it will become a bit worn over time in that it will not look as sharp as when you bought it as the brim will become slightly droopy and the colour a bit mottled.

The sweat band is not nice as all, that's all I can say as regards that. It feels like plastic. I'm told many modern hats have this issue, though Akubra seems to be an exception (I hope to find this out for myself later this week, depending on whether the postal service does it's job).

The dye on Stetsons is made to look even through the use of powder, which is fine when the hat is knew but makes it look patchy when part of the powder is washed out, hence why the hat will not be as sharp after a few months of wear.

Therefore, as a big fan of the Chatham since it served me well, I say get it if you like the look but make sure you know its limitations. However, Noggintops (www.noggintops.com) may give you a cheaper price for it, at least I managed to get it for $135 with shipping to the UK, though I did have a coupon code at the time thanks to a helpful member of this forum.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Just to clarify my position, modern Stetsons are definitely good hats... But I think they are overpriced for their build quality. Personally, I wouldn't spend $189 for a Chatham when I can get a Akubra Stylemaster for $83!

That's today's US$ price at Everything Australian, see:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?page=4

If the color/size you want is in stock, shipping is about $15, and it will arrive in a week and a half.

In any case, waiting four to six weeks for an overpriced Stetson seems weird - I mean, the Chatham is $145 at Bencraft (plus a 10% discount now, apparently) and they'd probably ship it tomorrow:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=256&subcname=Stetson

All I'm saying is, do some more research...

Doctor Strange said:
Just to clarify my position, modern Stetsons are definitely good hats... But I think they are overpriced for their build quality. Personally, I wouldn't spend $189 for a Chatham when I can get a Akubra Stylemaster for $83!
I agree with the Good Doctor. I just bought a Sovereign Stetson Roadmaster for under $150 including shipping. There are better deals out there but I doubt I'll ever buy another modern Stetson retail again. I like the felt of the Roadmaster but not the factory pressed crease.
I'd definitely buy multiple Akubras instead of a single Stetson Chatham for $190!

Griff

New in Town
Got the Lodi

Called to check on changing of the Lodi to the Chatham and was told the order was already in for the Lodi. Guess that is good as after reading the replys to my post and checking out other sites - $189 is too much to pay for the Chatham. I'll be getting the Lodi for $107. I realize it's not fur felt but... I do like the tear drop shape with the 2 1/4in brim. It was my first choice before I started to read this site. Figure I'll wear it mostly in the winter and will look for a fur felt for more year round.
Anyway, what's the deal with the Lodi? I understand it's a cashmere/wool blend. Does the blend make it better as far as durability and shape retention? How about dye color retention? I figure the cashmere will make it feel softer. The salesman at The Fedora Store didn't tell me a whole lot other than the cashmere makes it a higher end wool hat. Any thoughts about the Lodi?
Again, I enjoy the site and can't wait to get my fedora.

Don't know anything about cashmere & wool blend but cashmere & beaver blend in the western hats of Stetson are some of their higher ranking felts. I'm either a rabbit/hare or beaver fur felt snob you'd say. I'd consider a nutria if I ever come across one in my size. Wool felt looks & wears okay until it gets wet & then goes downhill rapidly from there. I assume cashmere/wool will be more durable. I consider $107 for a non fur felt hat too high of a price for the cost to quality equation. Hopefully, your Lodi brings in the style points you're looking for to make up for that.

carldelo

One Too Many
Griff said:
Called to check on changing of the Lodi to the Chatham and was told the order was already in for the Lodi. Guess that is good as after reading the replys to my post and checking out other sites - $189 is too much to pay for the Chatham. I'll be getting the Lodi for $107. I realize it's not fur felt but... I do like the tear drop shape with the 2 1/4in brim. It was my first choice before I started to read this site. Figure I'll wear it mostly in the winter and will look for a fur felt for more year round.
Anyway, what's the deal with the Lodi? I understand it's a cashmere/wool blend. Does the blend make it better as far as durability and shape retention? How about dye color retention? I figure the cashmere will make it feel softer. The salesman at The Fedora Store didn't tell me a whole lot other than the cashmere makes it a higher end wool hat. Any thoughts about the Lodi?
Again, I enjoy the site and can't wait to get my fedora.

Well, if you like the crown shape and brim width of the Lodi but don't like the wool when you get it, you can always return it and opt for the Ashland I mentioned above with the same brim size of 2-1/4". Trying out the Lodi will give you an idea of whether you want a wider or narrower brim, taller crown or whatever. If you think you want a taller crown with a slightly wider brim, I suggest the Akubra Stylemaster as a very good entry-level fedora - I sold mine, but only because I found the crown too tall and the brim too wide.

Griff

New in Town
Carldelo -

The guy at the Fedora Store told me since the Lodi is a special (4 to 6 week) order - I can't send it back. I'm stuck with it unless I sell it to someone else. I think I'll like it ok. I will say that the Fedora Store was the best price for the Lodi. Another site had it for $125 and the hats were backordered. Another site had them for $87 but only had grey and black and not in my size.

carldelo

One Too Many
Griff said:
Carldelo -

The guy at the Fedora Store told me since the Lodi is a special (4 to 6 week) order - I can't send it back. I'm stuck with it unless I sell it to someone else. I think I'll like it ok. I will say that the Fedora Store was the best price for the Lodi. Another site had it for $125 and the hats were backordered. Another site had them for $87 but only had grey and black and not in my size.

Ah, I get it, they ordered it and had it made for you. Hey, I think you'll probably like it, and you can let the rest of us know what the cashmere mix is like. So what color are you getting? As you go on getting more hats (and you probably will), in a few years the Lodi may become your go-to hat for hiking or yardwork, or whatever. I think we've all moved a few hats down the line in the course of collecting and wearing them - all part of the addiction, er, fun, I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL