Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strategy of the Campaign in Western Europe

rumblefish

One Too Many
My friend’s father worked on this report shortly after WW II. After he left the service, the Army contacted him to return the contents of his locker and this report was in it. After my friend’s father had passed, I had the opportunity to look this over a few times. All very interesting; Maps, and the synopsis of strategies, their outcomes and observations. My friend now is in contact with various museums to help figure out what the will do with this. In the meantime he took these photos.

I’ve left the photos large for easier reading. Enjoy:)

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
DutchIndo said:
Interesting any chance of reprinting those for public consumption ? Churchill wanted to conquer Europe by going up the "boot" of Italy. We now know how that turned out.

How did it turn out is not the question, the question is how it would have turned out, if all the troops, navy and airforce needed for the Normandy landing had been used in Italy instead.
Or if the Italian campaign had gotten the same priority and the same leaders as D-day.
That - I think - would have been quite another story.

Off course there were lots of logistics better handled in - and from UK when looking at Normandy - but still. It makes me wonder?

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
The Italian campaign was a tough one no doubt. It was more mountainous than Europe, it really chewed up the Allies. I can't help to feel sorry for that theater of Operation like the Pacific it was overshadowed by D-Day.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Rumblefish, thanks very much for posting these, it's fascinating. Glad that the allies managed to get that 'lodgement' sorted - I've never heard it called that before!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails