Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat Day

Dewhurst

Practically Family
avedwards said:
I suppose the less drastically changable weather of the US allows rules like that to work better than in the UK.

This would make a great joke here in the South of the US of A. :)

May 15th is another one of those days that is a really bad rule of thumb unless you live in a few specific locations (like... maybe California?). I only have one straw hat at any one time due to how little use it gets around here.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
This would make a great joke here in the South of the US of A. :)

May 15th is another one of those days that is a really bad rule of thumb unless you live in a few specific locations (like... maybe California?). I only have one straw hat at any one time due to how little use it gets around here.
Well you have a bigger country than we do, so maybe the straw hat rule applies in some areas and not others?

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
I nice turn of events. My Akubra Capricorn arrived on the doorstep today, and I mentally prepared myself to suffer until Father's Day, as the lid is a gift from the wife and kids for that occasion.

I decided to take out my frustration on the lawn, and lo and behold, my two sons come to me in mid-mow, bearing the hat in hands. My bride had decided that in view of the expected balmy weather, and probably with the silly notion in her head that I'd mope until June 21st if made to wait, had opened the box.

I'm now set for Straw Hat Day, even if the straw is ersatz. I chose the plastic Akubra for the ability to have a hat with the look of a Milan straw that can laugh at our frequent Northwest showers.

I hereby declare tomorrow Straw or Plastic Made in China but Assembled in Australia Hat Day.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I appreciate the reminder and any input from a new member willing to contribute. We don't need too much reminding here in the Valley of the Sun where the temp is 104F degrees today! I started sporting my favorite Stetson 'Gordon' in April and it already has a sweat ring!

Hey.. and I'm wearing a white suit now too - so there!

-dixon cannon

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Happy Straw Hat Day to all!!!

Rain, rain go away.....sadly it looks like it will be at least next week before I can break out the straws in earnest.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Although the temperatures are certainly warmer, I am still wearing my felts - the lighter ones, mainly. I try to adjourn the straws in favour of the felts because I like the latter better. Straw time will come, too - to each its own. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'll have to confine my straw hatting indoors today. We're expecting cats & dogs (the meteorological variety).

raining-cats-dogs.jpg

Neil

A-List Customer
PB wide-brim, Optimo blocked today. Then semi-calado, Batsakes block this evening at an outdoor cafe.
The wide brim doesn't snap, but it sure is nice.

irb

Familiar Face
Nice hat!

I think May 15 must be Straw Hat Day because that's the day my very first Panama showed up in the mail. I'll hopefully have some photos later but my Super Fino from Panama Bob arrived yesterday and I am ecstatic about it. It's perfect.

In truth I wasn't here for its delivery so my girlfriend and I had to go down to the post office today to get; I was convinced it'd be too small, but it's exactly what I was hoping for. Still, I like that it showed up on Straw Hat Day. *grin*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW