Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat Day

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Seeing as...

...we spend plenty of time here discussing the merits of wearing hats at all, does it really matter?

In April/May I begin to wear straws as based on the weather that day. Over 80=Straw.

Neil

A-List Customer
Bruce Wayne. . .

You just bought a couple of Milans from Graham? Got pics? Why two? And the straw is colored?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The thing that tickles me about this whole topic is that there actually used to be a semi quasi official straw hat day that was recognized. Of course latitude had an influence. You breakout the straw when it's appropriate.
I just like the idea of reviving a tradition that obviously was widely observed in its day, a hundred years ago.

GClark

One of the Regulars
I'm curious to know how many of you wear felt during the summer?
If rain is forecast on a hot summer day, will you wear a felt hat, for instance?
Does anyone actually prefer an unlined felt hat to straw?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
GClark said:
If rain is forecast on a hot summer day, will you wear a felt hat, for instance?

Speaking for myself: when the straws come out, the felts go in. Should rain be predicted, I'm more likely to wear a linen cap, or (in more country circumstances, which is where I live) a waxed cotton hat or cap.

But that's just me. I would certainly not cut someone for wearing a felt!

"Skeet"

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
The thing that tickles me about this whole topic is that there actually used to be a semi quasi official straw hat day that was recognized. Of course latitude had an influence. You breakout the straw when it's appropriate.

Yeah, really.

I just wear whatever I think will be appropriate on any given day.

I work outside all day during July and August. If its raining, or most likely to at any moment, I wear a felt, usually that huge brown Bailey western I have.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
GClark said:
As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I prefer any felt to straw. The British habit of often raining has heavily influenced that. I haven't the money to buy another hat, so I will wear an ordiney felt rather than a lightweight. I might take the liner out if I feel too warm.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
If what I read in "Hatless Jack" is true, straw hat day used to be rather brutally enforced in many US cities, and those unlucky enough to be caught with the wrong hats on after the appointed day would have them knocked off by gangs of street toughs or simple passers by, and the hats would then be destroyed. Sometimes things got pretty violent, as you can imagine.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neil said:
You just bought a couple of Milans from Graham? Got pics? Why two? And the straw is colored?
no i have had them since last summer. i just got them reflanged since the brims lost their snap sitting over winter & i had an edge binding put on. yes, the straw is coloured. i thinki goot the last blue one though. he still has some black bodies.

Neil

A-List Customer
I would submit, Charlie, that it's hard to imagine anything dressier in the summer than a beautifully blocked Montecristi.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jkingrph said:
I actually started late last week. Late spring has been unseasonably cool down here this year. I just saw on the weather report that we had upper 40's in the area last night.

We had frost yesterday morning. Oh, well, there were still snow piles this time last year ;). Not yet too late to plant tropical fruits...

chili_pepper.jpg

tomatoes-main_Full.jpg

Now pick your summer ribbon color :D.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
bruce wayne said:
i still wear felts during summer. i think they are more dressy plus i will wear a felt hat if rain is predicted.
thanx!!!
Charlie

If rain is predicted in the summer I just put on my Poplin Stetson Gable.
2w5sikw.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I'm still looking for just the right straw. My panama's make my head cook...so...felt gets worn most the time, because it's not as hot as the panama...Maybe one pf those Akubra Capricorns...[huh] :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
TopGumby said:
If what I read in "Hatless Jack" is true, straw hat day used to be rather brutally enforced in many US cities, and those unlucky enough to be caught with the wrong hats on after the appointed day would have them knocked off by gangs of street toughs or simple passers by, and the hats would then be destroyed. Sometimes things got pretty violent, as you can imagine.

Whoa! But from I've read on some of the posts here, such rudeness still happens to some of our members from time to time...although hat destroying is gratefully not par for the course. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR