Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styles Other Than Vintage You Like

Alex

Practically Family
Maybe it should be renamed to styles other than the Golden Era. Sorry if there is already a similar thread, but I'd like to know other styles you guys like. Me, I grew up in the 90s-early 2000s, so I like the look of this period.
2510875420_299e76f3d1_b.jpg

Weezer-GreenAlbum_original.jpg

With the band Weezer, you can tell their style is influenced by older styles, as every style is influenced by past generations. I particularly like the generally solid colored, clean looking style they sport.
recently-updated16.jpg

Now I was never a fan of Dawson's Creek, but I like the style he sports here, for some reason.
blink.jpg

For whatever reason, I like the look of the baggy khaki pants and the solid colored slightly baggy shirts. Necklaces for men were also popular at this time. Not sure about Mark's hat though..
1c6115b4ea392d2be7f5fa3c4eec9b95.jpg

Lastly, the seemingly more outrages style I like is demonstrated by this band, At the Drive-in. Not my favorite band in the world, but I have a high respect for the type of music they introduced. They could be categorized as a post-hardcore band. The first post hardcore band and in my opinion, the best. I could go with or without the crazy fros though.

So those are the styles other than Golden Era ones that I like. I like the Golden Era much more, and decided to post this mostly to see what other people are interested in. Sorry about the amount of pictures, but I tried to get my points across as best I could.

Let's see..

Last edited:

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
I like the boho chic styles as well as the skinny jeans w/ heels look. I also love short tube top styles summer dresses, and i love the hair up with big earrings look too
Stylish-Bohemian-Style-Flower-V-Neck-Cotton-Slip-Dress_14.jpg

image002.jpg

although the 40's early 50s looks are my favorite i tend to throw these looks in now and then especially in the summer time.;)

**sorry pics are so big dont know how to make them smaller forgive me.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I love the whole punk aesthetic. Aside from vintage, if i had the cash i would let Vivienne Westwood dress me everyday, from any decade of hers she saw fit. Aside from that everything else makes me shudder a bit.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
50's hep-cat a la Ol' Woogies. I haven't ordered from them yet, but they have some of the best 50's repro clothes I've seen. And I don't mind going a bit mod look every once in a while. Other than that, I'm usually a jeans and a dress shirt guy, unless I'm in a suit, which is genuine 20's thru 40's all the way.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure if I have pictures in mind right now, but there are styles from just about every single decade that I like. I'll try to elaborate on this later.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I like the modern styles that are still classic, but with a bit more flare, as seen in these pics from the Sartorialist.
11411DuoSam_0520Web.jpg

110510Gent_6705Web.jpg

61610Sam_2136Web.jpg

61510PaleJkt_1596Web.jpg

I also like skinny modern suits.
other_doctor.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was always into subcultures so I like some parts of the punk, goth and skinhead style too. I am just rather bored when they wear it like a uniform. they loose the individuality it once stood for.

@Yeps. I quite like the first picture. (bout wouldnt wear waiscoat, sportscoat and jeans myself) Reminds me of http://streetetiquette.com
maybe just because these guys go for pattern/fabric mixing and a layered look too

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Fair comment Mr Flooey, the whole thing about alot of these subcultures was it was about rebellion and not conforming to the norm, so i do get a tad bored too when people look like carbon copies of one another. Style is about mixing it up a little and breaking the rules a bit i think.

My uncle was a mod in the sixties complete with the leopard seat cover on the scooter and the tonic suit and winklepickers, so i have a certain fondness for that kind of look i have to say.

My dad is much more classic english gent, but he always throws a pair of subversive socks on with his classic suit or some little interesting accessory for example, which gets me every time!

Edward

Bartender
The 70's skinhead look is pretty sweet.

chelsea_skinhead.jpg

It's a look for which I really did not care for a long time, the result of having first become aware of it after the early Eighties saw it taken over by the far right, National Front types in the UK. A shame, as now I'm older and understand more its roots and so it, I agree, it really is a very strong look. Perhaps the last of the strong, English (in the main) youth-cult looks to evolve out of the working class itself, rather than as a creation of the art set (a la punk rock...?)? Some of my casual looks veer towards it, I suppose. Wider, cuffed jeans for me, but I have about five different harrington-style jackets (for me they're a rockabilly thing, but as they've been around since Baracuta brought out the original G9 in 1937, they've been adopted and worn by many different groups and tribes in the last seventy four odd years). I very occasionally do get taken for a skinhead when in a harrington and denims. Any true skin would spot me a mile away as not one of them, but I can see how the average person comes to that conclusion as I do shave my head.

I love the 70's Punk look too! Especially THE CLASH!

There were two very strong design schools (for want of a better way of putting it) came out of the English scene. One was Vivienne Westwood's bondage look (her Seditionaries collection in particular), the other was the bondage wear and other bits designed by Caroline Coons for the Clash. The latter was certainly influenced by the zips-and-bondage look of Westwood's designs, but with a more 'combat'-oriented, militaristic vibe to it. The difference in typical bondage trousers of each is quite pronounced, for instance. Both superb looks; I used to dress like that a lot socially. Sold all my bondage trousers a few years ago as I'd gotten just too big for them (the money went into a B3 in the end...). Not so much chance to qwear anything like that these days either, but I still love the look. I also have always adored the Ramones' "Uniform", as 'designed' by Johnny Ramone - the Perfecto / drainpipe jeans / t shirt & canvas sneakers... superb, iconic look that heavily influenced my wardrobe for a very long time. I still have a lot of bits from those days, and all my military dress jackets with varying pins and other such additions. They'll come out of the wardrobe at some point, no doubt....

I also like skinny modern suits.
other_doctor.jpg

Yes, I do love Tennant's Who suits, really strong look again. I do wish they'd paired them with a nice pair of saddle shoes instead of the Converse, but hey ho... I especially liked the 'second' suit he had, the mid-blue one cut to the same style. It appeared to be cotton or heavy linen, to my eye. Tempted to have something inspired by that run up for Summer wear myself - I'd go for a more late Forties, wide legged and lapelled reinterpretation, though. I believe the Tennant suits were heavily inspired by Sixties tailoring, which was just starting to come round into fashion again over here as his doctor was launched.

I was always into subcultures so I like some parts of the punk, goth and skinhead style too. I am just rather bored when they wear it like a uniform. they loose the individuality it once stood for.

Have you ever seen the clip of Johnny Rotten talking about this? He uses the same 'uniform' term, and delivers the punchline "Be a punk. join the Army", dripping with the sheer venom that only he can deliver.

I'm quite a fan of the goth look myself, too - I still have the black lippy on hand, though it doesn't get worn much at all anymore; typically, I limit myself to a splash of mascara these days. I did wear nail varnish on a regular basis for many years, though (still would if a sufficiently dandified look is called for), and I still have a collection of some fifty bottles or so. For a long time I did keep my toenails painted at all times; I must go back to that...

Flat Foot Floey

Yeah I like harrington jackets too. Didnt knew the style is so old. Did wear it almost all year some time ago. I am happy to own a 40s overcoat now because the harringtons are to short to keep warm.
The traditional skinhead style is what I meant. They look rather smart and mix good with the mod crowd on northern soul nighters. I somehow dont dig the mod look itself so much. stupid hair and some silly suits (only speaking for my taste)

About punk...oh it feels kinda silly to complain "it used to be better" but yes.

Edward

Bartender
My biggest problem with the mod suits is that if you aren't built like David Tennant (I've met him, and he's much shorter in real life than you'd expect - and shockingly skinny), they have a tendency to look ridiculous. Same reason I had to give up drainpipe jeans....

What's hammered the punk look in recent years has been that (much like anything else, really) capitalism and commodification came along, with the result that all too many kids dress out of 'one-stop punk rock shops', more akin to buying a costume than putting together a look. I suppose that happens in a lot of subcultures.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I like the generic "rock 'n' roll" kinda "style", like this:
12-slash-600x400.jpg

Come to think of it, I usually just wear a leather jacket or this cool cropped trench-coat that I got from Topman together with a shirt/T-shirt and jeans (Slim/Skinny-fit).

Here's the trench-coat:
64f05ablk_normal.jpg

And here's the leather jacket
commando_blk_men_2-360x600.jpg

So basically, there are only two styles that I actually really like.
It's the rock 'n' roll style that's the "everyday-me" and Cary Grant/Clarke Gable's style back in the days.

grant.jpg
05_CaryGrant.jpg

ClarkGable.jpg

Clark+Gable.jpg

50496141.jpg

kinopoisk.ru-Clark-Gable-393836.jpg

To me, there was Clark Gable & Cary Grant, then there was everybody else :D

And also, I like my suits to be form-fitted, so I generally go for the Italian type suits, like Corneliani & Zegna.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Like them? I've tried them all!! Prep, jock, nerd, punk, goth, new wave, grunge, greaser.....Each one has had their time and place,served their purpose and been enjoyed. Now...as a business man and shop owner it's a combo of Jeans and t-shirt for the messy stuff and slacks and dress-shirts for the office.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Come to think of it, I actually liked Gordon Gekko's style in the Wall Street film, after I had seen it last night. I mean, 1980s fashion can be wildly awful, but I thought he looked pretty cool, although certainly uptight and not one to be trifled with.

michaeldouglaswallstreetcolor.JPG

michael-douglas-on-gordon-gekko.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

I foegot to mention: I like striped wool sweaters in the winter and striped T-shirts in the summer. Black/white, blue/white, red/white and black/red are the best ones...

The look is quite versatile. From punkrock to vintage street thug or sailorman...I wear it with cuffed dark jeans, sailor pants or even slacks.

vlcsnap2011011517h50m59.png

Screenshot from the Mae West flick "Belle of the nineties" (1934)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace