Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suddenly, I'm seeing hats everywhere!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
This is the Hat center of the universe this week. Derby time brings out the hat's of coarse the women's hat's are out there a lot. Yesterday I was pasted by a women in a convertable with a fascinator on it must have been attached very tightly as the feathers where flying.:)

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Dateline Kharkiv,Ukraine, posting from my Kindle for the first time. Saw an older gent wearing a battered porkpie and one guy on a bus with a straw trilby. Hats are scarce here. Wore my blue trilby today. Cheers!

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
I was in NYC and Philly last week and fedoras were everywhere. Unfortunately they were the narrow brim $20 cheapies they sell on every street corner there. Mostly straw.

I did see a handful of quality fedoras and several were on ladies. Women apparently are not afraid to pay for quality, unlike some men.

And the horse carriage drivers in Central Park all had on silk top hats, some looked pretty good, some were old and were really showing their age.

I almost bought a nice brown Stetson Homburg at a vintage clothing shop in Philly but my wife didn't really like it on me. In retrospect I should have bought it. I think he wanted $80. He had about 20 hats but that was the only one that fit me.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
A friend of mine recently bought his first fur fedora. It's a stingy Cavanagh, but looks good on him. The two of us walked out to track in our hats, what a great sight it must have been.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Lots of "fedoras" around San Francisco. Mostly the cut and sew fabric ones and wool stingies, but hats are definitely "in" as an accessory.
Come to think of it, Jlee, I do see lots of those cloth stingy brims around, I just never thought of them as actual fedoras. But when I adjust my thinking, there are indeed lots of hthem around.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Yesterday coming home from work. Saw a guy in his early 20's wearing a Walmart special with a black t-shirt and bright blue shorts with white flowers on them that were a few sizes too big. I threw up a little in my mouth. *yucky* At least the shorts weren't hanging around his knees though. Maybe that fad is passing.
:eeek:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday coming home from work. Saw a guy in his early 20's wearing a Walmart special with a black t-shirt and bright blue shorts with white flowers on them that were a few sizes too big. I threw up a little in my mouth. *yucky* At least the shorts weren't hanging around his knees though. Maybe that fad is passing.
:eeek:
The shorts around the knees isn't a fad, it's a badge of what they consider honor. It's to show solidarity with those who have been arrested/done time in prison, where they aren't allowed to wear belts. Unfortunately that fashion statement is here to stay, among certain segments of society.

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
Visited a few days ago the local "Dillard's," the good department store in this region. The Men's department was thickly decorated with modern stingy's. Lots and lots of them! I certainly expect to see young people wearing these type hats en masse. There maybe a long term trend towards people of all ages wearing fedoras of all types. I am not really comfortable with that. I would not like to find myself appearing to have jumped on some fashion band wagon.

TipTop

Practically Family
I see three fedoras almost daily here at Montana State. There's, "Hawaiian shirt and modern stetson guy", "corduroy fedora man" and "Borsalino with three-piece suit music professor".

So far today I've seen the first two, and Hawaiian shirt has switched over to a straw. I also saw one of those plasticly, pinstriped variety on a young woman leaving a bar last night.

Hey Anders, I'm sitting in Red Lion Inn, Missoula and headed for Kalispell this afternoon. You can look for my golden-colored gambler as seen in What are you wearing Today--yesterday--Friday.

As for this thread, I was surprised at how few hats I saw traveling yesterday: Albany, Dulles/DC, St. Louis, Denver and here. Only one cheesy black straw western (over a worse black leather full length coat), but a couple of nice Panamas around Dulles. Of course, as we all know traveling with them can be a hassle, so maybe my airport sampling isn't a valid one.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
When you see all the kids today with the Wally World hats, both men and women, take heart-don't be discouraged. Have you ever watched a child at the beach test the water with their toe first. That's the way the world works--some dive in while some go back and sit on the beach till another day. Let's encourage the one's who stay at the water edge to wade a little deeper.

HatsWV

New in Town
When you see all the kids today with the Wally World hats, both men and women, take heart-don't be discouraged. Have you ever watched a child at the beach test the water with their toe first. That's the way the world works--some dive in while some go back and sit on the beach till another day. Let's encourage the one's who stay at the water edge to wade a little deeper.

This is how it was for me when I started wearing caps. I've went from deliberately trying to find the cheapest to being highly selective of my hat purchases.

MCrider

A-List Customer

Personally I don't mind the cheapo cloth hats for the very reason you point out. It's the shorts with the hat I'm object to! LOL

Oldsarge

One Too Many
It just takes time. Don't you remember being young? When my nephew started getting serious about clothing I got him a mid-grade panama. Now that he has been accepted into Stagecraft College in Las Vegas, when his birthday rolls 'round again I'll get him a grey Akubra Stylemaster. Chappie is turning into a serious dude.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I agree. I wear certain felts with cargo shorts (and often a safari shirt) in the hot weather, and I'm still several steps above the usual sweat-suit-, or sports-team-garb-wearing gents around here. I'm not criticizing those guys. Just making a point.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Over here I see panamas in every single clothes stores in France and more and more people wearing hats. I tend to pay more attention to those since i bought my Federation IV a couple weeks ago. I have no idea if it is the same abroad though or if this is a regular trend each year.

I am still having difficulties wearing my first hat in public but I am trying to get use to it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Over here I see panamas in every single clothes stores in France and more and more people wearing hats. I tend to pay more attention to those since i bought my Federation IV a couple weeks ago. I have no idea if it is the same abroad though or if this is a regular trend each year.

I am still having difficulties wearing my first hat in public but I am trying to get use to it.

Just wear it. Really! Now I can hardly imagine leaving the house without a hat on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana