Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestion for a new vintage repro/inspired Clothing Line?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I agree about the petites as I am only 5'- dresses never fit in the way they are intended. Also, more separates- cute skirts and tops! Also, would love more in the outdoor category, come cool jodhpurs!!! Wool jackets that type of thing.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Cotton sundresses and day dresses and skirts, please. In a few prints besides polka dots would be wonderful.

Florals generally and fruit prints that aren't cherries would be so fun. I mean I like polka dots and cherries... but... yeah.

Little bolero jackets I can mix and match with different day dresses or with seperates would also be really, really nice.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Good quality fabric?

I'm curious, what do most people consider to be "Good quality" fabric? Is it simply the quality overall, or specifics fibers, weaves, or something else?

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I just dont like the stretchy spandexy stuff that stop staring dresses are made out of. I like cotton the best.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
dakotanorth said:
I'm curious, what do most people consider to be "Good quality" fabric? Is it simply the quality overall, or specifics fibers, weaves, or something else?

Most modern womens clothes compensate for cut/fit by giving the fabric a 2-5% spandex blend.

Go to any women's store.

Really.

Its evil.

I think the gals are looking for 100% cottons, or linens, or wools, or rayon, etc. Or cotton/linen (my favorite) blends. Yes, that one is awesome. Do that yay!

LD

KittenHasCurves

New in Town
I agree with everyone before me about the fabrics! As I've gotten a little older and wiser I've really started to hate all this stinky, shiny poly crap and am willing to spend a little more on wool, cashmere and silk. Heck, even high quality cotton would make me willing to buy.

I very much agree with the limits on cherrys, dots and the like. I like to dress more retro-inspired and I want something thats pretty accurate, but I dont want to look costumey or outfitty, and I think you can find plenty of vintage patterns that dont look "cliche".

Right now with the weather being so cold here, Im thinking some good options for winter weather would be great. Its pretty easy to find summer stuff, but nice vintage style coats, hats, gloves, stockings, thick woolen dresses and trousers, would all be fantastic.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Fabrics.

Ok, yes spandex is a "buffer" for sizing and fit. I didn't realize it was that widespread in the garment industry.

For everyone else trying to avoid certain patterns, what, you don't like the red and black cherries with naked chicks that have flaming skulls riding a hot rod that's on fire with machine guns and beer everywhere? What's wrong with you?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have to say, I think overall my #1 pick for fabric is wool flannel. It's easy to work with, looks great, hangs well, drapes well, is SO nice in colder weather.

Once again, I need to photo some of the stuff I've made, including the women's high-waisted pants in ORANGE gab.....

Trixie

One of the Regulars
dakotanorth said:
Ok, yes spandex is a "buffer" for sizing and fit. I didn't realize it was that widespread in the garment industry.

For everyone else trying to avoid certain patterns, what, you don't like the red and black cherries with naked chicks that have flaming skulls riding a hot rod that's on fire with machine guns and beer everywhere? What's wrong with you?

I have to say, I think overall my #1 pick for fabric is wool flannel. It's easy to work with, looks great, hangs well, drapes well, is SO nice in colder weather.

Once again, I need to photo some of the stuff I've made, including the women's high-waisted pants in ORANGE gab.....

Yes please post photos!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
dakotanorth said:

You left out the giant tumbling dice. That's what really makes the outfit.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Shirt said:
I wanted to pipe in - that I generally am attracted to the details of vintage pieces. Interesting collars, buttons, bustlines, scalloping, embroidery. This is what drives me to look at Anthropologie vs. Stop Staring. I am 35 and cannot carry off cherries and polkadots all the time, nor do I want to. I am a bit beyond my rockabilly days but still love vintage looking items. I think there is a lack of sophisticated looks (primarily lack of daywear). I agree with what has been said about fabrics as well.

As for specifics - I would love to see some cute 40s - 50s suit with interchangable skirts/pants. As well as blouses, I never have much luck finding lovely condition vintage and tend to buy modern ones to fill the gap.
Vintage/repro shoes seem to knock the girls out here as well.

Good luck to your friend - hope to see her stuff soon.

Ditto what The Shirt said. :eusa_clap At my age, I can't wear a cute cherry print dress to work. It's just not correct and would look silly.

Plain colors with details are good, and I'd also like there to be a little give to the dress, as I gain and lose 5 pounds each month during that special time.

Simple white cotton blouses in a variety of styles and shirt lengths would be appealing. I have some cool blouses that I will probably sell or give away on one of my contests, because I can't wear the 1950's nylon blouses. When I wear them, I sweat like crazy - it's like being in a hothouse. As an aside, you could make a basic plain white foundation blouse, and than charge extra for piping, etc. I would love the choice of styles depending on my budget during the year.

VB

volatile

A-List Customer
I'm always looking for gifts for my girlfriend, and she too hates all these polyester things from Stop Staring et al.

If your friend took up even half the advice and ideas on this thread, she'd make a packet and make lots of girls (and even boys) really happy! Why has no-one filled these gaps before? It seems like such an obvious little business, especially given that there are so many patterns for all the things mentioned here to be had on Ebay etc.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
Another ditto for pdxvintagette's great post, especially the point about nice fabric.

I'd love to see a broad size range too, although I know that can be difficult for startups. I think there's a market for vintage repros in the 18/20 22/24 size range that isn't really being addressed right now.

Agreed! Not everyone has a 24 inch waist!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone said affordable but good quality high waist sailor trousers? I can't find a good pair to save my life and I'm a pretty standard size. They always go way beyond my budget on the Bay.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Oh yes, ditto to Pink Dahlia! Nice sailor pants!
Ditto also to the good quality fabrics in trousers and daywear. Cute cotton blouses would make many of us happy, I dare say.
I am in love with gloves and would love to see some (in sizes). They can be difficult to find sometimes.

Also, whoever brought up playsuits, great idea!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Vivien of Holloway has sailor pants, but the weak dollar/strong pound means they'd probably be quite expensive. All the ideas above are great, I think. I can't wait to see your friend's range!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Like LizzieMaine I would love to see some repro 40's basic/everyday coats that don't cost an arm and leg like the fancy repros I see most often, yet are well-made with real wool and neat details.

Also some daytime cotton or linen blouses- I hate sewing basics like blouses, so that'd be something I would definitely have an interest in buying. I think Vintage Betty's suggestion of a basic blouse with optional add-ons/modifications would be fantastic. Stuff like piping, pintucks, different collar styles, yoke/no yoke, etc. Perhaps also allow some way for them to be fitted after ordering either as an add-on, or by the person/their tailor upon arrival, for those with larger bust-waist proportions that do not always play nice with button-down stuff.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
What everyone else said! I would love some easy to care for day dresses. And some high-waisted jeans that were more straight-legged than wide-legged (don't know how vintage that is though). I'm pretty short and I think wide-legged jeans make me look even shorter.

Blouses would be LOVELY too, as I wear jeans more often than I wear dresses. I also have a lot of great skirts, but not enough tops to wear with them. I can find a lot of blouses that are passably vintage-esque, but ones that are modeled on the real thing are even better.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto on nearly everything.

But my two cents on cost...

If you want a vintage repro chances are the company will be a small one since demand from the public, with the exception of temporary trends, doesn't demand these styles. Keep in mind that the companies are most likely US based and since they have small minimums will be produced in the United States. And with that in mind, please remember that seamstresses need to be paid their worth. With a dress with mimimum styling taking 4+ hours to make, add slippery fabric and detailings to that and you can tack on another few hours. Add fabric, even at $2 a yard and your costing for the garment to California Minimum Wage standards is $56, and that's without notions, advertising, packaging, and any income for the company. That's paying the seamstresses MINIMUM WAGE, and that's what they usually do for a living. Lowering cost may be capable for larger companies or people with higher minimums, but for a start up company who's option isn't outsourcing to companies that pay their people nothing for construction and the owners have no control over conditions of the workers or quality control it's something to think about.

If you want inexpensive it's best to either make your own or buy vintage. That way you can ensure the people making your clothing and the designers won't be using poor labor standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner