Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions please

SheBear74

Practically Family
My husband and I are going to do some photography work at a military ball. We will be taking portrait pictures of the couples. My husband is going to wear black dress pants, shirt and tie. I have this dress but I am not sure if I should wear this or dress a bit more business? Like maybe a white button up shirt with a dark gathered skirt/dress pants and some heels?

IMG_7539A.jpg

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I think the white shirt and skirt is a good choice. The dress is pretty but a bit informal, in my opinion, for a military ball.

lareine

A-List Customer
Are you going there to work? Then I like your shirt and pants idea. It means you won't get mixed up with the guests and they will know you are there to work (or support your husband if he is the actual worker) and won't distract you or think they can join in and "help" too, as if everybody is doing it.

Drappa

One Too Many
I am not sure about the US, but military balls in the UK have a strict dresscodes, even for non-military spouses. Although not everyone follows the rules, dresses have to be tea length or full length and shoulders covered. I agree that the dress you pictured is lovely, but too informal. Maybe you can add a jacket? Or a pencil skirt, blouse and jacket?

SheBear74

Practically Family
Thanks!!! I will go with more of a business look. My husband will be taking the pictures but I help with answering questions and posing people. The only dress code they gave us was for my husband to wear dress pants and tie. Thanks again for the help! :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The dress is very cute, but most of the military balls I have seen/been to are pretty formal - dress uniforms, floor length dresses, etc. I also like the idea of dressing more business/worker-like, so nobody confuses you as a guest.

You might send a PM to Grant Fan - I believe her fiance is in the Navy, and she recently attended a Naval Ball. She'd be a great source of information!

SheBear74

Practically Family
How about this? I made this skirt today. I could also pair it with a white button up shirt.
401007_3286831616431_1436903181_3316633_707696360_n.jpg

420327_3286824296248_1436903181_3316631_2085851112_n.jpg

Drappa

One Too Many
My husband is a Naval officer and I just showed him the pics. He says don't wear a ball gown if you're not officially attending but rather working. He also thinks the two outfits poated aren't quite formal enough and suggests a suit (pant or trouser suit).

SheBear74

Practically Family
Hmm that may be a delema. I don't have a pant suit. I can either do the skirt or dress pants but I don't own suit jackets to match. I know my husband isn't wearing a jacket he is wearing dress pants, dress shirt and tie. Please tell your husband thanks for the info!

SheBear74

Practically Family
I don't know if it makes any difference as far as formality but it's a retired military ball. I did double check and the gentleman that is the contact told my husband basically not to wear a t-shirt and that he should wear a tie.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Thanks for the help. :) I will go with that skirt and maybe a button up shirt instead of the frilly one. This is Florida so sweaters and jackets don't always work. That and I can just see myself wearing the jacket or sweater there but taking it off to work. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy