Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sun protection in the golden age

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
Woman on duty as an enemy aircraft spotter near London 1943.

HU033478.jpg

No way!!!! She was looking for Cary Granite.....[bad]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
No way!!!! She was looking for Cary Granite.....[bad]

No need of binoculars to look for Cary! ~~~ Our Cary is everywhere, isn't he, impossible to miss him! lol :p

retrogirl here is another picture of an unknown couple, may be circa late 30s or early 40s.
82174231.jpg

Tikismall

New in Town
Tomasso said:

*Kinda off topic*
Barbara was wearing a wig in the film, I was watching "Double Indemnity" on television one evening and they had trivia facts at the bottom of the screen.
One of the mentions was her wig and how she "was determined to wear it" for her role as phyllis.

And from what I also remember, Billy hated it! lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
These sunglasses were ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service) issue, not personal. More or less the same as the Army issue men's ones, but certainly they weren't standard issue to all in the service. Perhaps just if they thought you needed them.

HadleyH said:
Woman on duty as an enemy aircraft spotter near London 1943.

HU033478.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
These sunglasses were ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service) issue, not personal. More or less the same as the Army issue men's ones, but certainly they weren't standard issue to all in the service. Perhaps just if they thought you needed them.

Oh yes! they were meant to be safety sunglasses..... this was just an example. But with such an amazing shape, they had to become "personal" as you say, or rather the style become mainstream at some point, and they did. Here, in this photo from the "Vintage Sunglasses" thread, the man is wearing similar shades.

I have seen many variations on that shape of 1930s and 1940s sunglasses for men and women.

untitled-11.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Sis said:

While military issue articles may have been used for official purposes during wartime.
AOWWIi1944AdFindKeepaJobWinWar.jpg

However, military issue became popularized when worn by celebrities and other well know figures.

Companies like Ray-Ban were manufacturing and selling to the military. For example, "The Aviator" became a well-known style of sunglasses when General Douglas MacArthur landed on the beach in the Philippines in World War II. Photographers snapped several pictures of him wearing them for newspapers, and Americans instantly fell in love with them.

Further, The aviator was created by Ray Ban in 1936. It's design is actually taken from the goggle the pilots use. These sunglasses had anti-glare technology and the design was good for pilots. The lens design bulge out slightly and the lens were big to cover sunlight from all sides.The glasses were largely used by pilots before the 1960's.

The Ray-Ban Aviator has become one of the most copied styles in history.

800px-RayBanAviator.jpg

jayem

A-List Customer
Sunglasses stem as far back as the 17th century. Marie Antoinette was said to wear them only in extreme times, but they were considered quite unfashionable by the French. The British, however, adored them and the trend of wearing the green-shaded lenses was brought on by Georgiana the Duchess of Devonshire.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Your avatar.

jayem, I'm guessing that you're somewhere between Fullerton and North Avenue.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Oh yes! they were meant to be safety sunglasses..... this was just an example. But with such an amazing shape, they had to become "personal" as you say, or rather the style become mainstream at some point, and they did. Here, in this photo from the "Vintage Sunglasses" thread, the man is wearing similar shades.

I have seen many variations on that shape of 1930s and 1940s sunglasses for men and women.

untitled-11.jpg

wow! I want the pair of sunglasses that the woman is wearing! How different are those!

Samantha

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
You beat Tomasso to it, Carlisle Blues. :)

Johnny Depp in authentic frames.

2009jun17_cu_public-enemies_still5.jpg

Wow, my shades look *just* like those! I couldn't afford to replace the lenses back when i got my current glasses, so they still have my old prescription. Very old; i think it's from when i got them at 18. Might be the only thing i thought was stylish at 18 that i still think that of ;). Anyhow, as such, they're clearly not much use, but i am seriously considering bringing them along on my next new glasses trip (i'm afraid it's coming up quickly!).

Schreck

New in Town
Hello,
this is my first post rply on this forum - I found my home. OK - about sunglasses - I think that, I could recommend a French brand of sunglasses - JULBO - one of the oldest - since 1888. There is a one model for mountain hikers - looks very vintage with attachable leather side shields.

Greetings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner