Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sun protection in the golden age

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Does anyone here have any information on how common sunglasses were during the 1920-1940s? I have seen ad's for sunglasses but, I have not seen photos taken in places besides beaches that people are wearing sunglasses. And what about sunscreen? When did that come into popular usage?
Any answers would be great!

Samantha

djhatman

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Great to see people using Random History. The site is owned and ran by a good friend of mine.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Bogart wears sunglasses in The Big Sleep which is late 40s although he wears them more for disguise than for sun protection. And if I remember correctly I saw a picture of Al Capone wearing sunglasses, which would probably be mid to late 20s.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
retrogirl1941 said:
Does anyone here have any information on how common sunglasses were during the 1920-1940s? I have seen ad's for sunglasses but, I have not seen photos taken in places besides beaches that people are wearing sunglasses.

Samantha

Everybody wore sunglasses in the 20s and 30s. Here is a photo of Bette Davis (not at the beach) circa 1935.

PwCIEKd8Nk3t4xpaiTySO1h2o1_500.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Barbara Stanwyck wore shades in Double Indemnity. She was meeting her boyfriend at the grocery store incognito. The odd thing was that the arms of the glasses were outside her hair.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Barbara Stanwyck wore shades in Double Indemnity. She was meeting her boyfriend at the grocery store incognito. The odd thing was that the arms of the glasses were outside her hair.

I never noticed that before! Hah! I wonder why? Think the glasses are beautiful, though.

doubleindem.jpg

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Wow! Thanks for all the great info and pictures everyone! So heres my other question, since everyone has highlighted movie stars for their statement of sunglasses were worn in everyday situations; what about the ordianry man and women?
I collect pictures from the golden age of random everyday people and have yet to see people with sunglasses again with the excpetion of beach activities and the like. Maybe people took their sunglasses off to get pictures taken? It would make sense because of the num,ber of photos I see that people are doing the "florida squint".Unlike today, when people get pictures taken most dont take off their sunglasses.

Samantha

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The first glasses made to protect the eyes from the glare of the sun were invented in 1929 by Sam Foster. The Foster Grant company started to produce sunglasses for retail in 1930.

CLAS007768.jpg

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
The first glasses made to protect the eyes from the glare of the sun were invented in 1929 by Sam Foster. The Foster Grant company started to produce sunglasses for retail in 1930.

CLAS007768.jpg

I would have thought they would have been made earlier than that. Being as there is dochumentation that sunglasses have been around since the 18th century.

Samantha

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Edith Head, the custome designer, wore sunglasses practically 24/7 from the 1920s onwards. She was in the film biz, but behind the camera.

Sorry, I have never been able to master the posting of pics in the Lounge so won't even try, but I'm sure someone can track one down.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
retrogirl1941 said:
I would have thought they would have been made earlier than that. Being as there is dochumentation that sunglasses have been around since the 18th century.

Samantha

I agree .... this is just a promo from Foster Grant I believe...[huh]

shortbow

Practically Family
Absolutely. One of the frequently encountered items on trade lists taken to the mountains by the fur trade companies in the early 19th century was shades of various types. If you've every had snow blindness, you can guess why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner