Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suspender button pants

drjones

A-List Customer
Im having a heck of a time finding pants that I can put suspenders on. Ideally, I want to find some vintage ones. Barring that, Ill find a nice pair of slacks and have some friends sew in the buttons. Suggestions? ideas?

All comments welcome.

DRJONES

Bugsy

One Too Many
I've always found that one can have buttons for braces put on almost any pair of trousers. Either have the tailor who has fitted you add them, or take them your local dry cleaner that has an alteration service. It's rare that I buy trousers without having the buttons added.
Keep us posted.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
I have quite a few khakis, chinos, and other "dress" trousers that I've taken to the tailor to add suspender buttons to.

Just make sure the rise of the pants is higher than your "normal" waist, and that there is an equivalent surplus in length, since the proper way to wear brace trousers is higher than the modern belted waist.

For that reason, I've had the belt loops removed from all of those pants. Unless you have the belt cinched above your normal waist anyway, IMO the belt loops serve no purpose.

kiltie

Practically Family
Gotta go with Corky on this one. I don't know what the proper way to sew a button on is, but I'll be *@#&'d if the little b*stards I've sewn on are coming off. I've been sewing the bejabbers outta suspender buttons since highschool, when it never would have occured to me to take them somewhere. Honestly - it's almost as manly as doing your own brakes, if not a little more frustrating ;) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass