Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders or belts?

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I would prefer suspenders but there are times when they wont do. Suspenders with a Polo shirt looks dweeby so belt it is. I prefer them anytime they will be covered by a Jacket or vest.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nick Charles said:
Suspenders with a Polo shirt looks dweeby so belt it is.

urkel6he.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
When wearing formal wear and using a cummerbund can you use suspenders or a belt?

Unless you have one of those rental tux jobs with side clips at the waist, it's essential to wear suspenders with tuxedo trousers in all circumstances. In fact, classic tux trousers don't even have belt loops.

moustache

Practically Family
Remember

when during "Once apon a time in the west",Henry Fonda shoots a guy and notices he is wearing both suspenders and a belt.He says"never trust a man who cannot trust his own pants".

Love that line!!!

JD

manton

A-List Customer
Suspenders, IF the trousers are cut for them. More comfortable to wear, result in a better hang of the front and back creases.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Unless you have one of those rental tux jobs with side clips at the waist, it's essential to wear suspenders with tuxedo trousers in all circumstances. In fact, classic tux trousers don't even have belt loops.

Strangely, I've seen belt loops on all of the tuxes I have happened upon. My 20's Kuppenheimer has belt loops, a 40's tux had them, too.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I normally prefer suspenders. However, my office's culture is such that most guys take their jackets off while sitting at their desks, and I feel self-conscious wearing suspenders without a jacket. So I often wear belts on the days when I don't feel like sticking out.

To those who just can't resist.

I have several dress pants that i have had suspender buttons put into so i can wear them with suspenders I'd like to wear to work. I also have foreign fatigue pants that have suspender buttons and like to wear them when the weather is cool and there is yard work to do.

What drives me nuts is that I am surrounded by juvenile cretons that can't resist grabbing the suspender to snap them on my back. And you know, if i cut their head off and put it on a pike out front, i'd be the one that went to jail. Sometimes life is so unfair.:rage:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
... if i cut their head off and put it on a pike out front, i'd be the one that went to jail. Sometimes life is so unfair.:rage:

You must do what they did with Oliver Cromwell: wait 'til the cretin is dead, then disinter the corpse and make off with the head.
Leave it stuck on a pike until it falls off. :eusa_clap

jml90

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
What drives me nuts is that I am surrounded by juvenile cretons that can't resist grabbing the suspender to snap them on my back. And you know, if i cut their head off and put it on a pike out front, i'd be the one that went to jail. Sometimes life is so unfair.:rage:
I know the type quite well, I'm afraid :mad: :rage:

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
When wearing formal wear and using a cummerbund can you use suspenders or a belt?
==================== End of quote ======================

You're referring to semi-formal (black tie), right?

Sounds like it's one of those situations no one else will really be aware or perhaps even care whether you're wearing suspenders, belt or just side-adjustable pants.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I have several dress pants that i have had suspender buttons put into so i can wear them with suspenders I'd like to wear to work. I also have foreign fatigue pants that have suspender buttons and like to wear them when the weather is cool and there is yard work to do.

==================== End of quote =======================

I would luv my suspenders grabb'd n snapp'd by one of those luvly creatures from Venus.

Normally, I would wear suspenders only with formal (Morning Dress, White Tie), semi-formal (Stroller, Black Tie) or business formal (3-piece lounge suit).

Yes, suspenders look appropriate with those farmer/work pants. I wonder whether it is appropriate to use suspender belts with seersucker suits.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Happy Stroller said:
I wonder whether it is appropriate to use suspender belts with seersucker suits.

Either suspenders or a belt would be proper wear with a SS suit.

vintage68

Practically Family
Nicholas Antongiavanni in his new book The Suit ( a must for anyone who frequents this website) said it best, " There has never been, then, a well-dressed man who has not worn suspenders; on the contrary, he has always worn them...belts are everywhere inoffensive but always uncomfortable".

'Nuff said.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rather than start a new thread.

What do I match suspenders (the straps) to? The trouser? The shirt? Some kind of contrast?

I now have several pair of trou with buttons but not a set of braces in sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy