Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors in Melbourne & Sydney

splatt

One of the Regulars
Ok...the hunt for vintage suits that i like is not progressing in a good direction at all, and i think I'm over the look of the modern suit as well, so i figure its time to look at getting something either tailored or bespoke made to my exact requirements...when i work out what they are of course :eusa_doh:

I actually drive past two tailor shops in Collingwood / Fitzroy everyday..one is on Johnston Street and is called "Pinnacle Clothing" and the other is on Smith Street and is called "Tony the Tailor". By the age and style of their shops they both look like they might have been making suits since the 1940's, and i just can't shake the idea out of my head that "Tony the Tailor" is a front for a mafia hangout ;)

So i turn to you, my fellow loungers, in the hope that you can pass on your knowledge of tailors both good and bad in Melbourne and Sydney.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Good thread! I tend to use Travellers Apparel at 79 Wellington St, Collingwood who are excellent. Very reasonably priced for tailor made and good range of cloth. Salvatore, the head tailor is excellent and has an eye for detail. The only problem is getting him to do a really 40's style. Always ends up a little modern. Good for work wear. I had him do a few pairs of tweed wool pants for weekend wear - really excellent.

splatt

One of the Regulars
Godfrey said:
Good thread! I tend to use Travellers Apparel at 79 Wellington St, Collingwood who are excellent. Very reasonably priced for tailor made and good range of cloth. Salvatore, the head tailor is excellent and has an eye for detail. The only problem is getting him to do a really 40's style. Always ends up a little modern. Good for work wear. I had him do a few pairs of tweed wool pants for weekend wear - really excellent.

Well there you go...i drive past this one everyday as well Godfrey and I never really took any notice of it :eusa_doh:

Do they actually bespoke tailor or do they do made-to measure stuff? I get the impression from the site that it's more bespoke (which is what i'm personally looking for) but its hard to tell [huh]

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Bespoke. I took a leaf out of a Classic Style Mag in my last visit and discussed arm hole positions and sorted out a good fit in that department. Also getting a waistcoat with a few useful pockets. Next suit will be a summer half lined with a few additions for cycling - I came across Dashing Tweeds and like the look of the inbuilt cycling tab and button.

Double-Yellowdetail1.jpg

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
ydney Tailor

Try Zink & Sons on Oxford St in Sydney. While I have never used them I have a mate who has and he swears by them. The suit pic they have on their website - www.zinkandsons.com.au/suits.html - looks great and very vintage. They have been around since 1895 so could be an excellent source for an authentic vintage style suit.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Peter

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Godfrey said:

You wouldn't happen to know if he could tackle a Zoot Suit would you? My Mr. has the kind of build that cries out for this sort of OTT tailoring and he is too lazy to organise it for himself. Last time he was in Thailand I did everything but drive him to the tailor, fabric samples, the works, ( I was back in Melb), and still nothing! So I need to find someone in Melbourne who I can hand him to personally. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a friend who's been using J.H.Cutler in Sydney for around thirty years and he thinks that they're as good as any tailor around. His stuff looks good to my eye.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
3PieceSuitGuy said:
Try Zink & Sons on Oxford St in Sydney. While I have never used them I have a mate who has and he swears by them. The suit pic they have on their website - www.zinkandsons.com.au/suits.html - looks great and very vintage. They have been around since 1895 so could be an excellent source for an authentic vintage style suit.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for that link. I have been past that shop a million times what with the Art Deco shop sign etc but had no idea it was still the same family...

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Report on Travellers

After three fittings and the like I have my bespoke new suit from Travellers in Collingwood (Vic).

So here are the spec's - Jacket - three button, Waistcoat, 2 pants (cut high). 100% wool

Salvatore the main tailor was excellent - very attentive and a great at determining the best fit. I wanted a pretty close fit on the jacket and he has got it just right. Tight without being constricting. Couldn't be happier.

Photos below - and yes I am still determining the best head gear to go with it!

LordBest

Practically Family
That suit looks excellent, is it truly bespoke? I do not mean to doubt your word, but to clarify, you had complete input into design, features, cloth etc?

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
LordBest said:
That suit looks excellent, is it truly bespoke? I do not mean to doubt your word, but to clarify, you had complete input into design, features, cloth etc?

Correct on all counts. Salvatore was great giving as much advice as direction received.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff