Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Take the "Time Travel Challenge!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
After January 1, 1937, you were required to have a Social Security card to have any non-government job that paid a wage -- granted, there were plenty of cash-under-the-table farm/common laborer positions one could get if one was inclined and physically capable, but anything higher up the ladder would have required one to establish one's bona fides. Employers were required to keep careful account of their employee's Social Security deductions, and if you couldn't show a card, you had to get one pronto. By the end of 1936, 600,000 applications a day were being processed, so this was a very big deal.

To get a card, applicants had to fill in a form which asked for complete birth information -- date, place, mother's maiden name, etc. -- but here's where you could get lucky. Applications were not processed centrally -- they were handled by regional offices, and each office might have different procedures on verification. In some, you might be able to get away with just stating the facts under oath -- in others, run by stricter by the book types, you'd be required to show some proof of identity: a birth certificate, a naturalization certificate, a passport, or some other verification of who you were and where you came from.

It might be a good thing, then, to arrive in 1936 -- because with such a huge rush of applications during December 1936, it was very easy for field workers to just rush thru the application process and not be especially strict about documentation. Arriving later might mean trouble.

As for ration books, it wasn't just meat, sugar, coffee, shoes and such that were on the ration -- by spring of 1943, cooking oils and fats, many fruits and vegetables, and most canned goods were also subject to rationing, and the OPA was getting strict about enforcement. Showing up during the war without a valid ration book -- or a good forgery of same -- could mean some hungry nights unless your first step was to make friends with the local black marketer.

You'd never get a reputable office job without references, either letters of recommendation or people who could verbally verify you were who you said you were. Again, one could forge letters, but there's always the chance the company might try to verify them -- and if you arrived in wartime, forged letters could get you some uncomfortable moments answering questions you didn't want to answer. An easy way to get such references would be to, as soon as you arrived, sign up with a business school and take some courses in general office procedure, typing, accounting, shorthand, and such things as that. You didn't need to verify identity to take such courses, they generally weren't all that expensive, and upon completion you'd get a certificate and letter of reference. It'd take a few months of your time, and you'd have to have some other means of support until finishing the course, but it'd be a very smart investment. Anybody who could type could get a job.

Proof of registration and classification was required to be carried by every man of draft age during the war -- if you were stopped by the police for any reason, it had to be shown. You surrendered your draft card on induction into the service, so if you were stopped by police, were in civilian clothes, were of draft age and couldn't show your draft card they'd assume you were AWOL. You wouldn't want that to happen. And even if you didn't get sent off to a military stockade, you'd be facing a stretch of one to five years in prison for failing to register. Not a good way to get your new life started.

A passport in the United States required presentation of a birth certificate, baptismal record, or "other acceptable verification of identity" as far back as World War 1. "Other Acceptable Verification" could take the form of letters from two people who knew you, but again, be careful with forgeries. Most people didn't have passports, and didn't need passports, so this was less of an important detail than it would be today.

Last edited:

Flicka

One Too Many
You'd never get a reputable office job without references, either letters of recommendation or people who could verbally verify you were who you said you were. Again, one could forge letters, but there's always the chance the company might try to verify them -- and if you arrived in wartime, forged letters could get you some uncomfortable moments answering questions you didn't want to answer. An easy way to get such references would be to, as soon as you arrived, sign up with a business school and take some courses in general office procedure, typing, accounting, shorthand, and such things as that. You didn't need to verify identity to take such courses, they generally weren't all that expensive, and upon completion you'd get a certificate and letter of reference. It'd take a few months of your time, and you'd have to have some other means of support until finishing the course, but it'd be a very smart investment. Anybody who could type could get a job.

Oh, that was pretty much the plan I outlined! Could I pull off that in America you think?

Truth is, after I posted that, I actually considered learning to type properly, you know, just in case.... :lol

Gene

Practically Family
Jan. 14, 1947, dropped off at the Leimert Park area of Los Angeles. Honorable discharge from US Army documents. Watch someone dump a body near a sidewalk of South Norton Avenue and tail him. Go to the police a few days later and tell them the identity of the person.

Live off the fame of finding the Black Dahlia killer for a month!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I chose fifty dollars as a good round sum that should cover basic housing, incidentals, and necessities for a month, more or less, depending on the specific era. But you need to be entirely self supporting by the end of the month.

How would you get the job? How would you establish your credentials and qualifications? How and where would you find the apartment? Where and how would you eat? What would you do about clothing -- remember, you only have the one outfit, without so much as a change of socks or underwear.

As for papers, this would vary depending on the era. If you went back to the war era, for example, you'd need the appropriate ration books and, depending on the country, the appropriate identity card. Americans expecting to work after January 1, 1937 would need to get a Social Security card. Men would also have to get their draft status sorted. You'd need plausible stories to explain why you haven't already done these things.

As I say, a challenge. Could it be done?

As long as we're dealing with metaphysics here, let's also add the option of being whatever age you choose when you arrive in your era -- with the stipulation that you must be at least 21. And there's no guarantee that you'll be able to return to the modern era at the end of the month, so this could be for keeps.

I'd start out working on ships. That would be some of my 'room and board' and as for back in port - there are places for sailors to stay at (rent out at very low cost). On the ships I'd work my way up in rank - pay increase as time went on. Study to be an officer (I believe I would have to set aside some of the pay in order to do this - I'm not sure how it would be for all the countries in Europe as I'm looking at either Germany or Finland). I'd use some of my money to buy gear or put up with buying out of the 'slop chest' if need be (which means it would be then deducted from my pay at the end of the voyage). The era I'm looking at is 1920s to very early '30s (no later than say '33).

That's about the best reply I could give.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
To get a card, applicants had to fill in a form which asked for complete birth information -- date, place, mother's maiden name, etc. -- but here's where you could get lucky. Applications were not processed centrally -- they were handled by regional offices, and each office might have different procedures on verification. In some, you might be able to get away with just stating the facts under oath -- in others, run by stricter by the book types, you'd be required to show some proof of identity: a birth certificate, a naturalization certificate, a passport, or some other verification of who you were and where you came from.

This is interesting and actually explains something about my great grandfather. My grandfather lost several farms during the depression- and between losing one farm and buying the next he went and worked in the Pennsylvania coal mines. Well, the mines only wanted workers under a certain age, so he lied and said he was younger. When he applied for social security he also lied saying he was younger (we believe by at least 2 years, but no more than 5). I doubt in the area where he lived anyone would have asked for ID.

My great grandfather was afraid that his employers/ the government would find out he had been lying if he had given his real age to SS and that he would go to jail. When he died, his birth year on his tombstone is the birth year he gave to the social security office, afraid that there would be consequences for his family for his deception.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I'm just saying it would be possible to make a start, find some kind of casual labor as a clerk or manual laborer, rent a room or apartment, buy and sell, and live a normal life with no ID card or other papers. Once you found "the lay of the land" you could take the appropriate steps, at your leisure. It would also be child's play to get a driver's license and other ID compared to today.

This would apply most parts of the world, except during war time and in certain dictatorships.

For an actual example of this read "The Duke of Deception" the biography of a man named (called himself) Wolf. He talked himself into job after job that he had no education or qualifications for, and got away with it for months or years before being found out, usually because of incompetence. Only once did he get in trouble. This was during WW2 when he worked for a major aircraft manufacturer in California. The FBI came calling. You can imagine what they thought: they checked out his educational and employment references (which was evidently more than his employer did). In doing so, they found out they were all phony. So here is Mr. Nobody from Nowhere, who takes a job with a major defense contractor in 1938, a few months before the war in Europe broke out.... imagine their disappointment to find out he was merely a liar and a con man, American born, with no connection to any Nazi spy ring.

Of course he lost his job... but soon found another one just as good. Experienced executives were in short supply in the aircraft industry just then and he had excellent references.;)

But let me say, if your goal was to go back to say 1938, apply for a social security card, get a job as an accountant in a major corporation or government bureaucrat and stick to it day in and day out until you dropped off your perch I wouldn't waste my time machine.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Jan. 14, 1947, dropped off at the Leimert Park area of Los Angeles. Honorable discharge from US Army documents. Watch someone dump a body near a sidewalk of South Norton Avenue and tail him. Go to the police a few days later and tell them the identity of the person.

Live off the fame of finding the Black Dahlia killer for a month!

I would think twice about that. You can bet that whoever reported a crime like that would be investigated VERY thoroughly by the police. Also, according to the latest book on the subject by an LA detective, the killer was an important man in local government and was allowed to skip the country. I understand the cops were not too gentle back then either. If you got off with no more than the 3d degree (a thorough beating) you would be lucky. You could end up in prison for years.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Suppose you could be dropped off at 9 o'clock in the morning of whatever date you choose at whatever address in whatever town or city you choose. You are given one complete outfit of appropriate period clothing, fifty dollars or your country's equivalent (about 12 pounds 8 shillings UK for example) in period currency, and one identity document -- an appropriately-forged birth certificate. You may bring nothing else with you.

You have one month to establish an independent basis of existence: residence, job, and any other necessary papers. What would you do, and how would you do it?

Here goes:
I'd go as I am now. Strong and healthy. Young and able-bodied.
9:00 AM, you say. Too late, but still can be managed. If you are really going to look for a job, you have to get up EARLY.
I'm chosing my homeland pre-WWII, say: 1931. Best year.
Also, if I may: I'm chosing summer, say.. early-july.

Warm climate helps the grasses grow. That's important. You'll see.

My plan:
1. In that time of year, in those years, big farms were taking in all sorts of folkes to work the month or two. Mostly, work consisted of spending he day labouring the fields. I'm fine with that, I did that.
2. As the clothes go: it those years, people had two garments (one for work, one for Church.. or something that required you being "posh"). All I'd need, if it's like that is another garment. And with the money you gave me.. I'd be filthy ritch. :D I could afford the "posh"
3. So, I've managed to get a job (it included a meal and a stay, in the place called "the cowshed" lol). It's warm outside, I wouldn't mind it. I used to sleep outside, on a porch as a kid, when it was still "appropriate".
4. You've mentioned papers.. what papers? lol No, seriosly.. those field-labourers were mainly rovers, they had no papers, they needed no papers; all they needed were strong hands, strong backs.. and "shut-up-and-work" attitude.
5. ..damn, I'm just hoping I would not get killed from all that money you've gave me. 50 dollars, in those days? No one "normal" carried around that much money. I guess I'd have to dig a hole nearby and stash it.. so, you'll be getting a change at the end of the month.
(I don't mind not being the middle-class-highly-educated girl... for a month. :first:

Oh, I also acquired a booze-making skill, that might be handy back in 1931. :cool:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'll chose London, on any day in the first half of the 20th Century - when it was still the greatest port in the world.

My document of choice is a Merchant Seaman's book. I'll go to a shipping office and sign on as a deck hand, asking if i can get a nice long voyage. Later that day I'll be on a ship, going somewhere in the world. So, by the end of the month, I'll be set up a job, a roof over my head and food in my belly.

Just so long as the time machine doesn't drop me between 1914-1918 or 1939-1945, I should be alright.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
my hometown c1900, rent a shop repairing/selling bicycles, there were many,many cycling clubs in the area and not enough dealers/repairers to meet demand so trade should be brisk and pay good considering that it was the height of fashion and still predominantly a 'middle class' pastime!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
toad.jpg

Brrrm! lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I'm tempted to say West Point, NY, 1909 (or so), with a forged high school diploma, so that I could gain entrance into the USMA and graduate as a Cavalry officer in time to join Gen. Pershing in the Punitive Expedition...

...However, I'm just as inclined to opt for September of 1942, spending a non-stop three days in NYC, and then hitch-hiking to Los Angeles and doing the same. Then, after running out of money, I'd show up at the Hollywood U.S. Army recruiting office and sign up...Since $50 in 1942 would be about $700 in real money today, I think I'd make it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I chose $50 based on a weekly income of $12.25 a week, which would be a functional but by no means luxurious wage if you lived frugally. The temptation for a lot of time-travelers might be to blow it all at once on riotous living, but parcelled out carefully it ought to supply enough money to provide immediate needs while the traveler is getting acclimatized. For comparison purposes, a working-class family income in 1939-40 came to about $1200 a year, or a little over $23 a week.

I've got about $50 in period currency in my desk drawer right now, mixed bills and coins. "Just in case," you understand.

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
April 1939, Brooklyn. First I'd stop at Coney Island and spend the entire day at Steeplechase, then head on over to a nearby movie palace to see the latest movie. I would then look for an apartment and spend a few days making a drawing portfolio and head on over to the Terrytoons cartoon studio in New Rochelle and apply for a job. I'd also probably be spending endless hours wandering car dealerships on 59th street, popping over to Macy's to buy few extra clothes and stop at the automat for a late lunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo