Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Tattoos...

I read once that tattoos by soldiers started in Britain during the Napoleonic wars, as a way of identification in case of serious injury or death...
Anyone know the truth of this?

I live right now in a part of the world that is known for some of the most artistic tattoos, and because of my job, I have seen enough tattoos, from small ones to full color whole body tattoos that can only be called art.
But, I would not recommend anyone to go for them without giving it thorough thought for a number of reasons.

First, there are some societies where people with any kind of tattoos are looked upon as of dubious character, and are often refused admission to some public places where they may be clearly seen, e.g. public pools, gyms, saunas, hot spas. So, if you expect to do any extensive traveling, or to live in countries other than the US for one reason or another, you may find that the locals will eye you with suspicion. Of course, if you are very conspicuously a foreigner, you may be given room for doubt, but it would be easier and wiser to avoid such consequences. This goes not only for men, but for women all the more, because generally, such societies will look upon less kindly on women with tattoos, even if they are foreigners. Now, some of you may think this is discriminatory, but the fact is, especially full body tattoos can be intimidating because those who go for it are generally from the underworld in these societies, and these people actually use their tattoos to intimidate others -- if any of you are familiar with "yakuza" films, you may have noticed.

Two, as the tattoos get older, and of course the person with the tattoos get older, the lines tend to blur, and the colors recede and become dull so even if they are very pretty at first, they can end up looking dirty and ugly. Also, the texture of the skin hardens because of the pigments implanted. It is pretty hard, sometimes impossible, to get an intra-venous line where the skin is tattooed, and I have had one patient in the past who would, when he needed IV drips, turn on his stomach, point to the back of his knee(where there was no tattoo) and say,
"Doc, you can get a line in here..." :rolleyes: He was a legend among the interns and the residents...

Three, as in the article on the history of tattoos, the threat of hepatitis is very real. Here, whenever we doctors see anyone with tattoos, we suggest to them to let us run a lab test for Hepatitis C, and the percentage who come up positive is very high, espeically with the older and extensive ones, I can't remember off hand anyone I have seen who did not test positive for HCV. (Hepatitis C often causes liver cancer which is why it is of such great concern to us.) So, if you want to get one, make sure that the artist uses disposable equipment, not only the needles, but anything that you may come into contact with, pigments and such, because anything that is used in common with others without sterilization carries the danger of contamination. What better way is there to be sure that there is no contamination than having everything new and opened right in front of your eyes!

Four, if you find that you want them off in the future, if they are extensive, the only way you can get rid of them is through skin grafts, and that in itself will scar you for the rest of your life. Do you want or need that?

As for piercings anywhere other than ears (I do have one hole each in both of my ears) well, if some of my patients knew what goes on in my mind everytime I say, "Open your mouth, please." and see a pierced tongue... [bad]

All said, something that can mark you for life, and may have some medical consequence, is something that should be considered carefully and not done lightly, not because it is fashionable, or gives you that "naughty" look, or you do it for "attitude", is what I think.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
Tattoos of course being a personal choice do hold many different meanings.....I myself have two and can't wait to visit Sin City for my next but they sure aren't for everyone

RedFalcon

New in Town
I wouldn't say that tats are for everyone. I would certainly recommend making sure that you are putting something on your skin that holds some deeply significant meaning to you, don't go putting some trivial, flash-in-the-pan image on you that you'd be ashamed of when you mature.

Personally, I have a tat that I would just as soon not have...and three that mean alot to me and I would get over again if I could go back and do it all over.

My family's clan slogan Caisteal Foulis na theine is on my inside right forearm...that was my firing hand and seemed appropriate to put the family warcry there. And my jumpwings, which I had put on at Ft. Bragg after assignment to the 82nd ABN are prominently on my right shoulder cap.

I can't see tattooing one's face with a scorpion or something though...that just doesn't seem to make any sense

rick5150

One of the Regulars
There are many things to look at when getting a tattoo. Some of them are cool. Some are really bad. (Remember the ones where you get drunk and jab at yourself with a needle dipped in India ink?) There are things that you should think about before you make that spontaneous PERMANENT decision. I got mine after being married for 18 years. It is a simple heart with my wife's name on it. I like it, but had talked about it for years before I did it. I spoke to many people who had tattoos to see how they felt about them now as compared to how they felt when they did them.

Think about what you will be doing for a living before you get the tattoo of a goat skull on your forehead. Maybe you have a phone job now, but when you get passed up for your dream job in real estate because you make people uncomfortable, you will regret it.

Think about the band you want on your back in 5" tall letters. Most bands are forgotten in a few years and you may have "Hubbastank" tattooed on your back when you are 18, but how goofy will that look when you are 60 and nobody (including you) remembers what the hell it means?

Think about what words themselves mean. Sometimes words change meaning. Gay used to mean happy. The sixty year old that got the tattoo saying "I am a gay guy" didn't plan for the words to change meanings. In an age where "cool" and "hot" mean the same thing and "bad" really means good, who knows.

Obviously the new sexy mate you found would want to have their name tattooed on your body somewhere. But when you have a huge fight over who ate the last bag of dill pickle potato chips and break up, you now have a constant reminder of this person who you are never going to see again tattooed on your upper thigh. That should really impress the next potential love toy. At least you have another thigh.

Stick to common themes. Ladies, that same tattoo of a rose you have on your shoulder or ankle that makes you look sexy when you are 18 - can make you look trashy when you are 45. Sorry.

Moderation is another thing to consider. When I got my tattoo, I wanted to get another one right after. They are addictive once you get started. What I really wanted was a nice tattoo of the Three Stooges on what passes for my bicep. Or a cool Spiderman tattoo - I have been a fan since the cartoons of the 60's. I have not done it yet because it is not appropriate to me. Yes, it is my body, but others will see it from time to time. Maybe I will start with just Curly... :p

Ask the older bikers with the full body tattoos including the words "hot" and "cold" over each respective nipple. It may have been funny then, but after meeting the mate of your dreams and taking a family picture you may realize everybody else is a blank slate and you look like a Frank Frazzetta painting. You won't fit in when you want or need to.

Keep them small, keep them few and keep them meaningful. If you can ask yourself a few questions, give yourself honest answers and still yearn for the tattoo, go ahead and get it.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
A guy I used to know had some tattoos that he got in prison...what they did was burn plastic (I think it was plastic) and then somehow applied it to the skin...I'm sure with a needle. Kinda scary, huh?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I work as a social worker in a welfare to work program; some of my clients are ex-felons and many have visible tattoos. Unfortunately, it gives them away, like wearing a sign "I have been to prison and all I have to show for it is this lousy tattoo." They have more trouble getting jobs than other clients.

For some years I thought of getting a tattoo but have not yet gotten one. It would probably be a little dragon or some creature, and not be in a place where people would see it much.

My father had a tattoo he got when he was in the Navy in WW II. It was a US Navy anchor insignia and it was on his forearm. He got it when he and his buddies were loaded one night and was embarrassed to have it for years. He couldn't believe it when I told him I was thinking of getting a tattoo.

"My god, " he said, "and all these years I've been thinking of getting rid of mine."

"Don't you dare get rid of it," I said, "that tattoo is cool!"

I might get one when I retire.

karol

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I can only think of two images I would even consider putting on my body. One I have found and the other I'm still looking for. I seriously considered getting one several years ago (before it became trendy). Now I doubt I will ever get one.

There are very few tats I find interesting. The most current designs, I have seen, are poor quality and even worse design. I guess the mall ink parlors are doing well. :rolleyes:

I just got back from a holiday vacation and couldn't believe all the lower back tats (Flowers, ivy and what not) on young ladies. Maybe I should get into laser ink removal now, because I see it as big business in the near future. ;)

Tom

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have a question about temporary tattoos if anyone out there has had experience with them. I see them sold around in shops and some of the designs are neat.

How do they hold up? Do they wash off immediately, do they do a long ugly fade? Can you get them off immediately if you don't like them?

I would probably be more inclined to get a tattoo if I thought I could get rid of it in a few days/weeks/months, but know nothing about temporary tattoos except the kind we used to get in kiddy candy.

karol

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
My dad's reaction while we were sitting at Panchos Mexican Restaurant:

Funny, I grew up eating at Panchos in Ft. Worth. I spent a lot of time in El Fenix, also.

Great! Now I'm hungry. :pizza:

Tom

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Retro Grouch said:
Funny, I grew up eating at Panchos in Ft. Worth. I spent a lot of time in El Fenix, also.

Great! Now I'm hungry. :pizza:

Tom
Hahaa! This was the Pancho's in Duncanville. Funny thing about Pancho's...guys love that restaurant. In high school, I was down in Waco with my golf team for a tournament. The team is piled in the van and coach asks where we wanted to eat...all the girls replied "Olive Garden!"; all the guys replied "Panchos!" I still think of that when I hear the word "Panchos."

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Actually all the guys that my dad got the pleasure of flying with in the bomber all got the same tattoo back then. Most military units had their numbers or motto tattoo that was a favorite to get during a good off base drunken stupor. My dad has 101st SCREAMING EAGLES on his arm. But, he started off in the Army and finished up in the Air Force. I guess one tattoo was enough for him. I don't remember getting mine at all. Drunken stupor ya know will get you every time.

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Kwebs said:
I never thought I'd get a tattoo, but a few months ago I was thinking about my best friend who died from muscular dystrophy, I wanted to honor him and I came up with the idea of a tattoo. His favorite movie was The Crow so I'm going to get a crow outline like in the movie and his face in the center of it with real love is forever underneath it. I just can't think a better way to memorialize him in my own way.

Dave

I forget exactly which person it was...but one of the men on Flight 73 (hope I got the number right) which went down in Pennsylvania on 9/11, was a big Superman fan - a 'can do' kind of guy. He is believed to have been one of those that attacked the terrorists. He had a Superman tattoo on his shoulder.

His brothers and sisters all got the same Superman tattoo on their shoulders to honor him. (I admit, I get choked up just thinking about that again.)

THAT is a valid reason for a tattoo. (But I still like Holly's Pooh-Bear... ;) )

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
I have a question about temporary tattoos if anyone out there has had experience with them. I see them sold around in shops and some of the designs are neat.

How do they hold up? Do they wash off immediately, do they do a long ugly fade? Can you get them off immediately if you don't like them?

I would probably be more inclined to get a tattoo if I thought I could get rid of it in a few days/weeks/months, but know nothing about temporary tattoos except the kind we used to get in kiddy candy.

karol

A lot of temp tattoos last for a week, sometimes more, if you take care of them - cover them w/ vaseline before a shower, say. Those can come off w/ some baby oil and hard scrubbing.

At the very least, those temp tattoos are fun for date nights. And Valentine's Day. And birthdays. And you don't have to have them the next day.

I haven't tried this, but I know several folks who got a 'henna' tattoo, which is ink put into the skin as I understand it, but it fades slower. Kind of like permanent ink? (Sharpie, anybody?) I think these last about 6 weeks. That seems like a better way to figure out if you're going to get sick of it or not. Those will NOT come off, they have to fade on their own.

(Someone correct me if they know better, but I figure that's enough info to kick you in the right direction if you are still interested.)

I guess the only real reluctance I've had that stops me is 'what will it look like then?' Years ago, I almost got a band tattoo - around the bicep - of the sillouhettes of running wolves. Until my brother said, "Jer, when you're 80 they're gonna looking like galloping weasels." :confused: Oh...thanks a lot...

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Henna Tattoo

Jerry, I got a henna tattoo at a Ren Fest a few years ago. It was a bullwhip wrapped around my leg just above the ankle...actually looked tacky but it was fun to get it done. It lasted about 2-3 weeks.

Canadave

One Too Many
Indiana Jerry said:
...I haven't tried this, but I know several folks who got a 'henna' tattoo, which is ink put into the skin as I understand it, but it fades slower. Kind of like permanent ink? (Sharpie, anybody?) I think these last about 6 weeks. ...

*How long does the black henna tattoo last?

The black henna tattoo usually lasts from 7-21 days depending on the skin. Everyone's skin exfoliates differently. The majority of people get two or three weeks. Some people will get longer than this (we've heard of some people getting a month to six weeks-however this is the exception). It just depends on how quickly your skin tends to exfoliate.

*Will it really last, even with showering and bathing?

Absolutely. You can do your normal showering and bathing. The amount of time we just talked about is with showering and bathing. Now if you don't want to shower, you could get months and months from it!. NO, we are just kidding. With normal showering and bathing you should get anywhere from 7-21 days.

*How can I make my black henna tattoo last longer?

Some of our customers swear by Vaseline or Baby Oil. Any time they get wet (whenever they shower, bathe or wash), they apply a layer of Vaseline or Baby Oil directly on the black henna tattoo. Some have said that this made their tattoo last a month to six weeks. One of our clients stated that she used Vaseline every time she went into the shower. Her tattoo stayed dark black for about three and a half weeks, then she was ready to try a new black henna tattoo, so she stopped the Vaseline and the tattoo almost immediately started to disappear. You can certainly try this.

From this link.

A bunch of us got some henna tattoos in Cancun at a sales meeting. Mine was seriously faded in 3-4 days.

David

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, as for me, I have friends that have tats and they either want more, or wish they never did it. There once was a swing dancing couple I knew that I would see here and there that had really fine taste in vintage clothes and hair styles. They looked rad! Funny thing was that they were almost covered in tats! The guy had tats up to his neck, on both arms and legs! He’s a tat artist himself and has a cool parlor in SanPedro. He does vintage tattoos from the 30’s and 40’s.

His dance partner at the time was covered in tats! But, the only tat free place was her legs except for the line down the back of her legs that simulated seamed stockings! That I thought was kind of cool.

As for me, I am saddened to see a young lady with tats. They think at the time it’s all the rage and they don’t care what the future holds. So, most youngsters today are short sighted. Body piercing to me is just something I’ll never like. All that hardware is facial clutter to me! Ear rings are tasteful but any thing else is scary. Yeah, call me old fashioned and I’ll say: YEP! There is just something beautiful about a fresh, clean cut look. You may even say that to be rebellious in today’s world one would not get tats or pierce places where only they know about. So many people I see have little this and that’s pierced in there nose or ears or lips or what have you. They’re all a bunch of voodoo dolls walking around if you ask me.

A friend of mine’s sister had a bar bell in her tongue once. She worked in the same office as I did and she was playing with it in her mouth because she was board. Well, all I remember is that she rushed into the bathroom saying something to the effect that she swallowed it! She then spent the next 30 minutes in there trying to purge it out! No luck! Too heavy for that so, she rushed to the mall to buy another one before the hole closed up.

Well, that’s my take on the idea,

Root.

My father had two tattoos. They were on each shoulder. One was a rooster and the other was an eagle's head with his name on a ribbon that trailed from the eagle's beak. I think I might have related this somewhere else but let me tell you; they looked nothing like what they were supposed to be by the time I came along. They were nothing but ink blobs on the skin.
I cannot see putting something permanently on oneself that will not remain looking good. My father did mention one good thing about tattoos and the proliferation of them one one's body. "If you are involved in an airplane crash they can figure out what belongs to you." :p I doubt I want to ever become a human puzzle.

Regards to all,

J

up196

A-List Customer
"If you are involved in an airplane crash they can figure out what belongs to you."

I was one of the responding EMTs when Pan-Am 759 went down; trust me, it isn't all that simple. Hard to believe it was nearly 23 years ago.

As far as barbells in the tongue, I am reminded of Dennis Leary's reason the he would never have considered such a thing. I would have been just one more thing his father could have grabbed onto when he got pi**ed off at him.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I can see the verying taste of tats......being as they are such a personal choice I would never convince anyone to get one...but here is a background I created for a site from vintage flash I found here and there......

TATBKG.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy