Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

BoPeep

Practically Family
I have a few, and some are quiet large. On my left arm I have a half sleeve of Mucha's Poetry piece and on my right arm (almost the whole thing) is another Art Nouveau piece. I haven't regretted them at all, maybe because they are works of art to me and I adore Art Nouveau & Deco. I've had some weird looks when I wear my vintage dresses with my tattoos showing though.

Vivian, post pics if you wouldn't mind. I love Mucha's work. Have a six foot poster of Sarah Bernhardt's Hamlet framed and hanging in my sewing room.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
I have three but I'm very much a work in progress. I adore tattoos, and had two as a teenager, but I always put off being covered from top to toe for fear of other's reactions, particularly my husband.
However now that my situation has changed :fish: I am slowly accumilating all the beautiful ink that I have been coveting for so long.

I got my first new tattoo a few weeks ago. It the cutest, traditional style, red devil on my right shoulder. My daughter calls it Mummy's Monster and tries to feed him biscuits! I'm getting the corresponding little angel on my left shoulder in a matter of weeks and after that I'm getting the coy carp on my left arm covered with an Alice in Wonderland half-sleeve. Who knows after that!

I am really enjoying the whole process as well as the tattoo(s), they make me feel all rockabilly! Of course it also helps that the tattoo artist is a real dish! :eyebrows:

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
I think my taste changes too much for me to ever get a tattoo. If I could've gotten a tattoo when I was 12 I would've had a Vanilla Ice sleeve for sure. If at 18 it'd be a tossup between The Spin Doctors or Queen. At 25 I wouldnt have wanted anything. Now I'd get a real old fashioned anchor, mom's heart, or a ship. I'm far too fickle hearted to commit. I liked Michael McKean's recent tweet regarding tattoos: "I think the thing you really need to ask yourself before you get that tattoo is: will I still be into Dilbert 10 years from now?"

~X

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
I have three but I'm very much a work in progress. I adore tattoos, and had two as a teenager, but I always put off being covered from top to toe for fear of other's reactions, particularly my husband.
However now that my situation has changed :fish: I am slowly accumilating all the beautiful ink that I have been coveting for so long.

I got my first new tattoo a few weeks ago. It the cutest, traditional style, red devil on my right shoulder. My daughter calls it Mummy's Monster and tries to feed him biscuits! I'm getting the corresponding little angel on my left shoulder in a matter of weeks and after that I'm getting the coy carp on my left arm covered with an Alice in Wonderland half-sleeve. Who knows after that!

I am really enjoying the whole process as well as the tattoo(s), they make me feel all rockabilly! Of course it also helps that the tattoo artist is a real dish! :eyebrows:

:rofl: crack up about your daughter! An Alice in Wonderland half sleeve! How awsome is that!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I think my taste changes too much for me to ever get a tattoo. If I could've gotten a tattoo when I was 12 I would've had a Vanilla Ice sleeve for sure. If at 18 it'd be a tossup between The Spin Doctors or Queen. At 25 I wouldnt have wanted anything. Now I'd get a real old fashioned anchor, mom's heart, or a ship. I'm far too fickle hearted to commit. I liked Michael McKean's recent tweet regarding tattoos: "I think the thing you really need to ask yourself before you get that tattoo is: will I still be into Dilbert 10 years from now?"~X

I also think the comedy tattoo flowchart from Ugliest Tattoos is a very good idea. You have to hope that most people's sense of humour develops after the age of 20.
jokey_tattoo.jpg

marxalot

New in Town
As far as the period is concerned, ink was basically the purview of sailors (military or merchant), low-lifes, and odd birds (generally foreign). For myself, I've got one tattoo and intend on getting a few more-- but all of the designs I'm working on are meaningful, and act as reminders to myself. My only current piece is a quill pen, on my shoulder blade, which I bought with the cheque from my first writing gig, and I like to say it keeps me honest (every time I think of changing careers, I think about the indelible design on my back).

MikePotts

Practically Family
Well put marxalot, I have tattoos that no-one else can see, unless I choose to wear a singlet in public! They are simply reminders that I once had an adventurous life.,
I was encouraged to get one on my back and it's the only one I regret - because I can't see it when I need to,

MP

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I like tattoos, but I think the trend is leaning towards ridiculous these days. It's one thing to dress a certain way just to be rebellious (Kmart Rebellion, as a friend of mine once put it), but why permanently mark your skin just for that? I'm not saying everyone (or even most) does that, in fact I really am a big fan of tattoos and other body art. But I think fashion and trends right now don't lend themselves to smart decisions when it comes to any sort of body modification, and people end up doing things they can't help but regret later on. I'm talking about someone who would get full body tattoos because they care what other people think - I find that to be somewhat dangerous. But, people have done worse for dumber reasons than that and I'm the last person who should talk about what's dumb to do and what's not! lol

On the subject of liking them, I have a love for a pretty man with a some nice ink. I love vintage-style tattoos (sailor tattoos, particularly) but I also love a lot of the modern stuff. It's become such an amazingly intricate art form, what tattoo artists can do these days is amazing!

djd

Practically Family
I like tattoos on men and women - provided they don't look like they were done in prison!
The important thing to me is that they mean something to you. Dosent have to be deep any meaningful - can just be a reminder of a certain time in your life. I have some on my upper arms, chest, back and stomach. They're all easily covered when I dress smart. I have the word 'swashbuckling' across my upper back which is probably my favourite one. I love those old Errol Flynn films .... :)

djd

Practically Family
Yeah that's probably too young to start.... :(

I didn't get my first one until I was in my 30s ...( maybe that was too old to start!)

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Yeah that's probably too young to start.... :(

I didn't get my first one until I was in my 30s ...( maybe that was too old to start!)

*LOL* At the time I thought I'd never regret it. Ah, silly 15 year old was I! Oh well, at least all this time later they still look good! Nah, 30s isn't too old to start!
X
BD

djd

Practically Family
I do find that having a few tattoos is a bit of a spur towards keeping in some sort of physical shape. You don't want saggy tattoos....

Blonde

New in Town
I used to really want a tattoo on my back, just can't justify the cost for something I don't know if I would want for the rest of my life.

djd

Practically Family
The way I figure is that by the time I decide I don't want it I'll be too old for anyone to be interested in what's on my body parts :)

Probably another couple of years at this rate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana