Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taubers compared to Ralphs-Pugh Jackets

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
A few months ago, I found this Ralphs Pugh on Grailed. The asked price was funny and nobody did look further (between $3000 and $6000). But I was patient and decided to contact the seller. I won it for a few hundred dollars, and no import tax. Here are some pics of the sale page, I will post some pics of the jacket, that I did condition.
View attachment 486848
View attachment 486849
View attachment 486850

Color me envious again! Never seen a RP in this construction. That Steerhide label is from c.1940. The green steerhide label was the first in 1938.

The side construction looks like the earlier cossack style.

I'll add these pics to my RP book (under construction)

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Color me envious again! Never seen a RP in this construction. That Steerhide label is from c.1940. The green steerhide label was the first in 1938.

The side construction looks like the earlier cossack style.

I'll add these pics to my RP book (under construction)
This jacket is a mix of 40s CHP and civilian jacket. The leather used on it is incredible. Was the grain pronouced like this when new, or dit it age like this amazingly ? Difficult to find this kind of steerhide today. It's a size around 40/42, would be too small for you, just fits me fine. I like it.
Don't hesitate to ask for pics, if I can help. Hoping to see your future RP book/page.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
RP was a noted user of Steerhide when the dominate hide was Horse. They also produced jackets in Horse and Goatskin, suedes also.

RP, like all the bay area makers, had access to the finest tanned leathers in the world just miles away. My theory; they had a close connection with the tanners and had their choice of the finest hides.

The horsehide they used is as fine a leather as I have handled and remains that way after 70 years!

40s Steerhide

1675713609455.jpeg

1938 Steerhide, nothing like the other Steerhide. This is the most unusual leather I have encountered.

1675714057551.jpeg
1675714104174.jpeg
1675714152122.jpeg
1675714179784.jpeg
1675714252393.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
RP did some interesting work

The Vest on the left is a RP, I have pictures of others like it. The vest on the right is Los Angeles Sport Togs

The jacket is the earliest Appalachian I have encountered. late 40s

1675714465039.png

Wildhorses

Practically Family

The Vest on the left is a RP, I have pictures of others like it. The vest on the right is Los Angeles Sport Togs

View attachment 487236

View attachment 487236
One day I will find an Appalachian cross-zip like this one, or the Sears version.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Wildhorses

Practically Family
It's like the date code on Gibson guitars. Sadly it's hard to read the code on my jacket. Anyway, dating a zipper only dates...the zipper. I suppose mine is from the 1940s.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
It's like the date code on Gibson guitars. Sadly it's hard to read the code on my jacket. Anyway, dating a zipper only dates...the zipper. I suppose mine is from the 1940s.

Yes, the reverse Alphabet in the 50s!

I see your code; 0=1940 the Month letter is obscured.

I believe the zipper dates are accurate to the year of manufacture in these 2 jackets. The Sunrise box fades away in civilian use by 1942. These zippers were too valuable and short lived to be hanging around waiting to be used. A small concern like RP probably only stocked what they needed, not surplus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ