Taubers compared to Ralphs-Pugh Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jonbuilder, Aug 7, 2020.

1. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

First off I understand Terry is working on a history of Ralphs-Pugh jackets. I am highly waiting in anticipation for its debut. I have just recently became away of the Ralphs-Pugh. I notice similarities with Ralphs-Pugh jackets, both making police uniform jackets and both operating out of San Francisco, my home town area.
    Has anyone handled both Ralphs-Pugh and Taubers jackets and willing to highlight similarities and differences?

tmitchell59 and dannyk like this.
  2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Ralphs-pugh is my favorite vintage maker of that time! All of the SF based jacketmakers of the 30s-40s had similar designs/ touches. R-P was short lived as a jacket maker as their primary focus of business was/ is conveyer belts.

Benny Holiday, El Marro, JMax and 2 others like this.
  3. stmike

stmike One of the Regulars

handymike likes this.
  4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Mine must be an early version as it doesn't have the CHP styling- no laces or gunbelt loops- just a badge-holder on one of their regular models.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  5. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

That would be a die for jacket in my size

6. technovox

technovox Practically Family

Nice one! Looks familiar ;-)

handymike likes this.
  7. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

ton312 likes this.
  8. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

An interesting Question. I have ideas, opinions, speculation but few facts. The jackets have to tell the story as information on the makers is limited.

Taubers and RP started producing jackets around 1940 in San Francisco. Looks like RP jackets vanished around 1950. Taubers went on into the early 80s? Both focused on Police/Uniform jackets and Motorcycle jackets. Civilian jackets by either maker are scarce. I've got images of interesting RP Sports jackets, but not of Taubers Sport jackets. I do own a Taubers Trucker and 40s Taubers half-belt, but both have a MC feel/flavor.

My RP visual history has around 20 jackets, three I own. I have one catalog image from the company, but no other information to date. I've been able to date the jacket production from c.1940-c.1950. I've collected several labels which I believe represent their years of production. I'm hoping the RP company can provide more information.

I think RP style has more in common with other Bay Area makers than Taubers.

Hopefully we can shed light on the Bay area makers.

9. ton312

ton312

LOL. Mine too. Has to stay there. It’s better sized for a child.

JMax likes this.