Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taubers compared to Ralphs-Pugh Jackets

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First off I understand Terry is working on a history of Ralphs-Pugh jackets. I am highly waiting in anticipation for its debut. I have just recently became away of the Ralphs-Pugh. I notice similarities with Ralphs-Pugh jackets, both making police uniform jackets and both operating out of San Francisco, my home town area.
Has anyone handled both Ralphs-Pugh and Taubers jackets and willing to highlight similarities and differences?

Mine must be an early version as it doesn't have the CHP styling- no laces or gunbelt loops- just a badge-holder on one of their regular models.
image.jpg

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
First off I understand Terry is working on a history of Ralphs-Pugh jackets. I am highly waiting in anticipation for its debut. I have just recently became away of the Ralphs-Pugh. I notice similarities with Ralphs-Pugh jackets, both making police uniform jackets and both operating out of San Francisco, my home town area.
Has anyone handled both Ralphs-Pugh and Taubers jackets and willing to highlight similarities and differences?

An interesting Question. I have ideas, opinions, speculation but few facts. The jackets have to tell the story as information on the makers is limited.

Taubers and RP started producing jackets around 1940 in San Francisco. Looks like RP jackets vanished around 1950. Taubers went on into the early 80s? Both focused on Police/Uniform jackets and Motorcycle jackets. Civilian jackets by either maker are scarce. I've got images of interesting RP Sports jackets, but not of Taubers Sport jackets. I do own a Taubers Trucker and 40s Taubers half-belt, but both have a MC feel/flavor.

My RP visual history has around 20 jackets, three I own. I have one catalog image from the company, but no other information to date. I've been able to date the jacket production from c.1940-c.1950. I've collected several labels which I believe represent their years of production. I'm hoping the RP company can provide more information.

I think RP style has more in common with other Bay Area makers than Taubers.

Hopefully we can shed light on the Bay area makers.

Wildhorses

Practically Family
A few months ago, I found this Ralphs Pugh on Grailed. The asked price was funny and nobody did look further (between $3000 and $6000). But I was patient and decided to contact the seller. I won it for a few hundred dollars, and no import tax. Here are some pics of the sale page, I will post some pics of the jacket, that I did condition.
1675609369201.png

1675609405948.png

1675609428756.png

This jacket has not been worn a lot. The thing is... how long will it be wearable, before I see some undone stitching. Wearing a 75 old jacket is not like wearing a new one, we all know. Quick fit pics. Bad quality phone pics...
View attachment 486897
View attachment 486899 View attachment 486898

I’d be incredibly happy with that fit on a true vintage jacket!! Heck, even on a newer jacket.

That jacket, if the time comes, will be worth having someone like Dena restitch entirely.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This jacket has not been worn a lot. The thing is... how long will it be wearable, before I see some undone stitching. Wearing a 75 old jacket is not like wearing a new one, we all know. Quick fit pics. Bad quality phone pics...
View attachment 486897
View attachment 486899 View attachment 486898
Wow, what an amazing jacket. The 75 years don't mean anything. If the seams are strong, they're strong. I own a couple of jackets from the 40s and 50s which feel like they were made yesterday. I wear them daily and there's no reason not to.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Wow, what an amazing jacket. The 75 years don't mean anything. If the seams are strong, they're strong. I own a couple of jackets from the 40s and 50s which feel like they were made yesterday. I wear them daily and there's no reason not to.
Time will tell. I'll be careful anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB