Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taylor Lynchburg

rgraham

A-List Customer
It's not that bad as far as riding goes. Sure, it doesn't have padding, but neither does my LAPD jacket from Taylor's, and it is for riding.

I think one other thing that doesn't lend itself to riding is the fact that the cuffs have large diameter openings. Your gloves will be under the cuff, not over.

I don't think these were meant for motorcycle riding.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
univibe88 said:
I truly appreciate the advice. I am a bit disappointed to hear this. I was hoping that as a supplier of police jackets that this would be more adequate for riding. However I was just thinking of using it as a stop gap until I get the funds for a Vanson. Lucky for me the Vanson showroom is in my home state.

Ah, you're one of the lucky few who live near Fall River, MA. As the owner of three Vansons (all via mail order) I am envious, as you are able to drop into the factory and window shop. As such, I'm sure you'll be able to spot the quality difference between a Vanson and the Taylor jacket.

The leather is thin and best described as "fashion leather", which is unsuitable for safe motorcycling. Further, any padding in the shoulders is nowhere near the protection of soft armor, much less Vanson's GP armor. Last, the padding is not in the critical areas that are most vulnerable to damage in a crash (i.e. your joints and your back). My opinion only, but when a jacket cannot protect you against abrasion OR impact damage, it is not safe for motorcycling.

I admit to being a bit paranoid when it comes to motorcycling safety. My three Vansons are all armor capable, and I only wear Vanson GP (hard) armor when motorcycling. My MSF instructor said you can be the best motorcyclist in the world but some idiot yapping away on his cell phone can still kill you. So we dress for the fall, not for the ride.

It is rather sad that the Taylor jackets aren't up to snuff to provide reliable protection to motorcycle law enforcement officers. :( If I were a cycle cop I would be quite angry at my department if they issued me one.

To be clear, I like my Lynchburg! However, I do not believe it sufficient for safe motorcycling.

Have you considered dropping by Vanson's shop and checking out their factory seconds? I hear the only "defects" are cosmetic in nature, and not serious ... and they will knock off quite a bit from the regular retail price!

Bassman

A-List Customer
Ace Rimmer, I think these e-bay Taylors are just fashion police style jackets and not serious riding jackets. I'm guessing L.E. gets the real deal.

univibe88

One Too Many
Ace Rimmer said:
Have you considered dropping by Vanson's shop and checking out their factory seconds? I hear the only "defects" are cosmetic in nature, and not serious ... and they will knock off quite a bit from the regular retail price!

I'd definitely check out a 2nd. I plan to head by their store soon.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
coPPahs

glad so many people like, or love, their taylors...i'm crazy about mine

as for the concept that these are wannabe, or fashionista cop jackets, because they are light leather and don't have armor, i must respectfully disagree

i've seen and checked out many various decomissioned (i.e. dept. used) police leather jackets, and i've yet to see one with armor in it, though some have more padding than others. most seem to be on the light side with comfort and lightness/comfort stressed at the compromise of protection

of course this is what i'd want if i lived at work in my motorcycle jacket...which is different than commuting in a bike jacket, or weekend riding, and then having it off during your 40+ hours on your actual job

and, hopefully i won't offend anyone, but the motorcops i've known (from my work as a reporter, and then later in the film industry on the set, retired and current officers) is that they are a macho group who do indeed prefer their comfort to bulking up with thick jackets, or jackets with armor, in traffic all day, in fear of getting into an accident...plus, i do know for a fact that taylor's jackets are supplied on contract to agencies and dept.s of the u.s. govt/states/municipalities

common sense would suggest the most protective jacket is what any rider would want, but other considerations such as comfort, cultural attitudes (i.e. machoism) and what's most conducive to long hours, outweigh theory

one needs look no further than the large majority of riders who prefer riding free vs. conforming to helmet laws, and when forced by such laws to wear helmets, as here in calif, protest by wearing technically legal "skullcap" helmets that offer much reduced protection, rather than giving in to the law, and the common sense notions of protecting themselves

again, don't work for taylor at aLLLLLL, but i do know they supply p.d.s, and thought i'd share some thoughts on why these jackets are light/comfortable vs. what people think they should be

p.s. that said, i'd certainly agree with getting a more protective padded or armored jacket for recreational riding, tho if i was a motorcop i'm sure i'd go the other direction, for comfort on the job

rgraham

A-List Customer
I might add that even though these are leather police jackets, it doesn't mean that they are only worn by motorcycle riding police. Black leather has a bit of a intimidation factor going for it, and with a shiny badge attached, even more so.

The reason I believe that these jackets aren't intended for riding anyway, is that they don't have the belt loops seen on motorcop jackets, nor the proper zippered sleeves. Both of these items are on the LAPD Taylor jacket that I use at times for riding.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with J.J. about the macho thing. I am a member of the Blue Knights, the police motorcycle club, and the FOP and I worked with police for a little over twenty years. I also currently train with police motor officers. They aren't seeking protection in their riding, but they do look for comfort. The leather jacket is something they wear when it is cool to keep the wind away from them, not something to protect them in a crash.

God made some cops perfect; the rest he put in cars.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Ok, finally got around to taking some pics.

Both these jackets are from Taylor Leathers. The top one is the new Lynchburg
but is says Appalachian on the tag.

The bottom image is my Taylor LAPD jacket. As you can see, that one is for motorcycle riding, and was my favorite until a Langlitz showed up. Well, the jury is still out on that one. I've only had the Lang for a week, and have only used it a couple of times.

LYNCHBURG.jpg
[/IMG]

LAPD.jpg
[/IMG]

rgraham

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
So, how does the LAPD compare in thickness to the Lynchburg?

Here is a comparison of the two leathers where two layers are sewn together at the bi-swing back. In this shot, it's pretty obvious that the LAPD has thicker grade of leather.

One thing to remember is, the LAPD is an older jacket, and I can't say this is what they are currently selling on their site. I have no idea the age of the jacket, but it does have a removable insulated liner.

COMPARISON.jpg
[/IMG]

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
officer in pursuit...if a great jacket

thanks for the backup peacoat...(pun intended)...

i did find an lapd jacket made on another site that makes pro police jackets and it offered the lapd jacket both with/without both the badge holder and the stays and loops on the belt

great pictures rgraham, sorry i haven't gotten my shots taken, but you do the jacket justice...and it shows what i like so much about this particular jacket, is it's luftwaffian lines (apologies to those who prefer to call it a resistance jacket)

interesting thing i noted whilst doing extra work in film/tv, alongside real lapd cops (everyone in l.a. is a sag member)...i couldn't help but note how uncomfortable it is wearing the thirty pounds of thick heavy leather holsters, stays, equip holders and such...not even to mention how difficult it is to sit down, or...you know...visit the accomodations and do your business

however, when i was in actual swat gear, all the leather stuff was in nylon webbing, weighing very little, and it made a much more comfortable difference...i'd say that being comfortable rather than "protected" could really save one's life

anyway, really love the pix, they give a great sense of the jacket...hope i'll have time at some point to put the thing on and shoot some shots...tho i did come up with this abomination until then>>>
4221_199517300570_885470570_6973741_2597369_n.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
Thanks for the remarks about the photos. Sorry I didn't take the time to clean all the bug splats off the LAPD before the shoot. Yep, all those marks on the front of the jacket are squished bugs, most of whom met their maker on a 300 mile ride a couple of weeks ago.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
beHeaded

sorry peacoat, guess i lost my head

rgraham...you're just one of those "bug get out of my way" sorta guys...i figured you as such!

ok, i'm changing my photo...but stiLL leather>>>
4221_199291680570_885470570_6968242_4149568_n.jpg

p.s....letting some more great jackets go, do visit the fedLounge classifieds section...link to pix there... :D

univibe88

One Too Many
I am 5'10" 200 lbs. This is a Large, Long. Typically I wouldn't wear a long size, but I think this one fits me well. You can see it goes a bit over my belt. If I got a regular large, I think it would hit right at my belt. I have been riding with this jacket and I think the length is just right.

5.jpg

6.jpg

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
loox greaT!

i don't ride, ever since laying across the hood of a capri on pch in santa monica on my yamaha 250 enduro in college...left turner didn't check all the lanes

but as far as length for general wear, i wouldn't think you'd want it shorter

for $50, hilarious, huh?

nice bike too !

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny said:
as for the concept that these are wannabe, or fashionista cop jackets, because they are light leather and don't have armor, i must respectfully disagree

Sorry if I was unclear. I was not saying that the Taylors are wannabe cop jackets. They're certainly the real thing, and I am happy with mine.

I am only saying that in my opinion they are deficient for safe motorcycling due to lack of armor (which means they have zero impact protection) and light leather (which reduces the abrasion protection).

Having spent two years in our local prosecutor's office (prior to being admitted to the bar) I am fully aware of, and agree with, your admonition that doing as police do is not always the best thing! lol

univibe, great pics. Always loved those boxer engines on the BMWs.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
rim sHot

thanks rimmer...and i certainly wasn't being argumentative...i do agree, the more perfectly protective jacket is likely the one most police would not wear...buT recreational riders should, just like drivers should always buckle up ;D

and again, upon landing on the hood of a new ford capri in '73, within 6 months i had stopped riding bikes, and not resumed...i have deFiniTeLy purchased my lynchburg for cas wear...i'm totally the poser...

however, i feel i've paid my dues...destroying the full passenger-side fender of the capri with my knee, and not suffering any damage to my person or bike, hopefully allows me the lifetime right to pose in moto jackets without heinous derision (a little bit, like peacoat's, is quite fine)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy