Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teamster Button Repair

Amir

New in Town
While I am pleased with my Teamster FQHH (purchased in late 2014), I need to shore up the football-style buttons sooner than I anticipated.:

IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

My question(s) to the class:

It has concealed backer buttons between two layers of hide. I would imagine the repair shop will have to unstitch the lining for the fix.

Once that instrusive surgery is underway, should they seal it up, or should I have the good doctors move the backer buttons to the other side of the hide? Obviously, the backer buttons would be seen when you open the jacket - but if the procedure (future repairs/replacement of buttons) needs to be repeated, access would be easier.

Also, should I request that they use upholstery thread or some heavy duty twine to attach the buttons?

Any specifics or other options to suggest?

Last edited:

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
I would either move the backer buttons to the outside or If you want to keep them concealed, have them glue an extra piece of leather/heavy material to the inside of the outer layer before sewing the buttons back on. & sealing it up. This will help reinforce the area.

Bonded nylon upholstery thread should be plenty strong enough. Thats what I use in a T-135 size.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
While I am pleased with my Teamster FQHH (purchased in late 2014), I need to shore up the football-style buttons sooner than I anticipated.:

View attachment 41620 View attachment 41622 View attachment 41623

My question(s) to the class:

It has concealed backer buttons between two layers of hide. I would imagine the repair shop will have to unstitch the lining for the fix.

Once that instrusive surgery is underway, should they seal it up, or should I have the good doctors move the backer buttons to the other side of the hide? Obviously, the backer buttons would be seen when you open the jacket - but if the procedure (future repairs/replacement of buttons) needs to be repeated, access would be easier.

Also, should I request that they use upholstery thread or some heavy duty twine to attach the buttons?

Any specifics or other options to suggest?

Hi Amir,

We saw that you were from Philadelphia and having some button trouble. Because you're in the US, you probably purchased from us...if that's the case, just ship the jacket to us and we'll fix this issue free of charge....

wdw

One Too Many
My Teamster had the football buttons replaced by Aero while I waited. They unpicked the sleeve lining seam and went in through there, so the fix was unnoticeable.

I sold that jacket, but when I got another Teamster I had normal buttons put on that, which I now prefer, and they seem more secure, maybe because of the four holes instead of two.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi Amir,

We saw that you were from Philadelphia and having some button trouble. Because you're in the US, you probably purchased from us...if that's the case, just ship the jacket to us and we'll fix this issue free of charge....
Good plan and a no brainer if you bought the Teamster from Insurrection. I imagine Carrie's repair will outlive you!

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Hi Amir,

That's customer service, and why we keep making our purchases through Thurston Bros.

Amir

New in Town
Friends:

My post was genuinely an attempt to figure out the best method of repairing the Teamster - NOT to agitate Thurston Bros or Aero - or complain about workmanship ( in case anyone interpreted it that way). I just wanted the jacket mended - and looked for advice on how to approach a repair shop.

I would either move the backer buttons to the outside or If you want to keep them concealed, have them glue an extra piece of leather/heavy material to the inside of the outer layer before sewing the buttons back on. & sealing it up. This will help reinforce the area.

Bonded nylon upholstery thread should be plenty strong enough. Thats what I use in a T-135 size.

Thanks. Terrific advice on the fix.

My Teamster had the football buttons replaced by Aero while I waited. They unpicked the sleeve lining seam and went in through there, so the fix was unnoticeable.

I sold that jacket, but when I got another Teamster I had normal buttons put on that, which I now prefer, and they seem more secure, maybe because of the four holes instead of two.

Roger that! Now I can head into a repair shop with some options.

Hi Amir,

Thank you very much, indeed for the generous offer to do the repairs free of charge, assuming I purchased from you folks.

Thing is, I bought directly from Aero/Scotland - before I knew Thurston Bros/Seattle existed.

My very next purchase - from Carrie and Wade - was a Dustbowl in Black Goatskin with olive drab stitching. I love it!

Again, my apologies in advance if the original post put anyone in an awkward situation.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't think any member interpreted this thread as an indictment of anyone. Buttons on any jacket can loosen or come off. As wdw pointed out, the "regular" buttons might be more secure than the "football" buttons, perhaps because of the four holes of the former instead of two holes of the latter. In any case as that great philosopher Forrest Gump said "It happens." :D

Reactions: wdw

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

Personally I would unstitch the sleeve lining or send it back, but I would not recommend any sort of nylon thread as this may eventually cut through the leather. 100% cotton threads are available, especially at craft shops.

How to tell Nylon thread from Cotton.

Take a piece of the thread and hold a lighted match or lighter flame near it. If nylon or nylon mix it should melt to a hard ball on the end. (useful to stop nylon thread fraying) If the thread is cotton it should stay as strands or smoulder slightly if flame held close enough. It should not catch fire unless held real close but if it does then flame for a bit, then go out and smoulder when lighter flame removed.
J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff