Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terror attack in Oslo, Norway

Lily Powers

Practically Family
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515
This is downright sickening, and the worst thing about it is that it wasn't all that surprising either.

I would be very appreciated if you kept us Norwegians in your prayers today..

I'm sure Norway will feel the support and prayers from people around the world. The FL has quite a few members from that part of the world, and I hope they and their loved ones are safe.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I too would like to extend my deepest sympathies to all involved in this terrible tragedy. My thoughts are with Norway today.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad they caught the/a person who appears to be responsible, and that they caught him alive. Nothing can make up for the loss of life that occured but at least there can be some justice.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
I know what the news said, but I just don't think this was one person.
I smell something here....
Sorry but I'm of the belief at times that things that used to be conspiracy theory are now conspiracy fact.
Just funny about that I guess.
Yes it's easy to blame things on one particular group because they do 90% of these types of attacks.
However I agree that more investigation must be done to determine the real attacker(s).
At the same time, prayers need to be said for those involved in this horrific attack.

Thank you for your bravery in posting this. You're not alone.

Woland

One of the Regulars
Dear friends.

Thank you for your kind words.
The general feeling here in Norway is one of limbo and disbelief.

The murderer claims to be a Temple Knight, and describes his bloody task as gruesome, but necessary.
In my opinion he is merely cloaking his pitiful failure and bloodthirst, behind a political façade.

I wonder where he be able to find honour in slaughtering 84 unarmed kids.

He now proudly declares that phase 2 in his quest is about to start; the Propaganda Phase.
And that this be the reason why he surrendered to the police, instead of using the last bullet wisely.

I am sickened...

What worries me most is the leniency within the Norwegian judicial system
A max penalty of 21 years... And that means that the undoubtedly well behaved butcher might be eligible for release after 7...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What worries me most is the leniency within the Norwegian judicial system
A max penalty of 21 years... And that means that the undoubtedly well behaved butcher might be eligible for release after 7...
This heinous event may serve as a catalyst for reforming the system.

If he was in California he would no doubt get the death penalty but he'd be on Death Row for the next 15-20 years or more before the state gets around to executing him -- if ever. And in the meantime he'd outlive the survivors of his victims. It's become such a joke that some convicted murderers here ASK for the death penalty with that in mind because accomodations are much better than that of the general population in prison.

Last edited:

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I read that he claims to be the arm of god in eradicating the muslim assault. I don't know how accurate that statement is. But he killed a lot of norwegian nationals, so my opinion is that he was just acting out in bloodlust.

On another sad note: I hear a man walked into a Dallas skating rink yesterday and shot almost a dozen people and then himself. I don't even want to turn on the news anymore.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
For what little comfort it offers, Norway does provide a method for keeping someone locked up indefinitely. From what I've been reading, if the inmate is deemed to be dangerous to society and at risk of repeating violent offenses, they can keep him locked up with reviews every five years. It's apparently rare to do so, but this guy seems to be a prime candidate.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'd say he is!
Yeah sadly Woland "life" isn't life anymore in prison. Too many people...
It's not really political (to keep that off the FL), the laws have just been watered down.
There is no deterrent these days....at least in the US.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In my opinion he is merely cloaking his pitiful failure and bloodthirst, behind a political façade.

I reckon you're right. An arrogant failure who blames the "other" for not giving him his dues (and especially attention). Now, he's got all the attention he could want: media stories and an upcoming trial. No wonder he surrendered instead of fighting it out or committing suicide. The man wants to continue being in center stage.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515
This is downright sickening, and the worst thing about it is that it wasn't all that surprising either.

I would be very appreciated if you kept us Norwegians in your prayers today..

You say not surprising. What do you mean by that?

My reaction was that it was less 9/11 and more Oklahoma City, especially after seeing what was left of the building that was attacked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy