Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanks for the memories...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
I'm watching this as a member, and I see names I respect hitting the exits, and I don't like it one bit.

Ditto...I'm not sure what's going on with the Lounge these days, but the loss of so many long-standing contributers is troubling.

MK said:
We are about to hit 3800 members. We gained 12 new members today. We are growing, not shrinking.

Perhaps "growth" should not be solely defined by the numbers...12 or 20 or 100 new members who may or may not contribute can't replace the knowledge lost when 1 or 2 long-standing members bow out - regardless of they're reasons for doing so. We're losing quality here, folks...maybe someone will step in to fill the void...maybe not. But it will be a loss nonetheless and both Rob and Marc will be sorely missed. :(

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Now that it's so late in the day I'm not sure if Wild Root or Marc will see this, but though I don't know either of you I've always enjoyed your posts. Marc, your ever-changing avatar always gave me a little laugh.

I'm sorry--and a little shocked--to see two very active and interesting members leave, but I do wish you both the best.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Johnnysan said:
Ditto...I'm not sure what's going on with the Lounge these days, but the loss of so many long-standing contributers is troubling.

That is part of life. Some relationships change and some grow. We all experience it. We walk down the road of life together and enjoy each others company...but some people move. Some change jobs. We say farewell and wish them success in their pursuits. Some stay in touch. Some return and some we never see again. Things rarely stay exactly the same with no change.

Perhaps "growth" should not be solely defined by the numbers...12 or 20 or 100 new members who may or may not contribute can't replace the knowledge lost when 1 or 2 long-standing members bow out - regardless of they're reasons for doing so. We're losing quality here, folks...maybe someone will step in to fill the void...maybe not. But it will be a loss nonetheless and both Rob and Marc will be sorely missed. :(

Agreed on numbers. Marc and Wild Root were great members and what I wrote wasn't meant to look at them as just numbers. We are all unique personalities. No one truely replaces another. I was just refuting the statement that The Fedora Lounge is shrinking.

We may see these guys again. My guess is that this is not the end of the story.;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Barbigirl said:
You will both be sorely missed.

Agreed and I could say what's been said in so many posts already. You'll be missed, but thanks for all of the great posts, input and tips, publicly and privately, from both of you good gentlemen.

Mike

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Do these names sound familiar?

Chamorro
Dakota Ellison
havershaw
Imahomer
PrettyBigGuy
Rundquist
Sergei

These are guys who were here in the very beginning. They were great members and were a major part of this joint. Some were Bartenders. Things changed in their lives and at this point in time, they are not posting here much. Some not at all. My hope is that some will return when the time is right.

My point is that most of you probably have no idea who these guys are. There were part of the core. They moved on....yet the Fedora Lounge has continued to grow and flourish. If I were to leave today and never post again, I would be missed....I hope. The bottom line is that this place would go on. I really feel that the sum is great than it's parts.

The best is yet to come....and I am looking forward to seeing what comes.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
He will be truly missed

I appreciated Wild Root's posts for his style, his knowledge and his humour.
He also had similar tastes to me therefore he had excellent taste!

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Best Posts @ FL

I'm going to miss Wildroots posts/photos here @ the FL about clothes, cars & events. Frankly he was a key person that kept the "vintage" atmosphere going here! Now he's gone! :(

MK also mentioned Havershaw, his thread about Howard Hughes Office was the #1 coolest "vintage" thread in the past year. :eusa_clap

I echo Johnnysans concerns here about the loss of these members!

SC :(

Jay

Practically Family
Solid Citizen said:
MK also mentioned Havershaw, his thread about Howard Hughes Office was the #1 coolest "vintage" thread in the past year.
I strongly concur. It's what made my planned trip to California DEFINITE. It'll 4 years in a row for me, but come on! Those pictures made my year.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Howard Hughes undercover shoot...(pure class)

Wasn't that the tops! How he blagged his way into the building and took all those fantastic shots. After reading it, it left me wanting to jump on the next plane to CA. and walk in the footsteps of HRH.

To me that sort of summed up what the Lounge is all about, people sharing their own loves and interests and by so doing they spark the interest in the rest of us.

Now, I really must go and dig out that old thread again, worth it just for the photos alone! (thanks for reminding me there gents).

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Solid Citizen said:
I'm going to miss Wildroots posts/photos here @ the FL about clothes, cars & events. Frankly he was a key person that kept the "vintage" atmosphere going here! Now he's gone! :(

MK also mentioned Havershaw, his thread about Howard Hughes Office was the #1 coolest "vintage" thread in the past year. :eusa_clap

I echo Johnnysans concerns here about the loss of these members!

SC :(

Hi Solid Citizen: I haven't posted a responce to this news as I have been mulling it over in my head for the past two days. I wholeheartedly agree that Wildroot was the key person at the FL for the real reason that we are here: to get to the "root" of the history of the era. Personally, I can clearly state, and I have done so in the past, that WR was my #1 favorite contributor. The quality of his posts, and the friendly, carefree tone he wrote in was such a breath of fresh air. I really admired and identified with how he abstained himself from all non vintage discussions. WR was extremely kind to me and my wife when we visited him last year in California.

Here we are on board the Queen Mary:

LAwithRootandMatt038.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
MK said:
Do these names sound familiar?

Chamorro
Dakota Ellison
havershaw
Imahomer
PrettyBigGuy
Rundquist
Sergei

These are guys who were here in the very beginning. They were great members and were a major part of this joint. Some were Bartenders. Things changed in their lives and at this point in time, they are not posting here much. Some not at all. My hope is that some will return when the time is right.

My point is that most of you probably have no idea who these guys are. There were part of the core. They moved on....yet the Fedora Lounge has continued to grow and flourish. If I were to leave today and never post again, I would be missed....I hope. The bottom line is that this place would go on. I really feel that the sum is great than it's parts.

The best is yet to come....and I am looking forward to seeing what comes.

MK..you have made so many wonderful points here in the past few days.I hope folks are listening.As a newcomer, i have to say that i find it a little discouraging to hear the negative remarks from what I consider to be "Senior" members.I do understand that is sad to see people leaving, and no, maybe things will never be the same.When are things ever the same?The lounge is really a wonderful snapshot of a group of people that share a passion for another place & time. But there are others.WE can't be it.And the "Snapshot" will change. But please, don't tell me that it will be any less wonderful.

Who among us has not had friends in the past that we have lost touch with, for one reason or another.We move geographically,our priorities change, but we make other friends and life is no less wonderful.

I understand that the members who have chosen to leave are the pillars of this forum for many.They shared their wealth of knowledge & insight for a long time and they will be missed. But there are many that remain, that for us newcomers ARE the pillars.We look up to you and appreciate what you have to offer.It is sad to hear, when i have just discovered this wonderful place, that its existence is really that tenuous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic