Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Actual Maltese Falcon is Up for Auction

Story

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like excuses for get-togethers in NY and LA.

Prior to the auction, there will be a preview of items for sale Oct. 22-27 at Bonhams in L.A. and in New York from Nov. 20-25.

Feraud

Bartender
This is a big deal if it actually is the screen used falcon! I will definitely be at the NY showing.

Edited to add-
Featured items include the iconic lead statuette of the Maltese Falcon from the 1941 film of the same name; the polka-dot dress worn by Joan Crawford as Mildred Pierce; John Huston's hand-written and typed draft of the screenplay for The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Steve McQueen's seamen's summer white uniform worn in The Sand Pebbles; the suit, cape and cowl worn by Michael Keaton as Batman in Batman Returns; and much more.

I'm equally excited to check out McQueen's navy uniform from The Sand Pebbles!!

Last edited:

Justin B

One Too Many
I've mentioned it before, but I'm a huge Maltese Falcon fan, and have done exhaustive research on the "Dingus" used in the movie(s). I actually own a version and have another more accurate one on order. Here's the problem with this being advertised as "Screen Used". Over the years there have been other "Screen Used" dingus' (Dingi?) that have surfaced. All of them have been researched and compared, up to and including having been laser measured...and none of them have been from the Bogart version of the film. All of them came from WB, but having been shuffled around warehouses, and used in other productions...it's next to impossible to verify that the bird they are selling is "THE" actual bird. Oddly, one of the people who has helped me in my research the most is Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame, who is both a Falcon fan and a Fedora wearer. I have yet to talk with him about this and if he knows who has authenticated the item...but I'd be most interested to know if it is in fact the on screen dingus that has finally after all these years come back to light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner