Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I agree their Ventile garments are vastly overpriced.*

I've visited the London shop a couple of times over the past year and not been at all impressed by the staff or the goods on offer.

I'll try again in light of the new stock. I was looking at the rhinohide safari jacket, thinking it might look good on a chap like me.

* With the exception of their new 'country walker' jacket, which is comparable with other UK vendors.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm afraid I don't know enough of the subject to know what "actually, for Orvis, it's not too bad..." means, is that a reference to price, looks, or durability? I've eyed other things of theirs before, some of it looks rather nice, but I've never owned anything by them.

I'm enjoying soaking up all the accumulated wisdom of this thread but I'm afraid that I'm still rather raw at some of this.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Oh, man, Brigade Quartermaster: I remember laying on the couch reading those catalogs with my dad when I was little on Saturday mornings.'

Probably damaged me for life. lol

Creeping Past

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
Orvis does some hemp garments and has just introduced a sort of sport jacket that may be of interest to 'adventure gear' fans. Actually, for Orvis, it's not too bad.
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc...oup_id=470&cat_id=8763&subcat_id=8764&scrdr=1

I tried the hemp sports jacket at the Orvis shop in Dover Street, Piccadilly, this lunch time. It was far too large round the wasit in XL, my usual size, and still wrong in L (armholes). Same with the 'rhinohide' safari jacket (but size 46 and 44).

For British and European readers, the cut was a little bit too Marks & Spencer mens leisurewear for my liking.

The linen bush shirt is a good fit in L (I'm a 46 chest).

I'm pleased to say the staff were friendly and helpful.

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Hi all. Hope this item belongs here. If not please move. This vest is made by
TAG Safari/Travel Clothing. I had been thru a couple of these vests in the past that either looked like a cheap fishing vest, or were more appropriate as a police tactical type of vest (5.11 style safari vest). Although not vintage, this vest seemed more of the correct styling than the other vests I had seen or used.

I found the TAG clothing at Bass Pro, in the fine firearms section. I am impressed with the quality, and looks. It has ample pockets inside and out.

It has been very comfortable, and seems to wear well. I think long term the durability will be good. I was not familiar with this brand prior to purchase. Does anyone else have and thoughts about this brand?

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I believe I used the phrase, and so I need to explain it. Please realise that opinions of clothing are subjective, and these are my feelings. If people are upset by them (as they often are by my opinions) I apologise in advance.

I used to be a big Orvis fan and still have old examples of their stuff, which I still rely on as 'travel wear'. In their early days, their clothing suited my size, my taste and my lifestyle. It was expensive, but I don't mind paying for what suits me and anyway I used to shop at an outlet that sold returned items at 10% - 20% of catalogue price.

Recently, however, things seem to have gone downhill, between Orvis and I. I identify four issues - Style, Price, Fit and 'Hype'. The practicality of their travel clothing for an average traveller (e.g. me) has reduced over time. Many of their styles are plain weird - I don't see the point of lime green and pink-red 'bush clothing'!

I offer the following as evidence, but some people may like this sort of thing, so it's personal:

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc..._id=8917&subcat_id=8921&Group_ID=8415&scrdr=1

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc..._id=8917&subcat_id=8918&Group_ID=8415&scrdr=1

Secondly, the price issue is, of course, affected by things like exchange rates, but unless you are buying their stuff at outlets, I think it's vastly overpriced - that's a personal thing, of course, based on percieved value and disposable wealth. Thirdly, the fit just isn't 'me'. They do offer a 30" waist in some styles but not all. The 38" jackets are huge - the overmeasure is 5"-6" on some styles. The cut now favours the more rotund male figure - not what I would expect from adventure clothing. Finally, I don't like their advertising - I wish they would make realisitic claims and comparisons and stick to them. Again, a personal thing.

Generally, their clothing is well made (usually in China etc.) and gives good service - as it should at the price - but is not competitive in terms of price IMO. For instance, their 'Newcastle' tweed trousers (woven in Scotland, made in USA) are good, but at the price I can buy better tweed trousers by a traditional tailor. I still have 6 items of theirs that I wear regularly, so I'm not condemning their whole range by any means. Unfortunately, few of these items are still in their range.

It's personal - if you like items of their stuff and can afford them, buy them. Good luck.

Viola said:
I'm afraid I don't know enough of the subject to know what "actually, for Orvis, it's not too bad..." means, is that a reference to price, looks, or durability? I've eyed other things of theirs before, some of it looks rather nice, but I've never owned anything by them.

I'm enjoying soaking up all the accumulated wisdom of this thread but I'm afraid that I'm still rather raw at some of this.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the insight and in-depth explanation, H. Johnson. I'm very much a newbie at a lot of this (especially buying vintage-style items from non-second-hand type places) and I really value good descriptions/reviews of modern stores.

Even I was the biggest fan that ever fanned for their stuff I can't see how such a thoughtful and personal-perspective review could be offensive.

That tartan patch design is certainly... vivid.

Shame they've decided not to sell men's pants in smaller waists - I rather like to occasionally wear men's cut, especially when talking about adventure wear as it seems often sturdier than the same brands' women's clothing. But if it doesn't fit in the waist (and it certainly won't in the length, I am, as my brother would say, so short I could commit suicide by jumping off a curb) I shan't bother.

Shirts/vests might work, though. Thanks for your perspective though. Good to know I'm not just suffering from post-thriftstore sticker shock. lol

Nick Charles

Practically Family
well i'll chime in now, I love Orvis stuff but the real trick is to never pay retail.You have to look hard and find sale stuff or ebay stuff. Its worth it.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
bbc1969 said:
Hi all. Hope this item belongs here. If not please move. This vest is made by
TAG Safari/Travel Clothing. I had been thru a couple of these vests in the past that either looked like a cheap fishing vest, or were more appropriate as a police tactical type of vest (5.11 style safari vest). Although not vintage, this vest seemed more of the correct styling than the other vests I had seen or used.

I found the TAG clothing at Bass Pro, in the fine firearms section. I am impressed with the quality, and looks. It has ample pockets inside and out.

It has been very comfortable, and seems to wear well. I think long term the durability will be good. I was not familiar with this brand prior to purchase. Does anyone else have and thoughts about this brand?

IMG_1140.jpg

I've recently bought a couple of items directly from Tag Safari via their web site. I'm pleased so far, but haven't owned anything long enough to really offer a firm opinion.

Before I bought from them I also looked around to see if I could find any posted opinions about the company but was never able to find anything. Finding safari clothing that's actually made in Africa does have an appeal to it though.

bbc1969

Familiar Face
NelsAnderson said:
Finding safari clothing that's actually made in Africa does have an appeal to it though.

Yes, this was a thought I had as well. I had mixed feelings about it however, when I looked close at the tag (after I got it home) and saw that it was made in Zimbabwe. But as far as a garment goes it seems to be well constructed.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
hey y'all

just wanted to introduce my self, and this thread seamed like the right place (as it was this thread that made me join). So yeah I'm Alexi from boston and I'm interested in wool, leather and waxed cotton garments. I'm not that interested in being period correct, but am working on being a horrible old man.

winter adventuring!
3211639264_c5971668d5_b.jpg

3254379134_b64ee65f95_b.jpg

3343829891_21df5dccb3_b.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Alexi said:
just wanted to introduce my self, and this thread seamed like the right place (as it was this thread that made me join). So yeah I'm Alexi from boston and I'm interested in wool, leather and waxed cotton garments. I'm not that interested in being period correct, but am working on being a horrible old man.

winter adventuring!
Nice looking gear, Alexi, but what is all that awful white stuff all over the ground?! Looks like horrible stuff!

Here's my latest piece of adventure gear:

Willyssm.jpg

It's a '48 CJ2A, mostly....

Under the hood it has a Ford 289 with headers, dual exhaust,and a Holley 650 4-barrel. It's built for power, not speed, though, and this thing will crawl up and over a house. First gear is a granny gear, and 4th gear is a 21% overdrive, so it gets down the highway pretty well, too. In low range it will just about climb straight up a wall. For those Willys fans out there, yes, that's a CJ3A windshield. It has a pretty much bullet-proof Dana 44s front and rear, with Warn manual lockers in the front. Right now I'm running the 27" tires on it, but am trying to decide between a couple sets of 31s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy