Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Burton said:
I am not too impressed with the WPG stuff as what I have bought was such low quality. It was fine for costume usage but I would never really take it anywhere that mattered. Looks fine in photos though.

May I ask for specifics? Which items were these, just for reference? I've heard that some of the boots aren't so durable, but have heard good things about many other items.

I've had a couple of great items from WPG, including an Aertex shirt and a wool pullover shirt that I've been wearing frequently since I got it 2 years ago, and it's doing fine whether on a hike or around town.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
May I ask for specifics? Which items were these, just for reference?
Agreed. Details would be helpful for reference.

I have purchased a number of WPG items. The mae west life vest is very well made, albeit nonfunctional but I knew that upon purchase. As for their M1940 cavalry boots, they were way too tall (unless you have lower legs like a giraffe), the leather was flimsy and did not seem durable, and the russet finish was thin and easily scratched. Their cotton web belts are like any other. I also own one of their British KD belted bush jackets. As I have indicated in other threads, this jacket is my favorite safari jacket. It fits great, looks great, and is made of extremely durable cotton twill that actually stands up to wear & tear afield.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I had the most concern with a pair of WWII trousers that I purchased that had buttons poorly sewn on losing one immediately. In general they were poorly made and there were also couple of small waist adjustment straps of which one came off while I was in transit from Jordan to Iraq. Not a great place to have ones trousers fall off. I really liked the style though and had a tailor reinforce them.

I dont mean to be overly critical of WPG but have looked at other items sold by them such as their boots and feel you probably get what you pay for.

I prefer Willis & Geiger for about everything clothes wise and while its no longer manufactured there is still plenty of it around.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi gang,

I've had- and seen- a few things from WPG. The cotton stuff is usually pretty durable, but the wool items and boots weren't so great.

I am curious about their KD officer's trousers. Anyone know if they're wide-legged ? They're pleated so I'd think the legs are fairly full.

Baggers, I REALLY like your look! So you're happy with the WPG breeches??

Clint

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
My breeches and boots as previously posted are from WPG. The boots are ok for now. Although I do think that one day they will be replaced with something of higher quality. However I find that the breeches are well made and very comfortable.

Burton

One of the Regulars
The point I was trying to make is that I really did like the WPG style but if you are looking for clothing that will really stand up to abuse the WPG is not really the way to go. I believe this thread was about adventurers gear and I must admit for the really tough stuff, real expedition situations I will wear modern fast drying nylon mixtures and some 100% cotton clothing that will be destroyed.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Burton said:
The point I was trying to make is that I really did like the WPG style but if you are looking for clothing that will really stand up to abuse the WPG is not really the way to go. I believe this thread was about adventurers gear and I must admit for the really tough stuff, real expedition situations I will wear modern fast drying nylon mixtures and some 100% cotton clothing that will be destroyed.

Interesting that many people have their limits regarding vintage and vintage-inspired clothing. This comes out regularly in threads involving clothes used for adventuring to greater and lesser degrees.

It usually ends up with a split between those who regard old-style kit and fabrics as a potential danger and those FL members who prefer wearing that kind of thing — and we're not talking about daytrippers climbing mountains in flip-flops, but serious-minded people who know what they're doing and choose to wear clothing appropriate for the prevailing conditions.

And it always ends up with unnatural fibres being held up as the only possible type of clothing, versus outfits made from natural fibres, which are portrayed as the stuff of whimsy.

I can't speak for the rest of its stuff, but my WPG wool shirt has done 100s of miles hillwalking with me, under the strain of a heavy rucksack and gallons of sweat, and it's still going. So we can say that this piece of repro clothing (WPG as it happens) does the job fine and stands up to abuse.

Horses for courses, as they say. And it's all a matter of personal choice. But those stinky unnatural fibres... ;)

Creeping Past said:
And it always ends up with unnatural fibres being held up as the only possible type of clothing, versus outfits made from natural fibres, which are portrayed as the stuff of whimsy. Horses for courses, as they say. And it's all a matter of personal choice. But those stinky unnatural fibres... ;)

Cotton can kill you when it comes to hypothermia, but wool is warm even when wet.;)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I'm reminded of a show in the History Channel, where they compared Viking clothing, and modern High-speed, Low-drag, materials. They found that the viking stuff was just as good. Kept you just as warm. Though you probably wouldn't want to wear fish oil soaked leather.

I think natural fibers work just as well, though they will be bulkier, and heavier, than newer materials. I guess, if you are pushing the limits of your endurance, then lighter weight and less bulk would make the difference. On the other hand. They managed to climb Everest, without Gore-Tex.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I just ordered this Digger hat from WPG. I'm really looking forward to pushing this one around in the desert - it's such an awesome, iconic piece of clothing (and history!)

After hearing about your guys' experiences with WPG's quality, I'm glad this product has been left in the hands of Akubra - I trust them, that's for sure!

And if you truly get what you pay for...then there's no need for me to worry.... :/

Mike K.

One Too Many
Well let's see...for nearly 3.5 million years humankind has been making use of natural textiles and hides for clothing & shelter, yet nylon has only been around since 1935. I'd say there's something to be learned from that.

There is this prevailing argument that cotton kills when wet, but synthetic materials can be just as dangerous. Maybe they don't retain as much moisture as cotton, but from personal expedition experience synthetic textiles can still remain damp enough for long enough to cause problems in cold weather conditions.

Why do I stick with good old-fashioned cotton, linen, and other natural fibers? Simple...I am a tropical explorer/biologist by profession. Nothing is worse in wet jungles & swamps than Goretex or any other waterproof-breathable textiles. All of these wonder fabrics rely on a temperature differential between body and environment to maintain breathability while repelling water. It's a trade-off...the more waterproof, the less breathable and vice versa. Unless it is very cold, Goretex does not work any better than a garbage bag and you end up getting drenched from your own perspiration. In a tropical climate, this happens in a matter of minutes. Goretex (or other waterproof-breathable) boots are even worse. They are hot, do not allow your feet to breathe, and heaven forbid that any water gets inside from wading through a stream because that water inside the boot will not drain out (unless you remove your boots and dump 'em). Now obviously hypothermia is not much of a concern in the tropics (but it can happen); however, heat stress and fungus are some things to worry about. I tried Goretex in the jungle once and will never do it again. I learned from the old jungle explorers that the best way to go is with lightweight cotton/linen clothing and a simple umbrella.

Kazimierz_Nowak_in_jungle_2.jpg

Creeping Past said:
In my view it's more a mantra or a memorable, repeatable catchphrase than an argument. :)

And yes to the rest of your post.

If I recall right all it takes for hypothermia to set in when wearing wet cotton is a change to drop temps in the 60's farenheit or in the low 70's with windy conditions. At those temps the problem is that people do not recognize the dangers. I also seem to recall that scuba divers even in "warm" waters one has to limit the time in the water as it sucks your body heat out and you can become exhausted from that.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
If I recall right all it takes for hypothermia to set in when wearing wet cotton is a change to drop temps in the 60's farenheit or in the low 70's with windy conditions. At those temps the problem is that people do not recognize the dangers. I also seem to recall that scuba divers even in "warm" waters one has to limit the time in the water as it sucks your body heat out and you can become exhausted from that.

People need to educate themselves and be educated about dangers.

I'm not poo-pooing attempts to spread the word about safety, but the way a mantra can be used to allow people to turn their brains off. ;)

Yes, you risk injury and death if you wear unsuitable clothing for the prevailing circumstances. I understand the reasoning behind 'cotton kills' -- don't wear cotton next to the skin because it'll wick the heat out of you -- I just don't like to hear that mantra repeated back to me in the context of discussions where its inappropriate. For instance, wearing cotton as an outer layer in cold snowy conditions is a good idea: see here for the Canadian experience and here for an Antarctic option.

As a young swimmer I learnt that it was important not to spend all day in the water, for the reason you mention, among others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass