Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I don't car camp much, I mainly backpack and canoe. As such I need lighter gear so canvas tents are out as the weight is too much. For the times I do car camp, I would love a canvas tent, but can't justify the cost as the ones I want are very spendy. My winter gear is more traditional since I'm usually pulling this on a sled and weight and bulk aren't quite so important.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
My family always used an old canvas tent for events we attended with a recreation group (not Golden Era.) After that vintage one died they have since acquired a new (and larger one.) I love them because they feel more substantial and keep a lot of noise out (more like a home.) They also seem warmer to me. They are without a doubt cumbersome. And you MUST keep them maintained as they do not dry easily and should be cleaned with regularity and treated to keep them impermeable.

On another note, my husband and I "inherited" an authentic cowboy bedroll - it is canvas and will be refurbishing it and using it for Jeep camping this summer. I will potentially post pictures and a review if there is any interest. (Also , have acquired surplus rucksacks in salt and pepper canvas with leather straps. Will be curious to see how these function for our day hike kits.)

By the way, nobodyspecial and adamjaskie, we have been able to find modern tents in non-glaring and obnoxious colors recently - so for weight issues and packability if you are willing to look you might be able to find something more pleasing to your eye. Hope that is of any value to your question.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
an authentic cowboy bedroll

I'd really like to see how that turned out. Photos, please!

Mrs. Merl said:
surplus rucksacks in salt and pepper canvas with leather straps.

I use a Swiss ruck - I assume yours are Swiss, too - for 10 to 15 mile hikes and find it pretty good all round: not so sweaty as nylon, but the straps are less comfortable. I've not yet got round to fixing sheepskin under the straps, but that seems to me to be a possible skin-saving device. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Mrs. Merl said:
I will potentially post pictures and a review if there is any interest. (Also , have acquired surplus rucksacks in salt and pepper canvas with leather straps. Will be curious to see how these function for our day hike kits.)

I have interest. I think you will like the rucksacks, I loved mine. I used it daily throughout high school as well as for various backpacking adventures in the state parks around here.

-Dave

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Great thoughts! I am happy to hear from someone who used one. Yes, ours are Swiss I couldn't pass them up at the surplus store they were so great with the leather and such. I was definitely wondering about comfort, given the leather straps. The sheep skin idea is a keeper - I will see if I can rig something up.

I will start a photo journal of the bedroll project and post anything interesting! Does anyone have suggestions for padding - we were intending to use a foam of some sort but are open to suggestions. (Sorry if that is off topic!)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Absolutely - or anywhere you may suggest that it would be particularly appropriate. I hate to clutter the Adventure Gear thread as it is quite a monstrosity already though.

Mike K.

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
"The Great Outdoors"
From Safari, to Skiing, to Walking, it's all here.
I especially like that one BT...concise, informative, all-encompassing! :eusa_clap

It doesn't detract any from the principal theme of the Fedora Lounge, in fact it even opens up opportunities for discussion on other outdoor pursuits and spectator events of the Golden Era. Also, it clearly distinguishes the broad topics of the old Adventure Gear Thread as something other than "general attire" or "accounterments" (like cuff links, watches, purses, and hankies).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I certainly don't mind if you continue to post here. I'm interested in the topic and perhaps someone can give me some leads on what I was looking for in my original post.

This seems to have turned into a thread on camping, when that was really just an aside to begin with.

Nevertheless, I don't mind. I find it fascinating how threads (like realtime conversations) grow organically.

-Dave

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I've camped with just a wool blanket bedroll a couple of times. Mostly in cabins and under tarps though, never under the completely open sunshine, and never for more than one night. Always wanted to go out and rough it sometime though...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well, it gets us a breather from that sweaty Steamer Trunk and away from the prying eyes of the Observation Lounge and also gives the Ladies a chance to exit the Powder Room.

It kinda fits the list of existing forum names.

Break out the Khaki!
Some new vintage Khaki gear on the way to me next week!

B
T

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm going on a big camping trip/ adventuring road trip soon with some of my friends, and am starting to get some old style gear together for myself. I just won there.

aa05_1.jpg
b234_1.jpg
b8f7_1.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kodiak said:
I've camped with just a wool blanket bedroll a couple of times. Mostly in cabins and under tarps though, never under the completely open sunshine, and never for more than one night. Always wanted to go out and rough it sometime though...

It's better when it rains, because then you are too busy being wet to mind the cold.

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff