Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Someone did mention Tennis and question where such a post should be placed. I don't believe there's another forum here for that type of activity to be logically, or usefully placed. It's the same for many posts- not in/under a logical or useful forum heading.
As it stands, the relationship between forum names and the post within, is a little dysfunctional, due to the naming and peoples' understanding of them.

Carebear is right- tennis doesn't fit into this thread...
BUT it's not about THIS THREAD, it's about an extra/new Forum/Room at the Lounge to suit a wide range of outdoor exploits- one where this thread could be placed- at least that's the idea I got from recent postings, a forum in which this thread COULD be painstakingly dismantled and reorganised into specific topics/threads. It makes sense to me.

So- if there was a new Forum here, entitled, for instance
"The Great Outdoors"... we could talk about... vintage hiking, safari, kayaking, tennis golf, even croquet! Picnic?

I thought this was the idea- a broader forum name/topic in which all outdoor exploits could fall. It would definitely make such things easier to look for, forum-wise.

Where you gonna look for vintage Kayaking...? "The Powder Room"..?

And-

Mike K. said:
I especially like that one BT...concise, informative, all-encompassing! :eusa_clap

It doesn't detract any from the principal theme of the Fedora Lounge, in fact it even opens up opportunities for discussion on other outdoor pursuits and spectator events of the Golden Era. Also, it clearly distinguishes the broad topics of the old Adventure Gear Thread as something other than "general attire" or "accounterments" (like cuff links, watches, purses, and hankies).

B
T

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That explanation makes sense BT.

If it is going to be that broad though, is "The Great Outdoors" still the most apropos?

Not to toot my own horn but that off-the-cuff "The Sporting Life" or something similar might be the more descriptive if we want to separate "activity" clothes from daily wear.

Then the threads can contain the various sub-categories for different stuff.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
That explanation makes sense BT.

If it is going to be that broad though, is "The Great Outdoors" still the most apropos?

Not to toot my own horn but that off-the-cuff "The Sporting Life" or something similar might be the more descriptive if we want to separate "activity" clothes from daily wear.

Then the threads can contain the various sub-categories for different stuff.

Hi Carebear.

"The Great Outdoors" was just a concept- to broaden things a little and try and get the word, "Adventure" out of our heads.
"The Sporting Life", however suitable sounding, rings of Horse racing.
Maybe that's my English side. Although, I think "Sporting" is still too restrictive. But then again, "The Great Outdoors" seems like it may describe a very wide topic spectrum. I guess we'll never know, without he gift of retrospectacles.

The actual, final name is not so important to me, as long as it's getting across the concept of what the forum actually contains.

Who said we were talking about clothes?

I do like the sound of "The Great Outdoors", though.

B
T

carebear

BT-

I do like the concept, and I too don't really care about the name.

It just seems to me the concept needs to be defined first and the name chosen to reflect that concept.

The original thread source, thus concept, was activity-specific "Adventure Gear". I'm using clothes and gear interchangeably since much of the AG thread has been what to wear while doing an activity vice simply what to bring/use as gear.

"The Great Outdoors" fits that activity range very well.

If, however, we're going to add in sports like tennis, softball, etc. then that name is no longer particularly descriptive.

"The Great Outdoors" references wildness, getting away from man and all his works. Tennis and other sports have no connection to that world. True, they are activities performed outside, but not in "The Great Outdoors".

Given the range of existing sub-forums, if I were new to the Lounge and looking for, say, vintage tennis or baseball or even dressage gear (or clothes) I wouldn't think to look first in "The Great Outdoors" as that screams fishing and hiking and getting away from it all. I'd check "General Attire".

Maybe it's a personal or cultural take on the term "The Great Outdoors". [huh]

Kodiak

A-List Customer
This is turning into an interesting debate but...

It's not really relevant. As of now, I have heard no real yea or nay from the Man in Charge on whether this board will actually happen or not.

Possibly the most intelligent thing for all of us to do would be to stop debating this here, wait for the new subforum to be created with a general name, and then ask for member input on what the name should be changed to.

We could start out with something like "Unnamed Subforum for the Discussion of Strenous and Semi-Strenous Activities" and then make a poll within the subforum. People suggest ideas and vote on them. When a clear winner is chosen, the name is changed, whether it is "The Sporting Life", "The Great Outdoors", "The Adventure Outpost" or "Named Subforum for the Discussion of Strenous and Semi-Strenous Activities".

It really is irrelevant for us to argue over a forum that is not yet even in creation while slowly taking this thread way off-topic.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
"The Great Outdoors", in the context of this Fedora Lounge, is a very loaded phrase.
It is the relief from all the "rooms".
We can get "outdoors".
And it's about outdoor activities- or even JUST the scenery, or life on the farm...

Kodiak, if you don't wish to discuss it, then please feel free to "don't".
It seems a little silly to tell us what is intelligent, without reading all the posts and understanding what is actually being discussed.

Its not really about the name- "how to" is where it's at.

B
T

carebear

BellyTank said:
"The Great Outdoors", in the context of this Fedora Lounge, is a very loaded phrase. It is the relief from all the "rooms". We can get "outdoors". And it's about outdoor activities.

Kodiak, if you don't wish to discuss it, then please feel free to "don't".

Its not really about the name- "how to" is where it's at.

B
T.

That makes your reasoning clear.

Outdoors versus rooms.

Very insightful and a very subtle thought. Can't argue with that.

Put me down in "The Great Outdoors" column.

:eusa_clap .

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Carebear- I'm as subtle as a bag of hammers- you're just reading with your good ear closed.

If you-all go back and read the earlier posts, you'll see that I'm just re-irritating in these last few.... I mean iterating.

Thanks for participating in this discussion.

I actually have some new khaki goods to display shortly...
... so we can have some Adventuring/outdoorsing content.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Kodiak said:
It's not really relevant. As of now, I have heard no real yea or nay from the Man in Charge on whether this board will actually happen or not.

Well... the Bartenders ARE listening. They do that.
Carebear and I are free to discuss this topic, it is a free internet- we spend much time in this forum and offer our information and opinions. I have put a lot of time and effort in here, as have many others, you included, of course. If our opinions are written here, then they can be perused, duly noted and immediately ignored by the Bartenders. If we were to discuss this on the 'phone, would you be writing a transcript for us?

***This THREAD is a FORUM in its own right, without being a FORUM.
Having "it" made into a FORUM, or, a forum based around the concept and content of it, would make it a lot more useful, and index-able.
There IS a lot of valuable information and many worthy images in this immense thread. We could make it a lot more useful.

Of course, this encyclopædia of Vintage Outings is currently tucked away in the "General Attire & Accouterments" forum, along with such other heady topics as, "Shrinking cotton gloves", "Pocket Lint" and "Japanese makie fountain pen".

I'm sure many are missing out or underestimating this thread by its apparent lack of place and importance,

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Well... the Bartenders ARE listening.

[...]

***This THREAD is a FORUM in its own right, without being a FORUM.
Having "it" made into a FORUM, or, a forum based around the concept and content of it, would make it a lot more useful, and index-able.
There IS a lot of valuable information and many worthy images in this immense thread. We could make it a lot more useful.

[...]

I'm sure many are missing out or underestimating this thread by its apparent lack of place and importance,

B
T

One of the reasons I joined FL was to participate in the discussions on outdoors clothing/style. As a consequence of this, I've become more interested in the general debate about other areas of vintage style. One thing led to another...

So although conversations about outdoors stuff are inextricably linked with the general themes of FL, I think they're distinct enough to warrant their own spacious forum — let's leave the pocket lint and other specific details inside in a room — that'll allow people to gain access more easily to what's becoming a really useful and unique resource.

As Belly Tank says, we should not forget the vital 'how to' element of assembling vintage kit. An essential part of that is intelligent conversation... lots of it. That's what it's all about. And whatever stage we're at in the development of a new outdoors-type forum, let's not stop talking about how to — including how to differentiate outdoors-themed stuff from talk about more general style points.

CP

Edit: Starting from the premise that discussions will be about "Strenous and Semi-Strenous Activities" is tricky, because it seems to imply a strict separation between clothes and the activities they're designed for. What of style? What about those who enjoy collecting and wearing outdoors gear but don't use it even semi-strenuously? Again, I reckon we need to stay focused on the 'how to' element.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past-

I kind of meant "how to" deal with the concept of a new forum, rather than just naming it- naming it and the "name" itself is very loaded, if we consider that the forum/room name may include, or exclude topics, due to that actual name.

What you say is true enough, though.

B
T

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Seams to be more talk about new forums than about adventure gear.

Im thinking a forum on new forums would be a better bet when it comes to number of posts that would be made.

My linen Suit that takes all the punishment from business to camp-outs.
l_e57964f1dc8de7040bbdd60c9a9e9796.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'll even go out on a long, leafy limb and say it's a bit of a glib, cheap, smart-y-pants response.

Didn't he used to be a Bartender..?

Annoying maybe, for some readers, considering the context of this whole thing and the FACT that it IS the kind of thing that's likely to be considered by those on high, given local precedents.

But... you gets what you pays for...
Yup... yup... yup... yup.;)

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
What happened to this post..?

Mark G said:
Originally Posted by Matt Deckard

Im thinking a forum on new forums would be a better bet when it comes to number of posts that would be made.

Seems kinda harsh considering there were more than 100 pages of pretty good info on all kinds of "Adventure's Gear".
****************************************************************************************

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Creeping Past-

I kind of meant "how to" deal with the concept of a new forum, rather than just naming it- naming it and the "name" itself is very loaded, if we consider that the forum/room name may include, or exclude topics, due to that actual name.

What you say is true enough, though.

B
T

Many apologies, BellyTank. Not the first time I've overlooked the obvious and leapt to conclusions. Nevertheless, I leapt having dug your sentiment...

carebear

Matt Deckard said:

l_e57964f1dc8de7040bbdd60c9a9e9796.jpg

I like that pipe Matt, a lot.

And the suit too of course. Though I have to say, if you are wearing that to camp outs, you aren't camping hard enough. :D

Or else I've been doing it wrong. ;)

How easy is it to get blood out of linen? Because that's a camping clothes issue for my clumsy self. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR