Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The Japanese Army wore tropical helmets, although quite different from this civilian model.
"Colonial" use, maybe.

Your example is cloth covered straw, rather than "pith".

Difficult to date, without much knowledge of Japanese history.
But having English text inside, 1930s, maybe...

Here is my favourite Pith Helmet:

DSCN3601.jpg

Made in Delhi, for the British- early '30s.

B
T

tonypaj

Practically Family
Kodiak said:
I've camped with just a wool blanket bedroll a couple of times. Mostly in cabins and under tarps though, never under the completely open sunshine, and never for more than one night. Always wanted to go out and rough it sometime though...

Army stories... I had to do my military service and part of it was to be in the woods, in fact a big part of it (in my country of birth we concentrate on guerilla war, in the woods, from the woods, hit and run...). Anyway, at times we slept in tents (yes, canvas, heavy, nasty, but waterproof), at times in caves, at times under a tree, the worst was about 0 degrees centigrade, no tent, wearing a long coat, under a tree, and it was raining and snowing. After the army stuff I have tried to leave the tents and like to others who are more deserving. I prefer hotels... But then again when I lived in Africa, there weren't always hotels to come by. But that's another story...

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
tonypaj said:
Army stories... I had to do my military service and part of it was to be in the woods, in fact a big part of it (in my country of birth we concentrate on guerilla war, in the woods, from the woods, hit and run...). Anyway, at times we slept in tents (yes, canvas, heavy, nasty, but waterproof), at times in caves, at times under a tree, the worst was about 0 degrees centigrade, no tent, wearing a long coat, under a tree, and it was raining and snowing. After the army stuff I have tried to leave the tents and like to others who are more deserving. I prefer hotels... But then again when I lived in Africa, there weren't always hotels to come by. But that's another story...

Also from military experience; when it's wet, cold, or both, you don't want canvas, you want goretex. And a hotel.
But as the hotel's probably not going to happen, you'll want goretex, especially when you have to carry your stuff on your back. And then you don't want a canvas rucksack, but a modern, light, waterproof one.
It won't look nice, but it won't break your back.
That said, it makes me respect the guys who didn't have goretex and nylon but had to rely on canvas and wool even more!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
A bit of clarification concerning my bedroll experiences...

1. The cabins weren't really what you might think of at first. The one that jumps to mind is one that a buddy made himself. Lets just say it was somewhat rough. Obviously better than nothing though.

2. I have slept out in the rain several times. In fact, most of the times I go camping have ended with pretty good showers from Mother Nature. And no, cold is not fun, but that is why we build fires :D

When handled right Canvas can stand up to some pretty horrendous weather. Key point, never touch the inside of the tent when it is raining.

Cabelas has cabin tents and outfitters tents that look the part of the old timely camp.

I have been car (truck) camping and tend to enjoy it but it has been ages.

We used to go shooting, dirt bike riding and camping outside Adelanto (off the 395) but now there are houses where we used to go!

It was neat, near Edwards afb and another base, and you would occassionaly find 50 cal bmg unfired from WWII or a little later on the ground. We were told the bomber gunners would practice and sometime toss some out on the way back from the practice runs.

Cold weather camping is not my favorite, I got sick one time in the winter in the Adirondaks when the temp dropped to about zero at night. That was uncomfortable.

Up by San Luis Obispo we (car) camped at one of the parks with a lake and that was fun, Lake Lopez or is it Lopez Lake? Anyway there was a good sized groupe of us and we got the end section of sites (with bathroom!) and that was great. We were coming from the beer fest the local hospice had and I can tell you the snoring that evening was widespread in our section.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I grew up camping in a small canvas pup tent. My folks had a camper and the other family we camped with did to. Their son, my age and I always camped in the tent. Many a rainy wet night :)

I'll opt for the newer tents. While the other is nostalgic... I'll opt for comfort and dry :)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Les Gillis said:
I'd think any sort of period low boot would work.

I just got a call that my leggings arrived at my office. I'll let you know how they look when I finally get to see them.

Les

Hello Les,

Just wondering if you've had a chance to wear the leggings. How do they look/fit/feel? I'd like to know as I'm thinking of getting a pair myself.

CP

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Vintage influence in modern outdoors clothing

I've just noticed on the excellent Tamarack Outdoors site a wool shirt, made by Bailo (scroll down the page to the second image), an Italian maker.

Although it's clearly a more stylish take on Swanndri's wool shirts, the interesting thing, for me at least, is the 3-pocket arrangement on the front, like on the front of a Gebirgsjäger anorak. Was this pocket arrangement originally an Italian Alpine detail adopted/shared by the Germans? Is this manufacturer taking inspiration from current repros or reverting to a traditional style of garment/detailing? I've searched briefly for Bailo and all I've discovered is that they make hunting and other outdoors gear. The Bailo website is a little light on detail.

Any thoughts? Any other examples of vintage 'reappearances' in current outdoors kit that I've missed out on?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Vintage Sports?

Who mentioned that?

I thought maybe vintage adventure sports (ie kayaking, SCUBA diving, rock climbing/mountaineering, safari, sailing, etc etc etc), but never anything like tennis, basketball, cricket, or anything along those lines.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought this was going to be an adventure board (if it happens to be created, which has yet to be decided [huh] ).

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Kodiak said:
Who mentioned that?

I thought maybe vintage adventure sports (ie kayaking, SCUBA diving, rock climbing/mountaineering, safari, sailing, etc etc etc), but never anything like tennis, basketball, cricket, or anything along those lines.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought this was going to be an adventure board (if it happens to be created, which has yet to be decided [huh] ).

Previous contributions to the thread have dealt with vintage style in respect of skiing and various other sporting subjects, if I remember right.

Fair point though. Where should that fine line between sport and adventure be drawn? I'll throw in my 10c/10p right now and suggest the line be drawn at croquet.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I think there's a pretty big gap between even skiing and some of the more typical sports...

I just don't think we really want to turn this into a board for discussion of vintage horse racing and golf.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought the ski clothing and such was presented in the context of getting out in the woods doing cross-country and things.

Skiing as an outdoor woods activity or more on point, as a means of getting out to winter camp, sightsee, bird or hunt.

Tennis and anything played on a pitch, indoor or nominally outdoor, bear zero relation to the the context of this thread.

Canoeing/kayaking - yes. Vintage bathing suits for pool or shore - no.

Telemarking a hill as part of of a cross-country trip - yes. Downhill skiing at a resort - no.

Cross-country skiing to get out in the woods - yes. Cross-country on groomed trails for racing - no.

The line's pretty easy to see on a case by case basis. If there's landscaping, competition or points involved, it doesn't belong in the thread.

"The Great Outdoors" - yes. "The Sporting Life" - no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR