Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
citRon said:
My normal carry is a Colt Lightweight Commander .45 with a few 'tweaks'. Usually carried in an inside the pants holster. The single action 1911's and the .45 auto round is just about perfect in my book.
Every so often I'll carry a Colt Cobra .38 in an ankle holster. It's a six shot lightweight framed 'snub nose' revolver.
I'm a revolver man myself.Usually carry a pair of post war M&P's.A 6" and a 2".Though a 1911 GM is on my short .In either 45acp or 38 super.As far as long guns go I am keeping my eye out for a used 1895 marlin.And if ever I win the lotto an Auto Ordinance semi-auto Thompson.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Scotrace, just out of curiousity, is "OFAS" not allowed anymore? I saw the thread about it but never read into it...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Curt Dawson said:
I'm a revolver man myself.Usually carry a pair of post war M&P's.A 6" and a 2".Though a 1911 GM is on my short .In either 45acp or 38 super.As far as long guns go I am keeping my eye out for a used 1895 marlin.And if ever I win the lotto an Auto Ordinance semi-auto Thompson.
If you win the Lotto, get your class III and get the full auto version!

I have a bit of a pre-disposition towards wheel guns myself; my Model 10 (4") is one of the sweetest guns I own or have owned. Smooth, reliable, and cheap to shoot. My wife loves her S&W Airweight, too, though it's only a five-shot vs. your Cobra's 6.

Still, my Commander is a lot of fun. Twice the weight of my Model 10, but twice the punch, too.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Passports

Mojave Jack-

You either missed it in my last post or you ignored it completely... :p

But how's it going on those "Adventure Passports" we where talking about during the QM dinner?

-JX

Yorker

New in Town
Recently I have been on a revolver kick- the latest one is the pre-victory model that is in my avatar. I really like the pre WWII S&Ws...

I have a friend who does some fabulous leather work and I am trying to get him to make me up some vintage style flap holsters. Too many pistols and too few proper holsters for them...

this 1914 really needs a nice flap holster:
m-1914.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Julius Xavier said:
Mojave Jack-

You either missed it in my last post or you ignored it completely... :p

But how's it going on those "Adventure Passports" we where talking about during the QM dinner?

-JX
Whoops! Sorry, JX! Didn't mean to blow you off. Actually, I haven't done much with them at all since, umm, last January. :whistling

What I had started to do was to fill out the fields, then print the pages on a really high quality laser printer so the graphics would be really sharp. Unfortunately you can't save the passport file with your info typed in, but when you are ready to print the pages, just replace all of the typed text with your own information (with whatever alias you want, of course)

Then I tried running those printed pages through my inkjet to put the stamps on them. I sent you the stamp files, didn't I? I clipped a bunch out and turned them into transparent gifs (and turned them a little so they wouldn't print exactly straight). The inkjet makes them look a bit more like actual stamps. That's about as far as I got.

I tried to find one of those things that clips the corner round, but the craft store I went to only had fancy corners, no plain rounded corners. I haven't tried to find one since.

I also have a fountain pen to hand write in all the info on the inside of the cover, but my writing is so bad I want to find someone that can reproduce a more convincing handwriting from that era to fill it in for me. There are a couple of visas that must be pasted in, but other than that, that's pretty much all there is to it. I just haven't had much time for it, though I do have the pages printed around here somewhere!

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Yorker said:
Recently I have been on a revolver kick- the latest one is the pre-victory model that is in my avatar. I really like the pre WWII S&Ws...

I have a friend who does some fabulous leather work and I am trying to get him to make me up some vintage style flap holsters. Too many pistols and too few proper holsters for them...

this 1914 really needs a nice flap holster:
m-1914.jpg
Check El Paso Saddelery.I believe they have what you are looking for.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
C'mon Jack get with it! :p
That dissertation can wait a little longer, right? lol
lol Too true! I was just trying to set up some meetings to visit some consultants and some sites. Now that the holidays are over I need to redouble my efforts to get moving ahead. The clock is ticking!

On a side note, I just got the Village Hat Shop French Pith Helmet in the mail today. It is huge! The brim is 2-3/4", which doesn't sound wide, but the crown is relatively low. It also sticks out from your head at least another 2/3", making the brim seem even wider. I got this model because it has the best suspension I've seen, and it is darn comfortable.

medium_FrenchPith2.jpg

I really wish I could pull this off out in the field, because this thing is really comfortable, light as a feather, and doesn't slip down over my ears when I get hot. It has the suspension that includes two cross straps in the crown, with a loop at the top so you can adjust how high the helmet sits on your head. Why did these things go out of fashion?! They're great!

The down side is that I think they used the same cheap plastic to line the sweatband, and which became brittle and fell apart on my last pith. On the other hand, they're so cheap they're almost disposable!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've thought about trying that, but with no sewing machine (or any real sewing skills!), it'd be difficult for me. Probably pretty easy for someone that knows what they're doing. I saved the sweatband and everything for a long time, but after about two years of sitting there with no suspension, I just tossed it.

I wanted this helmet, anyway, because I've been wanting one in white. It's just so big!

I just encountered in a charity shop, for the first time in quite a while, a pair of reproduction "Ghurka" shorts. Oh dear me. What a shambles. All the features were there, but the dimensions were simply abysmal. And the cotton! Don't even get me started.

I've always wondered why they can't get the waistband right.

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I was in a surplus shop last Friday and found a pair of very good reproduction 1950 pattern KD shorts. Too good, in fact. The antiqued 'bronze' buckles looked as if they had been made by Gucci and the cross-belts had matching eyelets. They were beautifully made in a good KD and were accurate in every detail. The label identified them as 'Shorts Anglais' and had a circled 'P' with wings as a logo. French, then.

Silverman's has good repro 1950 pattern KD shorts and l1950 pattern KD long trousers, by the way. They were (last time I checked) between 20 and 30 GBP and they have large sizes.

Alan

Baron Kurtz said:
I just encountered in a charity shop, for the first time in quite a while, a pair of reproduction "Ghurka" shorts. Oh dear me. What a shambles. All the features were there, but the dimensions were simply abysmal. And the cotton! Don't even get me started.

I've always wondered why they can't get the waistband right.

bk

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
Jack that helmut looks big, because you too damn skinny.
lol Maybe! I look like a mushroom in it!

On a separate note, anybody know a good source for the P37 binocular case? Doesn't have to be WWII dates, but preferably one that hasn't been blancoed to death. I've been hunting for some time, and it seems like when I wasn't looking for one they were everywhere!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Soldier of Fortune has 'em. And I would try Silverman's. I was in Springfields last Friday and they had one on the wall, but I don't think it's on their website. The postwar ones are idetical except for the Parkerised (rather than brass) fittings. You can easily put this right.

Alan

Mojave Jack said:
lol Maybe! I look like a mushroom in it!

On a separate note, anybody know a good source for the P37 binocular case? Doesn't have to be WWII dates, but preferably one that hasn't been blancoed to death. I've been hunting for some time, and it seems like when I wasn't looking for one they were everywhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy