Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
Where are the gaiters?

Gaiters seem to be a standard. I remember seeing an old photo of my great-grandfather wearing leather gaiters when they were building the Hoover Dam. I've always liked them! Does anyone know of a source for them?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Lawrance Ordnance carries some, but I don't know anyone that actually has a pair.

leggings.gif

I'd love to hear a review, because they're something I've considered many times.

They also carry the boots to match.

boots.gif

Identical to those worn by Professor Challenger! ;)

Mike K.

One Too Many
LordJohnRoxton said:
Gaiters seem to be a standard. I remember seeing an old photo of my great-grandfather wearing leather gaiters when they were building the Hoover Dam. I've always liked them! Does anyone know of a source for them?
I've got a pair of leather gaiters in outstanding condition. Not sure, but I think they date to WWI. I was just about to put them on eBay, but if you or anybody else is interested....
Bq1045-2.jpg

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Low Boots

I'd think any sort of period low boot would work.

I just got a call that my leggings arrived at my office. I'll let you know how they look when I finally get to see them.

Les

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Sharp, Jerekson! I've been looking on Ebay for frames, but they're always such a gamble. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair recently, but when I got them the frame had been soldered at some point in the past and no optometry shop would touch them. I think I'll just have to keep perusing the thrift shops for a good pair. The size you have is perfect for your face, though.

Have you tried The Grand Spectacle ( http://www.thegrandspectacle.com/ )?

Highlander

A-List Customer
Here, in a stream at the base of Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica, wearing my Stetson Panama hat, a twill shirt, hiking shorts and Merrell Hiking boots. With my ever faithful TAG/Heuer watch on my wrist.
JungleRiver07SM-vi.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Barbour Washed Twill Trooper came! I have never been so happy with a jacket. This jacket is tough, stylish, and so well-tailored. The fit is perfect. It's such a well-designed jacket that I could wear it classically or with a modern twist.

Plus, it is perfect for the field. It has huge pockets, zips up the front with a heavy brass zipper, and has buttons; so you don't need the zip. It has a semi-detached half-lining. I think the tailored jacket is an advantage in the field; none of that extra fabric to get caught on things.

I will post photos when I can. I cannot wait to wear this thing in May in Italy!

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
I'm sure this might get touched on in other threads, but I also see it as an integral part of the adventurer's wardrobe... do any of you have preferred equipment of a more combative nature? Do any of the bold FL Adventurers have a preferred rifle for instance? I'm sure it really completes the outfit!

Mike K.

One Too Many
LordJohnRoxton said:
I'm sure this might get touched on in other threads, but I also see it as an integral part of the adventurer's wardrobe... do any of you have preferred equipment of a more combative nature? Do any of the bold FL Adventurers have a preferred rifle for instance? I'm sure it really completes the outfit!
But of course!!

<--- Just check the avatar. That's "Matilda" at my side...single-shot, .30-30Win (although might be upgrading to a .45-70 barrel).

Not seen is a utilitarian pocket knife and a machete.

Bernard Newman

New in Town
An relative of mine had a Mannlicher 95. He said that those rifles are very reliable and sturdy, but it requires quite a lot of maintenance. I've shot it once and I think that it has a considerable recoil (I was only used to shoot during military service), but I like the firing rate that the straight-pull bolt allows.
I'd go for it. (But as an Austrian I'm biased;))

Cheers,
Bernhard

rumblefish

One Too Many
LordJohnRoxton said:
I'm thinking of picking up a Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 this weekend. My weapons apparently need to be vintage ;) Does anybody have any opinions on that particular weapon?

LordJohn...
I'm a big fan of Mannlicher Schoenauer, and I'd have a lot to say about their line from prewar to the MCAs. For the model you looking for the ony advice I have to offer is, find out how available ammo and/or reloading supplies are for the caliber of the gun you choose. If a rechambered version is OK with you, I'd go with 8MM Mauser.

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
rumblefish said:
LordJohn...
I'm a big fan of Mannlicher Schoenauer, and I'd have a lot to say about their line from prewar to the MCAs. For the model you looking for the ony advice I have to offer is, find out how available ammo and/or reloading supplies are for the caliber of the gun you choose. If a rechambered version is OK with you, I'd go with 8MM Mauser.

Very good point! I'm looking at the 8x56mmR version... not quite certain about availability of the ammunition at present....

Finnish M39

Still in cosmoline! I have a Finnish M39 that was remanufactured by Sako. The Finns had captured so many Russian 1891 Moisan Nagant rifles that they had several of their rifle manufacturers upgrading them for use by the Finn Army and I think their version of the National Guard.

The M39 is a legendary rifle noted for superb accuracy. You can read about them on line. One of these days i will clean it up, do a refinish on the stock and contemplate scoping it as a long range rifle. I have not scoped any of my rifles.

When I take it apart to clean & refinish it I'll get to see the year of manufacture for the original bolt action, it could even be pre-1900.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner