Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I think it's been said here in relation to conversations with WW2 and later UK special forces personnel (sorry, no thread ref.) that most of the men spoken to were interested in technical specifications of vehicles, weapons, etc., rather than items of clothing.

Perhaps your experience shows that that's generally the case in the US as well.

Without anything more than a well-read general interest in the subject, I'd always assumed (not wishing at all to question your sartorial interests :D) that special forces would be more interested in tinkering with stuff and doing things rather than dressing the part.

Creeping Past said:
I think it's been said here in relation to conversations with WW2 and later UK special forces personnel (sorry, no thread ref.) that most of the men spoken to were interested in technical specifications of vehicles, weapons, etc., rather than items of clothing.

Without anything more than a well-read general interest in the subject, I'd always assumed (not wishing at all to question your sartorial interests :D) that special forces would be more interested in tinkering with stuff and doing things rather than dressing the part.

But Special Units and special groups often had things from patches to head gear that did set them apart. It was used to develope an easily reconized device to bring a group together and help develope a special comraderie.

So things such as berets were coveted by certain groups and a certain panache went with some of the clothing , gear and the way it was worn. There was also for some people a disdain for some of these things when worn by those not entitled and that created some tension. In the Viet Nam era there were people that were essentially "in the rear with the gear" that dressed the part of men of action and were refered to as Saigon Cowboys in some circles. I am sure other references were used too.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:

Very true! My interests do vary somewhat that my compatriots. My interest in the hat, though was sparked because I was so disappointed in my issue boonie. That thing was always in my face, and the slightest breeze pushed the brim down over my eyes. I wanted the Air Commando boonie for practical reasons, but also for the camaraderie that John in Covina mentioned. I wanted to identify with those that had been there and done that! Alas, the Spec Ops mentality is not what many think. Maybe it was my unit, but they were definitely more interested in trying to impress girls than actually being high speed/low drag. As long as they had baubles on their chests and some form of firearm, they were warriors, as far as they were concerned. I was the armorer for my unit, and was down issuing weapons to a team that was going to the field. The team leader passed out the pistols to his team, then handed me one. I said, "I'm not going out to the field this trip." He told me to carry one anyway. "Why," I asked. He looked at me with a look of total surprise, and said, "Because you can!"

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I rolled up the front of my (woodland) boonie to keep it out of my eyes, worked better with optics as well. I could "snap brim" it down if I needed the shade.

The new issue ones have a brim that goes on forever. I got out shortly after they were issued but I think I'd have ended up trimming it a bit.

WH1

Practically Family
hate the new boonie covers issued in the corps, too big and flimsy. wore the old 8 point when not in kevlar this last deployment. favorite boonie was the one issued during desert storm nice mid sized brim. Boonie fashion is very important in the world of grunts. one of my old buds had a whole schtick about analyzing your personality based on the way you rolled your brim.lol
we had way too much time on our hands and not enough alcohol.:eek: lol

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
WH1 said:
Boonie fashion is very important in the world of grunts. one of my old buds had a whole schtick about analyzing your personality based on the way you rolled your brim.lol
we had way too much time on our hands and not enough alcohol.:eek: lol

I wasn't a grunt, but when I hit the field, I flipped the front of the brim up. What does that say?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
I'd always assumed that special forces would be more interested in tinkering with stuff and doing things rather than dressing the part.

...or explaining how things are necessarily acquired or lost:
negotiable instruments, cash, fine art, gold, jewelry,
several cases of Scotch (single-malt, ordered by a general officer
for his personal use), electronics, diving gear (Aegean Sea
diving is strictly regulated) and a MG that could never be found again,
so the Criminal Investigation Dees would not bother with any
further unnecessary inquiry. [angel]

jeep44

One of the Regulars
My son's a Marine Officer. He just absolutely hates the boonie hat,and won't wear it-too sloppy looking for a Marine, in his opinion.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
jeep44 said:
My son's a Marine Officer. He just absolutely hates the boonie hat,and won't wear it-too sloppy looking for a Marine, in his opinion.

:eek:fftopic:
An excellent point.
I have always admired the Corps for its professionalism and exacting
no-nonsense approach, all the more so where field standards are involved.
There is no sloppiness about the Marine Corps. See a Marine in public,
and the Marine is squared away; not so with the other branches;
particularly my own, the US Army. I recently passed through an airport
and had to stop and advise a soldier on a uniform issue-lapel brass wear,
and half-masted tie with Class A greens. It boils down to a lack of
discipline, and ultimately, professionalism. :(

WH1

Practically Family
Harp said:
An excellent point.

As a Marine I am glad to hear you think highly of the corps and our standards. But I would also point out that there are plenty of outstanding combat outfits in the army which hold their own to similar high standards and enforce them consistently. I think it is more a reflection of our society and its lowered standards. The Marine Corps is a smaller service and our recruits are joining primarily because they want to earn the title Marine, not for college money or job skills, so they are more inclined to have pride in the title and pride in the uniform. Plus they never know when an evil minded SNCO will catch them!:rage: :D

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Nice! Hang onto it, because if it still has the Air Commando arch on it, it's pretty darn rare, at least in my experience.

When I was in Spec Ops I tried like hell to find one of these, but could never find one that fit. The other guys in my unit, despite wanting to carry their M-4s everywhere they went, had zero interest in the Air Commando legacy. They thought I was goofy.

I find it sad they had no interest in the Air Commando legacy considering when originally formed they were basically recruiting the best of the best even from other branches to fill their ranks. I have some photos my dad took while on a Dragon Ship as they were performing a pass mowing down a section of jungle.

They were also proficient in all weapon systems they might encounter from side arms, M-16's, AK's and even M-60's. They would often times be the first ones into an area and setup for other forces to come in, running the recon in small air planes (think cessna) and would act as air command to direct incoming cargo and troop carriers.

I still have his unit zippo from back then as well. On my last birthday he gave me his Veterans ring, he is now in assisted living after suffering 3 strokes.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Harp said:
An excellent point.

A friend of mine recently joined the Corps. He used to be a helper doing construction for mutual friend. When he started working there his manner of dress was SO BAD that he had to be told that the dress code was (and I'm quoting here) "Don't show up looking homeless." Yes, Chris dressed that bad. Last time I saw him was when he had some leave and was at church in dress blues. :eusa_clap WOW:eusa_clap. His girlfriend remarked that he spent more time getting dressed for church then she did. Now even when Chris wears a t-shirt and jeans he makes it look good. The Marines certainly got him to dress right. Oh and stand tall, no more slouching for Chris.

Matt

WH1

Practically Family
back on topic
watched ghost and the darkness last night
i enjoy the movie and particularly like pattersons hat. where can i get one or what are the specks so i can get one made?

also going to africa in july, for 10 days hunting very excited.:eusa_clap

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Phew, mind if I sit down here for a while, I have just orienteered my way through most of this thread and I need a corner of Kendal's Mint Cake.

Far be it from me to propose a return to topic but....

I'm planning a little trip this summer, in celebration of my 40th birthday. A hiking trip no less and up the backbone of Blighty. "Who cares?" I hear you cry but wait... I want to do it in vintage garb. So I cast out my queries to you all regarding said duds.

I'm looking for ideas re European outdoor apparel. Some great stuff on this thread but it is predominantly US/ Antipodean/ African
in nature (aside from the sumptuous mise-on-scenes of Mr.Tank that make me wretched with lust). Anything 1900-1950 will do but I'm looking for still-in-production, repro or look-a-like stuff not the old:

"my friend had a cousin who once saw a photo of a teenage Baden Powell wearing shorts spun from the hair of his grandmother, they do come up from time to time on Ebay and if you employ a small army of cub scouts to continually trawl every category 24/7 you'll most likely find a pair before you loose the physical ability to wear them..... etc"

I'm thinking more along the lines of: "Blah blah sells a great pair of leather blah blahs that are a dead ringer for pre war blah blahs" if you catch my drift?

I'm probably not going to camp but will be walking 25-30 miles a day for 2 weeks. I do have a list of possibles but I'm continually amazed at what you people have in your Rolodex's. Help me out and I'll send you a postcard (probably from the Mountain Rescue helicopter which will no doubt play a part in my adventure).

Mr Tank, I especially hope this jaunt captures your imagination and that you able to proffer some insight as to how to replicate your original outdoor lovelies!!

ps It'll be an English July so all weathers to be catered for

dit dah

One of the Regulars
pps

Living as I do a little way from the place Robert DeNiro quaintly refers to as "Herford" in Ronin I was thinking of popping in to Stirling Lines and suggesting that they henceforth include the navigation of this thread in Selection, possibly even if favour of the Brecons.

I can see even the most capable and able bodied men slumped by the side of page 60, begging for the truck home. Not many would have the stamina and inner reserves to reach the final page in tact.

Perhaps time to introduce an "Elite Loungers" cap badge?

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mr Past, the threads are smashing. Always feels a little amateurish to have raised something that's already being discussed at length elsewhere, "hey has anyone heard of a small Scottish company that makes reproduction leathers..." style (I never said that for the record).

Don't know whether to bang away here or ditch this and migrate over there....

It is more tweedy over there....

Right I'm off..

Harp

I'll Lock Up
dit dah said:
pps

...and suggesting that they henceforth include the navigation of this thread in Selection, possibly even if favour of the Brecons.
I can see even the most capable and able bodied men slumped by the side of page 60, begging for the truck home...

"Crabstakes, right." ;)

...sorry about me earlier tear lads, just kick me in the arse next time. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW